Cadets 2007 - Love it or Hate it?

Cadets 2007  

243 members have voted

1. 1. You've seen it...

• Love it
    • Hate it

If you respect my opinions why is this

laced with condescending comments about how I'm a "poor thing" and that I don't have any clue what I'm talking about because I don't like reality like you do and I haven't been to as many shows.

Well, its not about how many shows, its what you find out about things at those shows, who you talk to what you get from them and I get overwhelming negative responses to the Cadets and narration in general. I look to see reactions, I ask people to find out. Im only one person but dont you read the reviews here ? All parts of the country, poeple reporting the same things. I bring up shows because I travel the country to see these corps, I get the same attitudes from all parts of the country, thats why I bring up number of shows, Im not basing it on a one night or one weekend viewing. Im sorry others turn it into more than it is. You want to take your opinions as absolutes, so how are you forming them and what data/information is helping you form them, especially your dismissive attitude regarding DCP and the anti-narration folks ?? Where do you get you info, and could you share it ??? If Im wrong, correct me, Im humble, Ill admit it if Im wrong.

~G~

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you didnt get the message, I am doing this one time, by request, from a lot of your "fans"..and boy do you have many. See, I have you under the "ignore" feature. Youa re nothing more than an immature, childish, antagonist. See, you cant handle me because you oppose how I think so you have to be like a child and attack me personally. You love Cadets and all they do and because I oppose that way of thinking, you cant attack my thoughts or ideas, you attack me personally, trying to drum up support from your fellow yea folks and pro-Cadet friends. You fail to realize that I dont care what you think of me personally, never did, and never will.

Where I marched, both corps, and years is not a secret, many know, fellow marchers post here, photos of me, lil ol me, are in the archives, posted by me and others. I dont tell you because I dont like you, dont want to engage in conversation with you and add fule to yuor nasty, pitiful fire.

Everytime I post, you turn it off topic and ask me personal questions, you stalk me, you actually respond to every sinlge one of my posts, adding NOTHING to the topic, go look for yourself. And you are a band, assistant band director, in charge of shaping and molding children ??? I have an opinion but to relay it would sink to your level.

So, just to wrao up, have your fun, keep doing what you are doing, I am putting you back on ignore, and if you continue to harrass me I will continue to report you like I have many times in the past, Its sad an individual in charge of leading young kids hasnt more maturity or level of humility but I digress.

Have a nie day Txmystreaux, I would say Im looking forward to a response, but I wont see it no matter what you write, but I di have friends and they will watch and if you continue, you will be reported.

~G~

Wow...sweet...so um, when you're done talking to the people you dont want to talk to, and dignifying their non response worthy posts with responses, and answering their off topic debates with more of the same, would you mind responding to the people that are actually raising decent points?

wow...as a DCP rookie this is my first time seeing things get hot and heavy.

Sucks to anger a "DC Elder" as I'm seeing. Guess i'll try and stay away from doing that.....lol

PS: Anger=not actually angry, more like awoken or something along those lines

Edited by Jedicadet05

And therin lies the problem. You define crutches, excuses, and scapegoats in your terms. What once was established before does not cover what is possible now. Grounded pits...blah blah, you know how it goes.

THings evolve, I personally, am not against evolution, as I stated so many tomes before, I dont care about a third valve, grounded pits, thank God, carrying a xylophone is no picnic, and dancing added to guard, asymetrical drills, Bb brass, and even the amplification of the pit doesnt bother me, but narration is not natural evolution, brass and percussion are the voices to tell the story and the guard accompanies and/or enhances it. If you cant get the message across with these variables, it doesnt belong on the football field. Look at some groundbreaking shows,they pushed the envelope with defiend paramaters of creativity,not altering or adding new rules to allow new tools of creativity. THats the challenge to take an idea and adapt it to the drum corps idiom/genre, the way it was established before narration was allowed.

Nobody has eve walked away from a show with narration scratching thei head saying" wow, waht a narrator, I wanna go buy a shirt for that corp" , or "Wow, what a powerful message, I cant believe he said that".....But many have done that same thing after getting a message from a brass instrument, or a snare, or a guard moment.

Get your message to me via traditional means, dont create a new rule to alter an already established genre.

