Best Drum Line in History?

I've gotta keep pushing the 2000 Cavaliers line. I wish there was more video of this line.

This was the first year my brother marched Cavaliers (on baritone) and at that point, I wasn't a drummer yet. I think I saw this line in the lot about twice the whole season but nowadays I'm really wishing I had watched them more.

The 2000 Cavaliers drumline must be one of, if not THE most underrated drumline of all time. People always listen to that show and are like "blah blah, you can't hear the drumline half the time, they're playing easy stuff, blah blah!" That is the beauty of Kuhn's (and all the other staff that year) writing. It sounds easy and looks easy but once you pick up a sheet of the music, you wonder how a line of 9 snares can clean that stuff.

I don't know, something just gets me about this line. Watching my 2000 DVD, there is just something different about this drumline. They are freakin' intense! Just the way they march and carry their drums strikes me differently than any other line I've ever seen. The center snare sure was a beast as well...Ellis Hampton I believe. He sure was scary looking in person.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets '05 - notes, notes, and more notes (and clean....)

Phantom '05 - I liked it better than '06

Bluecoats '05, '06 - ridiculous snareline

SCV '89, '99, '03, '04 - no need to discuss it

Crossmen '92

80s Bridgemen

Edit: I'm going to add one here that is NEVER mentioned. Cavies '05. I had that playing in the car the other day and I heard a LOT of things I'd never heard before since the volume was cranked up a little, and my car has far better speakers than my computer. Entire percussion section (as in pit, snares, tenors, bass) was amazing.

Edited by Carl306

Cadets 2003 and 2005

Very tasteful playing within the ensemble, and killer drum features

Ditto

I was thinking how it's difficult in some ways to compare lines across time and space. For instance, the pre-mid 80s lines played many more notes overall.

I think the conception of the battery in those days was of the rhythmic heart of the corps, so there were few extended rests. The Cadets weren't the greatest line in the mid-80s, but they changed the style to a more symphonic style where the battery mainly played accent parts, and spend a good part of the show resting, while the pit became vastly more important. Also, corps with smaller less powerful brass sections often don't have a choice in the amount of notes they play or the style. Smaller corps still resemble the earlier corps in their function within the musical unit. I agreed that the Cadets of recent years were very good, but it seems like they were often riffing and resting. I may be off base here, b/c these are half-formed impressions.

Well from the corps I've seen nothing beats the 2 tick performance of the 1982 Bridgemen.

But I have heard noone could touch the 1977 Oakland Crusaders. Didn't make finals but won drums going away in DCI prelims.

Pretty obvious that there is no one "single best" drumline. How about best drum line traditions. The Corps that year after year have a drum line at the top or close to the top of all lines for that year.

Cadets?

Blue Devils?

SCV?

Edited by BlueByYou2000

Well from the corps I've seen nothing beats the 2 tick performance of the 1982 Bridgemen.

Pat Petrillo played us a one-tick performance of the Caballeros once.

But I have heard noone could touch the 1977 Oakland Crusaders. Didn't make finals but won drums going away in DCI prelims.

Their show was just exposure to error all over the place. Ridiculously clean.