The Patron Saint of Drum Corps music

Thanks for the post Mike.

For me, the greatest book ever written was the 1963 Skyliners. EVERY tune is still a drum corps classic. Especially the show ( Dream or World Open) where Tommy Martin is stringing the triple tounging in the exit. ( 1971 Skyliners) close behind. I had the honor of playing some of that music in 1998-99 in Allentown with the Skyliner Alumni Corps.

Joe

Yes Joe. That would have been the '63 Dream contest. After that triple tounging you can just about make out the beginning of the exit. Then the crowd let loose with their applause and you can't hear the rest of the exit. That is one of my favorite shows as was '64, '71, '72 and '75. Even when Hy arranged a "clunker" it was still head and shoulders above a lot of arrangements. It also just made his genius that much more appreciated.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know there's a "rest" coming, he has his left foot in the air. :smile:

I've looked at this photo of Hy for the 101st time, and now the light bulb goes off. In all the years of playing with different Corps, I have never practiced or played with a Corps that had a horn instructor (head horn instructor of the Corps) who actually played a horn at a rehearsal. And there's Hy playing a Soprano. :smile: Starting with the likes of Art Peters back in the '60's, all the way through to Larry Kerchner (Haven't "challenged" Larry yet to pick up a contra.). I'm wondering if this is just a "fluke" or has any one else out there been or is in this same "boat"? :smile: Sorry for the "side track".

I've looked at this photo of Hy for the 101st time, and now the light bulb goes off. In all the years of playing with different Corps, I have never practiced or played with a Corps that had a horn instructor (head horn instructor of the Corps) who actually played a horn at a rehearsal. And there's Hy playing a Soprano. :smile: Starting with the likes of Art Peters back in the '60's, all the way through to Larry Kerchner (Haven't "challenged" Larry yet to pick up a contra.). I'm wondering if this is just a "fluke" or has any one else out there been or is in this same "boat"? :smile: Sorry for the "side track".

Pepe ... Hy's disciple ... always taught with a horn in one hand and cigarette in the other ... LOL ... Genero occasionally picked up a baritone when he wanted to get a point across to someone ... Sasso also would play out a part while he was teaching ... I'm sure there are more ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

jack bullock & corky fabrizio would pick up a horn. not many would but the best were not above it.

Pepe ... Hy's disciple ... always taught with a horn in one hand and cigarette in the other ... LOL ... Genero occasionally picked up a baritone when he wanted to get a point across to someone ... Sasso also would play out a part while he was teaching ... I'm sure there are more ...

add ray fallon , frank dorritie , and art hlywa to that list .

add ray fallon , frank dorritie , and art hlywa to that list .

This is quite a list of "characters" that's been generated here. Haven't seen any names yet, of this caliber of Corps principal horn instructors who DIDN'T play while they were teaching. Must be a rare breed??? Mebbe it's just me?? :tongue:

This is quite a list of "characters" that's been generated here. Haven't seen any names yet, of this caliber of Corps principal horn instructors who DIDN'T play while they were teaching. Must be a rare breed??? Mebbe it's just me?? :tongue:

Add Gus Wilke to that list. Tom "Bucky" Swan woulsd occasionally use his horn as well.

Add Gus Wilke to that list. Tom "Bucky" Swan woulsd occasionally use his horn as well.

i think that all the great ones would pick up a horn to teach. dave martin also would when he taught crusaders in the early 80's. i think it was standard fre for that to happen.

Just for contrast, many of the drum instructors I can remember actually played in the line: John Flowers, Ray Ludee, Rod Goodheart; all played in their lines during my time.

Edited by The Oz