~G~

Well, its not about how many shows, its what you find out about things at those shows, who you talk to what you get from them and I get overwhelming negative responses to the Cadets and narration in general. I look to see reactions, I ask people to find out. Im only one person but dont you read the reviews here ? All parts of the country, poeple reporting the same things. I bring up shows because I travel the country to see these corps, I get the same attitudes from all parts of the country, thats why I bring up number of shows, Im not basing it on a one night or one weekend viewing. Im sorry others turn it into more than it is. You want to take your opinions as absolutes, so how are you forming them and what data/information is helping you form them, especially your dismissive attitude regarding DCP and the anti-narration folks ?? Where do you get you info, and could you share it ??? If Im wrong, correct me, Im humble, Ill admit it if Im wrong.

~G~

It's funny, because people who don't like the narration tend to report that everyone at shows hated it. The people that do like narration seem to report that they saw people enjoy it and didn't hear many negative comments.

People tend to hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see on BOTH sides. There are reviews of the same shows from last year where one reviewer says everyone around him says everyone hated The Cadets and then another person will say everyone around him enjoyed The Cadets.

Until a random sampling of people at the show are actually polled I don't think it's fair to say either way.

And again, I have never said that my opinions are absolutes. I have never said that the majority of people last year liked The Cadets or that the majority of people will like them this year, or that the majority of people liked them in any year. I am perfectly aware that my opinions are my own and other people are perfectly entitled to their own opinion but even though I've stated this countless times and in my opinion follow through with it in my posting you continue to ignore it.

Let me say again I UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE CADETS SHOW THIS YEAR. Their opinions don't bother me in the least.

wow...as a DCP rookie this is my first time seeing things get hot and heavy.

Heh, it's like flicking a switch, once the season begins. Now, unlike in the offseason, there's new material to digest and discuss, and member's favorite corps are beating or losing to other member's corps. It's a powder keg, all right.

Nobody has eve walked away from a show with narration scratching thei head saying" wow, waht a narrator, I wanna go buy a shirt for that corp" , or "Wow, what a powerful message, I cant believe he said that".....But many have done that same thing after getting a message from a brass instrument, or a snare, or a guard moment.

Get your message to me via traditional means, dont create a new rule to alter an already established genre.

~G~

I can see where you are coming from now...it is as though they suddenly changed the rules of Basketball and added an extra ball with people justifying it saying "Well now they can score twice as much!" or "it'll be twice as exciting!" I've never really thought about this in that way. However I do have three quick responses:

1. it is just allowing these things, not mandating them...there will most likely always be corps who do not use narration, or even amplification for some reason or another. The new rule just ALLOWS for more expansion and different ideas to enter the field that were impossible to try before the rule change. One need not fear for the future of "traditional" Drum Corps...

2. you are assuming that the "traditional" way to get your message across is inherently better than this new-fangled way. I wouldn't be so quick to turn a closed mind to narration -it does do a better job of getting across certain things than just horns by themselves. The messages are just different,not better or worse, than what comes across easily using music alone. Also I believe (there is that phrase again!) that people can come away from a show saying "Wow, what a powerful message, I cant believe he said that" if it is presented in the correct manner.

3. dont be so quick to say that Drum Corps is an "established game". You admit yourself to the many changes that the activity has gone through over the years...I feel it is always evolving and changing, otherwise it gets stagnant and boring..

Edited by KingJoeVII

~G~

I walked away from watching Crossmen last year saying "Wow, I really liked that narration! That was a really cool part of the show!"

It's funny, because people who don't like the narration tend to report that everyone at shows hated it. The people that do like narration seem to report that they saw people enjoy it and didn't hear many negative comments.

People tend to hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see on BOTH sides. There are reviews of the same shows from last year where one reviewer says everyone around him says everyone hated The Cadets and then another person will say everyone around him enjoyed The Cadets.

Until a random sampling of people at the show are actually polled I don't think it's fair to say either way.

Well, this true, Ive seen it also. Its sad how narration has polarized the community and instead of working together on new ideas and new ways to better durm corps we are all at odds with each other.

I am not as against narration right now as say, two years ago. Sure, I dont like it and would rather not have to go throught it, but I love drum corps, dont want to give it up and will settle for it, Crossmens use last year was fun, and Im sure there ware ways to get it right, without overdoing it. I hope it either gets done right or dies out. But Im not ready to pack it in just yet.

The Cadets of 07 have way too much narration, to the point of distraction and frustration,they put the music secondary, and are letting alot of talent fall by the wayside and play second fiddle to the voice.

~G~

And this is what happens when a thread is hijacked by one or two individuals with an agenda, that like to devolve the whole thread into petty arguments and personal attacks.....

Closed.