The Patron Saint of Drum Corps music

Although I never, in all my years in drum corps, did get to meet Hy but if he is the patron saint, then guys like Jim Prime, Sr.

(my mentor) and Tru Crawford must be part of Hy's angel brigade. A generation of true blue drum corps affectionatos.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos! And as a player for Hy in both St. Joseph Patron Cadets and St. Rita's Brassmen I can attest how great it was to play his charts. Unlike the corps of today, we never had more than 36 horns on the field but because of his ability to arrange and especially his knowledge of inner voicing, we sounded like a much larger horn line.

On a personal level, I don't think there was any one who knew how to impart what music can be to the youngsters from every economic strata! The man was amazing!

HyWithSopranos.jpg

Respectfully,

Puppet

You know there's a "rest" coming, he has his left foot in the air. :tongue:

Edited by NYSkyliner

Although I never, in all my years in drum corps, did get to meet Hy but if he is the patron saint, then guys like Jim Prime, Sr.

(my mentor) and Tru Crawford must be part of Hy's angel brigade. A generation of true blue drum corps affectionatos.

I've been afforded the privelege of both playing charts and being under the instruction of both of these "Saints". Hy had a great influence in the Midwest as well, having written quite a few charts for my Alma Mater, the Skokie/Des Plaines Vanguard, playing his charts in the '60's such as "Luck Be A Lady", "Bill Bailey", "Chicago", "Over There", "Saints Go Marchin' In", "Man of La Manchia", etc. I remember the time with the Vanguard on tour out on Randall's Island in 1966 with Hy & a bunch of of the Sky "bretheren". I'll never forget that event. Any of "youss guyss" from the Skyliners remember this???

And then also being instructed & playing Tru's charts with the RA Reunion/Alumni Corps in 2002. Yes, quite a "Brigade"!!!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s214/te...sicArranger.jpg

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?...imageID=6147766

Edited by Vanguard Rich

You know there's a "rest" coming, he has his left foot in the air. :tongue:

Do you notice that there aren't any music stands in front of the sops. I think back then most of us played by memory. Hy would play the part then we would play it back until it was right. Some did read, but most didn't I think.

You don't get that today. Most, if not all, read now. When it was a parish or neighbor hood corps, most of us came of the streets without music knowledge. It was taught, and Hy was the best.

Edited by dukecornwell

Do you notice that there aren't any music stands in front of the sops. I think back then most of us played by memory. Hy would play the part then we would play it back until it was right. Some did read, but most didn't I think.

You don't get that today. Most, if not all, read now. When it was a parish or neighbor hood corps, most of us came of the streets without music knowledge. It was taught, and Hy was the best.

that was true in those days but i have to tell you that the rochester crusaders under doc mizma, jack bullcok and corky fabrizio had to read music. the first thing they did was teach you to read. also colin campbell in the drumline demanded you read music. that was cru's way. when i came to cru in 1967 colin tahgt me to read music.........he said it was the only way. those were the great instructors of the crusaders. the demanded excellence and it started with reading

this is not to take away from hy as i ALWAYS held him in the highest reguars and man did he put out some hornlines. one that sticks out in my mind was 1971 dream. that was probably the best show sky ever did. when they got done roosevelt stadium was all blown down. there was nothing left. that was the most unbelievable corps i have ever seen............amazing :tongue:

that was true in those days but i have to tell you that the rochester crusaders under doc mizma, jack bullcok and corky fabrizio had to read music. the first thing they did was teach you to read. also colin campbell in the drumline demanded you read music. that was cru's way. when i came to cru in 1967 colin tahgt me to read music.........he said it was the only way. those were the great instructors of the crusaders. the demanded excellence and it started with reading

this is not to take away from hy as i ALWAYS held him in the highest reguars and man did he put out some hornlines. one that sticks out in my mind was 1971 dream. that was probably the best show sky ever did. when they got done roosevelt stadium was all blown down. there was nothing left. that was the most unbelievable corps i have ever seen............amazing :tongue:

1971 was Wink's (Walt Winkelman) favorite year and show too.

Every once in a while your involved in a performance that you know will be remembered for a long time. The '71 Dream was the one for me. As you start your show, you really don't know whay's going to happen. As you go on, you know that this is pretty good. As you go on further, you know it's great. It's a magical feeling and you don't know how it happens. Sure you do your weekly praticing and go thru the show maybe 20 times, and I'm sure that's part of it, but it's a feeling that I can't describe. I listen to that show maybe once every two weeks, and that feeling comes back, but I still can't describe it. I think that's what drum corps is all about that you can't get anywhere else. I'm sure you all have one show that is the one you remember like that, and tell me if I'm wrong, but it's the one that was magical.

Thanks Don.

I know what you mean for me it was a weekend in 73 the World Open on Saturday night as that show went on I knew we nailed it. The next day was the dream I think as tired as we were from the night before and getting in at 4 AM that show was as good or even better than the night before.

Kudos! And as a player for Hy in both St. Joseph Patron Cadets and St. Rita's Brassmen I can attest how great it was to play his charts. Unlike the corps of today, we never had more than 36 horns on the field but because of his ability to arrange and especially his knowledge of inner voicing, we sounded like a much larger horn line.

On a personal level, I don't think there was any one who knew how to impart what music can be to the youngsters from every economic strata! The man was amazing!

HyWithSopranos.jpg

Respectfully,

Puppet

Hy and Rita's....amazing...the only person and corps that could get away with playing 3 Blind Mice....lol

PS: He also wrote the charts for Manville Crusaders with whom I marched.

Thanks for the post Mike.

For me, the greatest book ever written was the 1963 Skyliners. EVERY tune is still a drum corps classic. Especially the show ( Dream or World Open) where Tommy Martin is stringing the triple tounging in the exit. ( 1971 Skyliners) close behind. I had the honor of playing some of that music in 1998-99 in Allentown with the Skyliner Alumni Corps.

Joe