Cadets 2007 show

lets hope the judges and DCI start to understand some day that the

vast majority of drum corps fans think narration, especially in excess, just plain ruins a show.

But let's also start to understand that we cannot just limit what corps can do to what the "majority" of die-hard drum corps fans want. When it comes to the audiences in the largest percentage of shows throughout the year (not finals and major regional, etc. events) there are TONS of band folk, locals who are primarily there to support the fundraising arm of the event, relatives of corps members who rarely (only the years their relative is in a corps) attend drum corps shows, etc. So what we drum corps nuts feel is "acceptable" and not differs from them. And from the applause I heard at local shows for The Cadets drumspeak in 2005 and female vocalist in 2006, MANY of those fans are OK with things many die-hard drum corps nuts go ballistic and constantly complain over.

So I think DCI and show sponsors are OK with it and are grateful for the additional variety it offers. Corps can now use or not use: narration, amplification, vocals, symmetrical or asymmetrical drills, G bugles or Bb horns, jazz or classical, etc., etc., etc.; each of these options thrilling some audience members and being of no interest to others.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why does drum corps have to tell a story these days? Can't it just be music and drill? I don't think Madison 95 or 96 had a story or plot to it. if there was a story, who cares. Its kick ### music. I even forget Cadets 05 or 06 had narration. Who cares what the story is. Once again, those were kick ### music selections with kick ### drill.

Faust? what? there's a story to that? Not when you listen. its just good music. Did BD's 06 show have a story? I dunno, but i sure liked the music. Cavies 02 didn't have much of a story!

Cavies '06 on the other hand didn't require a story to be successful, but i'm sure if you didn't see the drill some of us would be lost. It did have a heavy theme tho

There are different types of shows out there these days. Some with entire plots, some with voice for guidance on the plot, and others that portray a theme. What it really comes down to is the music. If your hornline can't play or your arranger can't arrange, you're screwed. No one's gonna care what the plot or theme is.

K.I.S.S.

Edited by Jedicadet05

How is narration judged?

Is it content, balance, delivery, timing or just that big vague notion of GE?

Frankly, if I were a judge, I’d hammer it for about many different reasons

are the flubs in actual performance only counted once or each time there is a weak deliver that limits the understanding of what is being spoken? How do they judge vocal articulation, acting and such…

it's on there again, in 3 segments. watched the whole thing a little bit ago. i don't like it, to me it just sounds awful.

I am viewing it now.

All I can say is, "Oh my goodness" and "Bless their hearts, they are working so hard arn't they..."

Edited by Cop

I really, really want to like this show. The music is fun; the homage to 87 in the beginning, while somewhat trite, is fun.

...but the whole "we are human beings" with the little "ba-bummm" right after... :doh: It sets the tone for the entirety of the rest of the production, which seems to say "We're going to give this gravitas, look, look, we're deep" in a cloying manner.

With Hop's personal motivation style taken into account, I can understand some of the thought process in play...but the execution narration-wise just doesn't convey it.

I just can't get past it.

Perhaps, instead of more narration...what about a little 10-12 "mini-block" of Cadets horns/drum/guard, complete with DM...actors if you will...that can act out the long days, rehearsals and so forth without so much beating us over the head about it in the spoken parts.

It could be very meta to have a "drum corps" within a drum corps, and definitely might be considered more "out of the box" than what we've seen from narration and this show concept so far.

...but the whole "we are human beings" with the little "ba-bummm" right after... :doh: It sets the tone for the entirety of the rest of the production, which seems to say "We're going to give this gravitas, look, look, we're deep" in a cloying manner.

Haven't heard the media yet... but this sounds similar to the wanna-be intellectual approach of Boston 2004. Would you agree or disagree?

Edited by Maedhros

It could be very meta to have a "drum corps" within a drum corps, and definitely might be considered more "out of the box" than what we've seen from narration and this show concept so far.

I like this idea.

What's there now, I feel like it's me trying to hear this excellent drum and bugle corps over the person next to me in the stands, who is talking incessantly about what they believe. That was just my first impression. Man, what a great corps this is, though. Scads of talent.

I don't hate it at all...so just to be clear on that. Maybe I'll grow to love it. Who knows. It's a neat show. And the uniforms are looovely.

Having heard the media yet... but this sounds similar to the wanna-be intellectual approach of Boston 2004. Would you agree or disagree?

To be honest, I would agree. Depth for the sake of "depth" comes across as insulting somewhat. Let me temper that a bit, though, to be fair.

I know that there's a geniune root cause here that Hop is trying to put forth..."This I Believe" is a intensely personal segment on NPR in many regards. However, I don't think you can really carry the real fullness of the experience of beign a Cadet/drum corps/etc without showing the "ugly" as well.

Think about a great documentary you've seen...never do you see it presented as "Look! We did all this work, and we were all happy and dedicated and all for it and puppies and sunshine! Go us!" There's struggle involved, and as someone elses sig around here says "The hard is what makes it great."

Having a narrator say "run it again" in the show doesn't really put that across. The anguish in an guard members performance...the rise-fall-rise emotional nature of show design...I think that can. We need more of that! :)