NEW BLUECOATS UNIS!

I like this a great deal. For a change, we see something that actually is original and not a combination of Jacket #3 with Sash #7 and Gauntlets #D-36.

The whole rebranding is very slick (you can see other pieces of the package - trade show booth, press kit, etc. on the designer's website).

Only thing that bugs me is the logo. I really like the shield, the colors, the silver. It is just the slanted B in the non-slanted shield. Every time I look at it it seems off-balance, like it is too heavy on the right and about to tip over.

Great job overall. They have taken their rise in status seriously and seem to want to present themselves at that level.

I could be wrong, and maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I believe the slanting "B" is designed to show progress, movement, and forward thinking, while the badge is a historical reference and depicts their roots. Old and new at the same time possibly? I can see what you're saying about the balance though.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Stanbury hack job.

Everyone looks like everyone...

Actually, that is not true at all. The designer of the new uniform does not work for Stanbury. Bradely Sexton (whose studio has a logo on the front page) was the artistic designer for the uniform. In Sexton, the Bluecoats wanted a fresh set of eyes--someone who was not familiar with current trends and limitations in marching apparel. When the Sexton design was offered to Stanbury for production, their designers went to work on a sketch--something that was not a Stanbury design. They did a remarkable job of translating a sketch from someone who does not work for their firm and worked around ideas that most fit the material and production machines in use. The combination created a fantastic vision.

Kudos Bradley Sexton!

Kudos Stanbury!

Elmo Blatch

It's pretty cool. Yeah, it does resemble Blue Devils a bit, but that is why the helmet is there (Bluecoats must always have a helmet). One thing I am concerned about (I am surprised no one has mentioned this) is the crotch area. The pants do some wierd things there and it looks like that could restrict a step size. Does anyone else see this. But overall just a very good uniform update. Probably the best update since Crown in 2003.

It's pretty cool. Yeah, it does resemble Blue Devils a bit, but that is why the helmet is there (Bluecoats must always have a helmet). One thing I am concerned about (I am surprised no one has mentioned this) is the crotch area. The pants do some wierd things there and it looks like that could restrict a step size. Does anyone else see this. But overall just a very good uniform update. Probably the best update since Crown in 2003.

I thought the tayloring in that area was also a bit off. I also noticed the black on black tuxedo style stripes are on the front of each leg instead of the side. It will be nice to how they look on the field with the whole corps next Saturday,

I believe this is a sketch and not an actual picture so the crotch area, and the fact that his legs look way too short with the crotch really low is not real. Wait until you see a picture of actual people in the uniform.

I could be wrong, and maybe I'm stating the obvious, but I believe the slanting "B" is designed to show progress, movement, and forward thinking, while the badge is a historical reference and depicts their roots. Old and new at the same time possibly? I can see what you're saying about the balance though.

Oh yeah, I completely understand the concept and like it. Designs have a balance point, which can't really be described, but is a sense you get of visual weight. Something with that B is just a bit heavy on the right side when locked inside the shield, to me anyway, but I do logo work all the time so notice these things.

I still think the overall look is great.

I believe this is a sketch and not an actual picture so the crotch area, and the fact that his legs look way too short with the crotch really low is not real. Wait until you see a picture of actual people in the uniform.

It's an actual photo. The photographers name is on the right side of the page.

edit: it's an actual photo of a person in the uniform, but with some lighting effects added.

Edited by rmurrey74