Phantom Regiment shows...

Phantom Regiment shows  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which Phantom Regiment show drew you into the organization or activity?

• 2003 (I'm sure there are a lot of you!)
    • 1994 (My year! Anyone??)
    • Previous show listed below
  2. 2. Which Phantom Regiment show drew you into the activity or organization?

• 1958 and before (Jim Wren & Co!)

Spooky, we played 1812 in '83. Spartacus was in '81 and '82, and it looks like you're talking about the '82 show. Hated the commentary during the broadcast, since "Reliable Rondo" was wrong most of the time...until he got a libretto.

Corey, playing 1812 was everything it was cracked up to be, wasn't it? I loved playing that tune. There's just something about playing 1812 on a euph.

SUTA!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spooky, we played 1812 in '83. Spartacus was in '81 and '82, and it looks like you're talking about the '82 show. Hated the commentary during the broadcast, since "Reliable Rondo" was wrong most of the time...until he got a libretto.

Corey, playing 1812 was everything it was cracked up to be, wasn't it? I loved playing that tune. There's just something about playing 1812 on a euph.

SUTA!!!

JD - Was the '83 Broadcast the one where Reliable Rondo was sitting with Special Guest Announcer Carmine Appice, or was that in years prior?

Coincidentally, 89 was the year that piqued my interest in Regiment. This was my first year of drum corps exposure--no live performances, just a grainy, over-the-air VHS tape of the PBS broadcast that was played mercilessly over and over again, till it was nearly un-viewable. After my first summer of marching, I was pretty much resigned to hang up my drum corps career. I wasn't planning on marching again with Sky and the other corps that I was interested in (with Regiment being at the top of the list) seemed too far away to be feasible. However, as I mentioned on a previous thread, talking to you and Peter during that fall season of ETSU marching band helped reel me back in. (You even showed me the uniform you'd managed to hang on to! How'd you manage that?) Once he mentioned that the corps was playing 1812, the baritone player in me practically salivated at the idea of playing that tune in a Regiment uniform.

your icon/avatar made me pee a little

JD - Was the '83 Broadcast the one where Reliable Rondo was sitting with Special Guest Announcer Carmine Appice, or was that in years prior?

I think Carmen Appice was on the '81 broadcast. Chuck Mangione was on the '83 broadcast. When we were performing the beginning of 1812, Mangione was less than 15 yards from me.

That comment made me laugh alot. And pee a little.

SUTA!!!

No doubt. It was a blast (figuritively and literally). Finals night was a bit of a bummer, but the crowd sure digged us and the season, on the whole, was fun for me.

That's the winner of the ugliest dog in the world (or is it USA?--can't remember...) contest. I'm not sure even a mother could love that face.

No doubt. It was a blast (figuritively and literally). Finals night was a bit of a bummer, but the crowd sure digged us and the season, on the whole, was fun for me.

The crowd loved when we played 1812, too. Playing a euph was a unique experience, but had a bad habit of sticking out of the ensemble at times when I got emotional during a performance. I was pre-Buick, but do like the moniker. Got the Dan Farrell 5 pound ankle weight treatment for a case of "heavy euph" in '82. :P

The crowd loved when we played 1812, too. Playing a euph was a unique experience, but had a bad habit of sticking out of the ensemble at times when I got emotional during a performance. I was pre-Buick, but do like the moniker. Got the Dan Farrell 5 pound ankle weight treatment for a case of "heavy euph" in '82. :P

I think the weight was pretty much standard issue for the June hell week(s) in my day. Sucked. ^0^

I think the weight was pretty much standard issue for the June hell week(s) in my day. Sucked. ^0^

Oh yeah....I recall those days.

What always helped me was the ankle weights. Wearing those in the early days of summer really helped out. So did tricep and deltoid workouts. A word to the wise from your ol' uncle Tsar.