Best Drum Line in History?

There are so many factors that make a good drumline....

When it comes to musicality, no one can beat Phantom 06. While their book might not have been as difficult as many other drumlines, the touch and control displayed by that battery is unsurpassed.

When it comes to a drum line approaching the drum with passion and aggressiveness, SCV 04 wins. It's hard to ram a bunch of notes when you are teaching a groove based technique package, but it's because the entire drumline is grooving that they approached their playing the way they did.

Overall cleanness, I'd probably say BD 97.

From a compositional standpoint, Cavies 00. Metrically this book blows others out of the water. Wierd time signatures and uncommon tuplets are everywhere in these notes, and the line pulls it off without a sweat.

Sound quality wise, the Cadets 01-03 and 05 drumlines beat the hell out of their drums. No other drumline really puts that much velocity behind their stroke.

From a drill and listening situation standpoint, I'd say star 93. Having a line that stretches half way across the field with 2 separate tenor lines one each end must have been #### near impossible to clean. In addition, all of the stuff with the line splitting and coming back together.

Edited by Imamoonvomit

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I just posted on another thread that to this day I believe 87 SCV had the cleanest, most captivating drumline I've ever seen on the field. Scary good! Nobody was touching that drumline. (I know they were outscored in finals by Garfield, but ... Holy Moly. 87 SCV had the goods.)

I saw SCV in 1987 at Prelims of SCI East. They were first after the intermission, and the drumlind was at the top of the hill, running the drum solo. I was standing back away from the line (they scared me). Ralph grabs my hand and has me stand in FRONT of him as they played. I nearly wet myself!!!!!

HANDS DOWN one the top 5 lines of ALL TIME. Oh yeah, the Blue Devils 84,85,86

LINK REMOVED--LM

I...love you?

This is one of the things I've wished for forever...now I'd just like a finals copy of 2000 Cavaliers. My life would be complete then.

ALSO, I must say that Star 93 may have had one of the best snarelines of all time. Man those first generation Pearl free-floaters sounded fantastic. Heck, all the drums sounded good...they tuned them fantastically well!

Edited by Lance

I...love you?

This is one of the things I've wished for forever...now I'd just like a finals copy of 2000 Cavaliers. My life would be complete then.

I have Cavies 2000 finals judge tape.

SCV 98 needs to be recognized - Snare feature was innovative, the way it was written and executed.

I completely agree - the interpretation and execution was great. One of my favorite snare breaks.

There are too many great lines to pick one ---- here are a few that I would consider the best

1987 SCV

1991 SCV

1989 Cadets

83-90 Blue Devils

2003 SCV

2006 PR

Is it the 1992 Cavaliers drumline that is supposed to be pretty darn good?

I have a copy of the 1992 snare break from that show...it's darned hard. They DID win drums that year.

Oakland Crusaders in the late 70's.

Since this thread turned into great drumlines not the best over all, IMO 1983 27th drumline should be put in there. They had a great book and were really exposed. I think I like this line better than 84's.

who would be the best line of the 70's 80's 90's and today. if you could pick just one from each decade. Very tough to compare lines of today with the movement they do compared to drumlines of the 70's and 80's going up and down the 50.