Will Crown add the narration back into their show?

If a drum corps show needs a narrator to explain it to you, then it is poorly designed, IMO. You should be able to communicate everything you need to via the musical and visual elements of a program.

So what about the symphonic stuff that Copland, Britten and other great composers wrote for narrator and orchestra??

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you just love to be so rude and snippy to those of us against narration, holding a "higher" position on the mighty DCP because you can find someone to agree with you, ie: Dead horse, odd logic, et all....truth is, you wont find arguments anymore, all has been said, those against it, for the most part already have left. At least you can be respectful of the person and attack their position, not them personally. Its a sad day when opposing points of view cant be held and those against an opposing point get nasty and personal.

I still find many things good, no great about drum corps and I aint about to give it up, but I will oppose what I dont like.

I hate narration, loathe it, and it will ruin a good show, Im hardly using odd logic, attack me all you want it just shows what a sorry state todays activity is truly in.

~G~

Some of you just love to be so rude and snippy to those of us against narration, holding a "higher" position on the mighty DCP because you can find someone to agree with you, ie: Dead horse, odd logic, et all....truth is, you wont find arguments anymore, all has been said, those against it, for the most part already have left. At least you can be respectful of the person and attack their position, not them personally. Its a sad day when opposing points of view cant be held and those against an opposing point get nasty and personal.

I still find many things good, no great about drum corps and I aint about to give it up, but I will oppose what I dont like.

I hate narration, loathe it, and it will ruin a good show, Im hardly using odd logic, attack me all you want it just shows what a sorry state todays activity is truly in.

~G~

I completely agree! I think that narration is a crutch and is unnecessary in drum corps.

My statement about the "odd logic" was directed to Hrothgar, who said he loved Crown's show last night - but that if they added narration later in the season, he suddenly wouldn't like last night's show. Doesn't that seem odd?

I completely agree! I think that narration is a crutch and is unnecessary in drum corps.

My statement about the "odd logic" was directed to Hrothgar, who said he loved Crown's show last night - but that if they added narration later in the season, he suddenly wouldn't like last night's show. Doesn't that seem odd?

Maybe he meant he wouldn't like the show at that point. Not that he would retroactively hate the show even before the bad elements were put in.

So it was a crutch for Copland and friends? Is it unnecessary for orchestras too?

I have sat through recitals of people who have played principal horn in the best orchestras in the world, doing pieces for horn, narrator and piano. It is NOT a cruch, its called being creative.

This sounds like the fight people had when spoken words were added to opera, "well why cant you just sing it!"

Edited by CornoBehnke

No, but they are used in the same way with modern marching units.

I don't see them as the same at all. A symphony has no visual element that can portray anything, lending itself to the use of narration. Do they have narrators for ballets? Not any that I've attended.