Cavaliers post 2007 show audio on youtube

I watched them rehearse all last week. The visual isn't quite what I expected it to be at this point in the season, but there are so many rookies. I suppose dirt is to be expected, even from them.

Anyway, I can still hum most of the show a week later, and I don't think I've ever hummed a Cavaliers show in my life, except for 95, and possibly a little 2004. I don't even like Billy Joel, or know many songs.

They never cease to surprise.

The rookies plus the combination of a new visual caption head will probably make for a little dirt this time of year. I imagine that will be cleaned up rather quickly. I'm interested to see how SCV's visuals will be in comparison this year.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How in the world can they be saying "Jennifer"? It sounds like "Pressure."

Trust me--it's Jennifer. I heard it directly from Jim Ancona. B)

Is it the entire corps? :lol:

Trust me--it's Jennifer. I heard it directly from Jim Ancona. B)

I'm sorry, I'm not buying it... there is no way they are saying Jennifer. There's a distinctive "shh" sound in the middle of the word.

Edited by FlamInvert122

Cavaliers Visual Package Opening Sets

I was at the BBQ rehearsal last month and I can comment on their opening visual sets. They start off the line with the battery in the middle of the field with the horns set in a giant inverted triangle suggesting the Glassmen logo. The triangle is segmented by smaller triangles by the 72 horns. The tempo is around 208 bpm so the visuals snap from one set to the next. It all seems very crisp and precise.

The horns separate to the left and right of the 50 and symmetrically center their activity around each 35 yard line. The triangles dissolve into files that combine into squads as they separate from the 50. The spread battery compresses and moves forward and squeezes between the separating horn line. The horn squads stretch and elongate into two files on the 35 yard lines. As the battery spreads out there’s a wicked bass drum feature and the horn line “march sprints" into a company front on the rear hash marks. To get to the company front the tops of the files drift left onto the hash marks and the rest of the horns cascade toward the 50 with huge steps and the company front “slings” into view from the outside toward the center – very dramatic.

I was too distracted to notice the color guard but by the time the company front is formed the color guard is doing some sort of righteous exchange thing right behind the horns. The horns have their backs to the audience and they do an about face for a big musical hit. Then, every other horn takes a step forward and they do a nifty cascade effect from left to right where the front line of horns does this hands free cartwheel thing where they sit and roll and stand up again without letting their hands touch the ground. It’s quite an athletic maneuver that kind of punches the visual exclamation point on the visual phrase they’ve just completed. Very cool.

Their marching is very clean but I think that’s simply a result of the dot method of drill design. What is most striking is that the forms and the files and the squads offer no visual ambiguity from one set to the next. Everything fits and it seems like they try to have a visual set every 8 counts which just snaps into view. Back in my marching days (’74 – ’77) we would have three or four visual sets in a song. It would take forever to get to those pictures and we’d hold them way too long as well. Modern drum corps thankfully don’t march that way but the Cavaliers visual package is at another level altogether.

Is it the entire corps? :lol:

If you haven't heard it yet, don't worry too much. I really dislike narration, but this isn't bad at all. I like it, actually :)

And it sounds like the whole corps.

I'm sorry, I'm not buying it... there is no way they are saying Jennifer. There's a distinctive "shh" sound in the middle of the word.

Perhaps it was Jennifer two weeks ago and now it is Pressure????? :lol:

I'm not buying it either...it's definitely Pressure. The movement is even named "Pressure"

There's no narration in this show. The Cavaliers will never use narration, and neither will Phantom Regiment, and that's why they are two of my favorite corps.

Edited by Hrothgar15