Cadets 2007 show

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the music apart from the nod to 87 with appalachian Springs and the drill seems like its going in the right direction. As for the narration, well all that is missing is " Todays letter is " and then that would be totally amazing.

Just think if narration was around in 1999 SCV's Blue shades would been like a 100 times cooler. Maybe next year Vanguard, maybe.

...some good points. It's difficult (for me at least) to frame this show as a new way of experiencing drum corps when Cavaliers, Regiment, etc do the old way so well, though. :P

So to you every drum corps show MUST be the same way every time and every year?

So to you every drum corps show MUST be the same way every time and every year?

Er...let's read all the way through the thread and see that's not the case. Even as a anti-narration/anti-amplification person, I've pontificated a few ways that the Cadets show could be indeed, different, rather than a ham-handed attempt to try to marry what a drum corps does with how it does it.

Also, the use of the :P in my quote you used probably means I was joking around.

But, just for you:

1156597670256mg9.jpg

:lolhit:

The End. :)

I really can't comprehend what audience they are going after with the continual narration.

Last year in Madison I heard so many comments like "what a shame to ruin such a good show",

"such a great corps but.....", lets hope the judges and DCI start to understand some day that the

vast majority of drum corps fans think narration, especially in excess, just plain ruins a show.

Let's hope they continue to realize that no it does NOT ruin a show, and comments by a few fans make no difference overall.

Let's hope they continue to realize that no it does NOT ruin a show, and comments by a few fans make no difference overall.

Whats hilarious to me is that the tone of this and every other cadets thread has changed completely from; 'no, all narration and amps are terrible and I never want to ever hear them say anything ever'...to 'its not that i dont like the narration, i just think the narration is poorly done'. I know there are still people who hold the first viewpoint, but they are fast becoming (a very vocal) minority, while the rest of us are arguing ways that narration could be effective. In the few weeks that the narration clips has been up, the crusade against narration has gone largely from an argument of principle, to an argument of quality. If i were a certain corps director, despite all the negative hype, I think I'd be pretty happy with the way things are going.

Er...let's read all the way through the thread and see that's not the case. Even as a anti-narration/anti-amplification person, I've pontificated a few ways that the Cadets show could be indeed, different, rather than a ham-handed attempt to try to marry what a drum corps does with how it does it.

I started from the 12th and read to the end.

Also, the use of the :P in my quote you used probably means I was joking around.

Somehow I missed it. Sorry....love the pic. Is it related to the "ham-handed" in the above? :)

I think most fans want the hypothetical "what's best" for the members of the Cadets and all drum corps, generally. And if they can have a great show that uses amplification and narration and whatever else, then cool. It's poor use of these things that has bothered me, just like poor use of horns and drums annoys me (and I'm not blaming the members when I say that...some arrangements just don't do it for me...I think all fans could say the same thing).

It's not a bad show. Really. But, like all shows, I do think it could be a better show. And by the end of the season, I'm certain it will be just that.

Whats hilarious to me is that the tone of this and every other cadets thread has changed completely from; 'no, all narration and amps are terrible and I never want to ever hear them say anything ever'...to 'its not that i dont like the narration, i just think the narration is poorly done'. I know there are still people who hold the first viewpoint, but they are fast becoming (a very vocal) minority, while the rest of us are arguing ways that narration could be effective. In the few weeks that the narration clips has been up, the crusade against narration has gone largely from an argument of principle, to an argument of quality. If i were a certain corps director, despite all the negative hype, I think I'd be pretty happy with the way things are going.

Well, there's several ways to look at it:

Many people who are against amps/narration since 2004 realize its going to be around now, with no hope of having it repealed. Most have either gone over to DCA, found something else to do, or just decided to make the narrated shows their hot dog corps. I wouldn't say that there's any less hatred of amplification or narration, though. It's just after three years, most have "dealt with it". Couple that with most corps choosing not to use narration and spoken words much (Cadets excepted, of course) and, for the most part, the natives aren't so restless on the subject.

That being said, if it must be here...then, you know...if we expect the highest quality from the horns/drums/drill, why should we settle for what (in most cases) has amounted to a high-school essay submission or emo kid stylings about color?

There are ways that anything from a piano to a spoken word part to whatever else COULD work in a drum corps setting, but the problem...year after year after year...is in the execution of it. BOA, for the most part, offers very little for us to look at as a gold standard on these kinds of things. So far, though, that's all those that have used narratives have done: ape that circuit.

Therefore, the challenge is this: to once again take the lead in the marching arts world, rather than follow suit and use high schoolers (BOA/USSBA) as the creative barometer.

It can be done. People can pull from a lot of sources now: literature, music, philosophy...on top of the myriad visual design elements we have.

So, if narration/amps/electronics/flying monkeys have to be there, then I would say it's our duty to expect them to be used in the best and most professional manner possible.

...and that's something I'm pretty sure we can all get behind.