Elitism of Former and Current Marching Members

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Do you sense elitism in those who have or do march drum corps?

• Yes, and I have marched
    • Yes, and I have not marched
    • No, and I have marched
    • No, and I have not marched

In the past I have noticed a fair amount of elitism in people who have marched drum corps directed at those who are not, even to the point an opinion about a show from one who has yet to marched is considered cringe-worthy. I sense a sentiment among some current and former marching members that no opinion from anyone who hasn't marched is to be taken seriously. What is your take on this matter?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted no. Not to be elitist at all, but there are some things (it sounds like the case in question was not one of these, but it happens) that you really just can't understand fully until you've spent some time out there. You should try to do that sometime soon, Hroth. It would do you good, I think.

This kind of thing has always bothered me. This forum is Drum Corps Planet. It would stand to reason, then, that most of the people who are here have marched in a corps, a long time ago or just recently (within the last 5 years say) or have never marched but enjoy the activity or would like to march someday.

I never intend to come off sounding "elitist" because I actually did march in three different corps, but I DID march in three different corps b**bs , So I can speak from three different levels of competitive placement, corps ability and the different levels of attitude and habits each corps had.

There are a lot of people here who never did march in a drum corps, and I have learned a TON about corps from them... some facts that I did not know, and perspective from the outside looking in for years and years. But if you never marched in a corps, and the forum is called Drum Corps Planet, you're gonna get a lot of people who did march, and if point/counterpoint gets down to it, the ones that marched can say "I was there and did it."

For instance, I can tell someone a lot about WWII and the Army Air Corps and B-24 Liberators. But my father FLEW a B-24 Liberator, he DID fly over Berlin and drop bombs on it, he WAS in WWII, and I have actually done NONE of those things. It doesn't make him "elitist" when he asks me "were you there?" or "did YOU do it?" when we would get into a debate about things. (Actually, my dad passed away, but the point made is to reflect what used to happen...)

No one here should feel slighted if the "did you march" card is ultimately played. No offense ever meant on MY part if it ever came down to that...

My humble opinion;

If you haven't done it, how can you voice an opinion on it. Arm chair football players, SEAL wannabes, drum corps fans who speak as if they have marched.

All of these are just like the other, all of these things just kinda belong...everybody sing!!!! b**bs

ed. note Do not take this as a bash against people who did not march. I have been told by people who did not march that my era of drum corps was of no value...that's what rips my hide.

Edited by Tansea

Amen

My humble opinion;

If you haven't done it, how can you voice an opinion on it. Arm chair football players, SEAL wannabes, drum corps fans who speak as if they have marched.

All of these are just like the other, all of these things just kinda belong...everybody sing!!!! b**bs

ed. note Do not take this as a bash against people who did not march. I have been told by people who did not march that my era of drum corps was of no value...that's what rips my hide.

Let's see...using that logic, if you have not murdered someone, you do not have a right to voice an opinion about murder? If you have not taken drugs, you cannot say anything about their illegal usage? Valid opinions are based on knowledge; and you do not have to do it in order to know about it...especially an activity that has a spectator component (such as DC). But you need to have a base of what you are talking about to validate your opinions. Again, using the "Have you done it?" defense is a PC-tactic to invalidate one's opinion and shut a conversation/debate down.

NOW...if someone has not been exposed to a particular era, then try to pontificate on that era, then their opinions are uninformed. And then invalid.

Edited by prodigal bari

Sometimes people accuse us of being egotistical....you know....looking down our noses at marching bands etc. Alright fine. Maybe we do come across that way at times. But we've always worked hard at what we do, and it's just our way of being proud of it.

...ed. note Do not take this as a bash against people who did not march. I have been told by people who did not march that my era of drum corps was of no value...that's what rips my hide.

That's unfortunate. Just don't lump us all together. Some of us DO appreciate that era. B)

I haven't marched. I have my opinions. But I respect everyone who has marched.

I have my opinion as a fan; you (in a general sense) have your opinion as a marcher. :)

Edited by i_play_percussion

So unless I've produced a motion picture, I can't express my opinion about movies I've seen? That is absurd. There is no difference between that analogy and this situation. One's knowledge of drum corps show design has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not that person has participated in a show himself.

And GGarrett, what's to say there aren't members of DCP who are huge fans of drum corps and drum corps shows but have absolutely no desire to march? I know many people like this.