Will Crown add the narration back into their show?

Is 90% of what drum corps play?

Your logic is a little flawed.

Not anymore than claiming a piece composed for a narrator to accompany a symphony means narration should be in drum corps, which is NOT a static symphony stuck in their chairs without a visual element to tell the story.

Edited by Tekneek

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see them as the same at all. A symphony has no visual element that can portray anything, lending itself to the use of narration. Do they have narrators for ballets? Not any that I've attended.

I am sure could find a piece, I have seen people dance to poetry, so there really is no difference. And even if there was, you are never far enough that you cant see the principal dancers face, unless you are in crap seats, and thats why they are 10 bucks.

I am sure could find a piece, I have seen people dance to poetry, so there really is no difference. And even if there was, you are never far enough that you cant see the principal dancers face, unless you are in crap seats, and thats why they are 10 bucks.

And this supports the position that narrators are used for symphonies therefore they are good for drum corps how? I don't see the reason that anything with ample visiual opportunities to tell the story needs narration. There have been plenty of unusual drum corps shows through the years that managed to get by without a narrator explaining the whole thing to the (presumably ignorant) masses. If Suncoast could put Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child on the field without it, then anybody can put on a show without it.

Edited by Tekneek

And this supports the position that narrators are used for symphonies therefore they are good for drum corps how? I don't see the reason that anything with ample visiual opportunities to tell the story needs narration. There have been plenty of unusual drum corps shows through the years that managed to get by without a narrator explaining the whole thing to the (presumably ignorant) masses. If Suncoast could put Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child on the field without it, then anybody can put on a show without it.

All of the arts are related... they are interchangeable and all come form the same creative part of the mind. I know directors say they need it to be explained, I think that is a lame excuse. The truth is words are beautiful when done well. There is a reason why people write musical settings to sonnets. I am really tired I just got off a graveyard shift, I need to sleep :-)

Edited by CornoBehnke

If a drum corps show needs a narrator to explain it to you, then it is poorly designed, IMO. You should be able to communicate everything you need to via the musical and visual elements of a program.

Amen!

Yup.

Even more so. I think you are forgetting Hrothgar's Law: the better a show is without narration, the worse it is with narration.

Just for you, I hope they add a ton in so you can keep whining like a baby. Go for it, Crown! Jordan wants more narration!

I got the show without the narration, but having seen and heard where Crown was using it, it worked just fine, and was for a very short time.

I have a feeling all staffs will take a long look at everyones reaction to Cadets and go from there.

I hope they don't insert narration into their show. That hornline sounds like pure sweetness.

Just for you, I hope they add a ton in so you can keep whining like a baby. Go for it, Crown! Jordan wants more narration!

Wow.

If I didn't know any better I would have thought you'd be somewhere else on Sunday morning, not here on DCP wishing displeasure upon another human being.

I don't think they will add narration. They scored the highest in GE, and the use of narration can only help there. Talking into a mic won't make their show cleaner, and it seems like (right now) they don't need it to communicate the show.