$25 to watch runthroughs?

I know the activity needs all the financial support it can get, but perhaps ticket prices for early June shows should reflect the incomplete products that are typically on the field at this time of year?

I know what you are thinking and it makes some sense. However, the cost of putting on shows is probably the same regardless of what time of the summer it is. So that is probably the biggest factor in pricing.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen the Phantom Regiment guard productions lately?? It's no wonder it takes them so long, it's a work of art!! In addition, they did NOT have all winter to work on it. There's an activity called winter guard in which most guards don't even meet after auditions until April post WGI championships!

I know the activity needs all the financial support it can get, but perhaps ticket prices for early June shows should reflect the incomplete products that are typically on the field at this time of year?

Then there won't be any June shows because the show sponsors couldn't afford to have them

<soapbox>

If I'm going to pay $25 to sit inside the 40 yard lines, then I think DCI needs to put a little pressure on corps to make sure the guards are in uniform and have their show flags on opening weekend. You've had all winter to prepare and there is no excuse.

Last night in Coon Rapids, Phantom Ragiment and several other corps had their guard wearing rehearsal blacks. Phantom even used practice flags. I could have gone and wathched them do a runtrough yesterday afternoon for free and gotten pretty much the same visual.

DCI, please put a little pressure on your corps to present a more compelete program for the fans in the early season!

</soapbox>

After watching the webcast of Cavaliers last night (where, I believe, an entire number was missing)...I wouldn't mind DCI putting pressure on corps by instituting a minimum time limit on shows. If the maximum these days is 11.5 minutes (I am assuming it still is), then perhaps the minimum could be 10:00, and you are docked a tenth of a point for every 5 seconds under that time limit.

As for penalties for using practice equipment, I am not sure if THAT would ever be feasible...after all, a corps could always claim that they really ARE going to use the all-black guard for the season, etc. But time-limit wise, I think it would be wise to have a policy like that. If you get penalized for going overtime, you should also be penalized for under-time.

Still...going to a show is much more about the atmosphere and seeing different corps than it is about whether someone has guard unis at the first show of the season. I don't mind seeing them in practice gear...what I *would* mind is seeing an incomplete show.

Considering that it takes about 8 weeks to for a company to normally manufacture a group of uniforms and most guards were still looking for people to fill holes 3-4 weeks ago, it is possible to not see the uniforms on guards for another few weeks.

As a guard instructor, I would not debut the uniforms until EVERYONE had one.

Last night was the first show of the season... Some groups hold back until everything is complete, and then there's a HUGE jump in the visual scores. You have every right to complain, but just so you know, many of these things are out of the corps control.

You have a valid point and it is discussed at DCI meetings and has been for years. " People are paying full ticket prices they deserve full shows "

I do not have as big an issue with practice flags as i do uniforms/costumes. Many that used practice flags have the show flags just dont use them this early . I think if the practice flags match the mood of the piece that is ok .

However try to understand that the guard is the last piece of the puzzle in putting the show on the field.

1-many march indoor and arent at camps til april .

2-getting costumes can be delayed waiting sizing.

3-Getting them and fitting them takes longer once on the road.

4-Most corps have more help on the road for sewing and the like later not early .

But I know everyone would love to have them ready to go it sometimes is just not possible.

Gee, no one came up with these flaming reponses yet....

"That's the price you pay for the best drum corps in the world. <Followed by anti-DCA rant>".

"Well then you should go to Finals to see the finished product" (aka - you're stupid enough to want to go to early season shows).

Have seen the same thing for a few years at a preview show and lot of people around complained about the ticket price. Problem is the ticket prices were driven by the cost of what the corps charged. Can't blame the show sponsors on that.

After watching the webcast of Cavaliers last night (where, I believe, an entire number was missing)...I wouldn't mind DCI putting pressure on corps by instituting a minimum time limit on shows. If the maximum these days is 11.5 minutes (I am assuming it still is), then perhaps the minimum could be 10:00, and you are docked a tenth of a point for every 5 seconds under that time limit.

As for penalties for using practice equipment, I am not sure if THAT would ever be feasible...after all, a corps could always claim that they really ARE going to use the all-black guard for the season, etc. But time-limit wise, I think it would be wise to have a policy like that. If you get penalized for going overtime, you should also be penalized for under-time.

Still...going to a show is much more about the atmosphere and seeing different corps than it is about whether someone has guard unis at the first show of the season. I don't mind seeing them in practice gear...what I *would* mind is seeing an incomplete show.

I thought there was a minimum time limit. However timing penalties don't start going into effect until early to mid July

Wahh!!

Guess what? It's not ABOUT YOU - it's a YOUTH ACTIVITY!!

And it's JUNE!!

Ugh.

I'm disappointed with this logic, George. I pray you were being sarcastic.

While I myself don't mind going to a show and seeing practice unis and flags (my particular pet peeve is incomplete shows, I could care less about incomplete unis), people pay good money to go to these shows, and at the very least they have the right to complain, even if you and i don't agree with them.

And you are dead wrong: This activity DOES NOT EXIST without the fans. Period. It is no longer (if indeed it ever was) just a YOUTH ACTIVITY. You can't just hide behind that mantra. There are plenty of things you can counter with...save the logical fallacies for other topics.

That rule exists, but is not enforced. It's the one rule that should be. For each 6 seconds or part thereof under the minimum, they lose 0.1pts. I think it's important that this rule start getting enforced. There's not much you can do on costumes and flags, really, but there's no reason to not put on 10 minutes of music and drill.