Cadets 2007 - Love it or Hate it?

Cadets 2007  

243 members have voted

1. 1. You've seen it...

• Love it
    • Hate it

The Cadets were "classic" just a few short years ago and I think George is bored with it. 2001-2004 were classic "cadets-blow-you-out-of-the-stands-lets-give-the-audience-what-they-want-and-then-some" years. To George these shows are old news...the Cadets have done them before and have won with them, there is really no need to just rehash things that they have already done (for a study on rehashing old ideas, just watch the Green team over the past seven years) The Cadets could change their show tomorrow and play West Side Story and it would be great, and people would love it. But, as George has said before, if you KNOW something is going to be good and work perfectly, WHY do you even need to do it? He does have a point, just think about it a little bit.

Wow, you surely bring up a VERY good point.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that depends on perspective. Like Einstein said, everything is relative.

The show experiments a lot, but in the end, it is supposed to be a show. As it stands now, we see a lot of new and interesting things and a lot of NOT. The thing is, as it stands, its not presentable. I like what they did to blue shades. Now, the only problem I think they have is cutting the narration to fit the show and finding the right people to vocalize the narration. I honnestly think they should find a point for each of the parts of the show. Do corps values, education, dedication, and ability seperately and stick to them. Don't be repetitive.

BTW, how awesome was that drill during the percussion feature! They were flying!

BTW, how awesome was that drill during the percussion feature! They were flying!

Yeah I KNOW!! That was some cool stuff going on there.

The Cadets were "classic" just a few short years ago and I think George is bored with it. 2001-2004 were classic "cadets-blow-you-out-of-the-stands-lets-give-the-audience-what-they-want-and-then-some" years. To George these shows are old news...the Cadets have done them before and have won with them, there is really no need to just rehash things that they have already done (for a study on rehashing old ideas, just watch the Green team over the past seven years) The Cadets could change their show tomorrow and play West Side Story and it would be great, and people would love it. But, as George has said before, if you KNOW something is going to be good and work perfectly, WHY do you even need to do it? He does have a point, just think about it a little bit.

Are you suggesting that The Cadets are now too good to try to win? They're bored with winning?

Are you suggesting that The Cadets are now too good to try to win? They're bored with winning?

I believe thats what he said. Not the Cadets though, just George Hopkins.

You know, some people seem kinda down on shows that are nothing but cool music with cool drill, but allow me to tell you what this show is:

Cool music, with cool drill, with narration.

The execution of this concept (and there is a great concept behind this show) is a failure. A good design would present a cohesive idea that reinforces the concept that they are trying to convey. Answer me this, in what way does the music enhance the concept that is being conveyed by the narration?

It doesn't. It almost seems as if the music is completely superfluous in the design, with some exceptions.

Love the performance levels, but this design is dead in the water, and I don't really see how some tweaks are going to solve the HUGE disconnect between the concept and the product.

(edited for grammar)

Edited by DebateGuy

Well, that depends on perspective. Like Einstein said, everything is relative.

The show experiments a lot, but in the end, it is supposed to be a show. As it stands now, we see a lot of new and interesting things and a lot of NOT. The thing is, as it stands, its not presentable. I like what they did to blue shades. Now, the only problem I think they have is cutting the narration to fit the show and finding the right people to vocalize the narration. I honnestly think they should find a point for each of the parts of the show. Do corps values, education, dedication, and ability seperately and stick to them. Don't be repetitive.

I do agree the show could use a good speech writer to clear up some of the points...what you have suggested is pretty good.

you do have to admit, their performance level is pretty consistent over the mast 20 years (with a few well known exceptions, of course)

my point is that George has been around drum corps a long time and has a very good grasp on what a winning show looks and feels like. If he wanted to make a show that is guaranteed to win, I believe (haha) that he could put together a show with a good chance of doing just that. I think in the past few years he has been placing more importance upon the experience itself and trying new things than trying to win a title. It is more like hes saying "here is some stuff that I think is pretty entertaining/cool/interesting - if it ends up winning then thats cool too."

no saying he doesnt want or like to win, just that there are things that are more important to him right now

Love the performance levels, but this design is dead in the water, and I don't really see how some tweaks are going to solve the HUGE disconnect between the concept and the product.

(edited for grammar)

I hope to God that they fix this, before the #### hits the fan.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

But, as George has said before, if you KNOW something is going to be good and work perfectly, WHY do you even need to do it?

Because if you DON'T do it then I don't get to enjoy it.