$25 to watch runthroughs?

There's not much you can do on costumes and flags, really, but there's no reason to not put on 10 minutes of music and drill.

I can agree with you on this point.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not much you can do on costumes and flags, really, but there's no reason to not put on 10 minutes of music and drill.

Sure there is. Limited amount of rehearsal time to learn difficult drill. You can only move in so early and a lot of drill that doesn't look hard can still be dangerous if it isn't rehearsed to a certain level.

I don't like seeing incomplete shows either but I understand why corps do it and I really think the only way you are going to eliminate it is to water down the drill.

Sure there is. Limited amount of rehearsal time to learn difficult drill. You can only move in so early and a lot of drill that doesn't look hard can still be dangerous if it isn't rehearsed to a certain level.

I don't like seeing incomplete shows either but I understand why corps do it and I really think the only way you are going to eliminate it is to water down the drill.

So that's fine. Penalize them. When they get their collective poop together, you won't have to take points away.

Wahh!!

Guess what? It's not ABOUT YOU - it's a YOUTH ACTIVITY!!

And it's JUNE!!

Ugh.

No, it's "Marching Music's Major League". DCI is selling a professional image, at professional prices, and the corps need to deliver a professional product.

If we're going to go with the "it's a youth activity" thing, then drop the ticket prices to $5 a pop and there won't be any complaints. So far this year I've dropped well over $100 on tickets to THREE shows, not including transportation and parking.

Some of the west coast corps didn't have finished shows, but they performed the snot out of what they had. No complaints out here for the most part.

No, it's "Marching Music's Major League". DCI is selling a professional image, at professional prices, and the corps need to deliver a professional product.

If we're going to go with the "it's a youth activity" thing, then drop the ticket prices to $5 a pop and there won't be any complaints. So far this year I've dropped well over $100 on tickets to THREE shows, not including transportation and parking.

Some of the west coast corps didn't have finished shows, but they performed the snot out of what they had. No complaints out here for the most part.

Yeah, drop the tickets down to $5 a pop and there won't be any complaining because there won't be a DCI anymore.

<soapbox>

If I'm going to pay $25 to sit inside the 40 yard lines, then I think DCI needs to put a little pressure on corps to make sure the guards are in uniform and have their show flags on opening weekend. You've had all winter to prepare and there is no excuse.

Last night in Coon Rapids, Phantom Ragiment and several other corps had their guard wearing rehearsal blacks. Phantom even used practice flags. I could have gone and wathched them do a runtrough yesterday afternoon for free and gotten pretty much the same visual.

DCI, please put a little pressure on your corps to present a more compelete program for the fans in the early season!

</soapbox>

Lot's of drum corps' guards don't actually start work till after winter guard season is over in April. In many cases, they don't get their costume designs in to the manufacturers till that point as well.

This happens with marching bands, too. Not just drum corps. The first couple of weeks their shows will be incomplete. Sometimes even drill won't be quite finished. It's the nature of the beast. Early season shows are ALWAYS like that.

Your soap box is unwarranted. If you don't like it, wait till after July 4th to attend a show.

This happens with marching bands, too. Not just drum corps. The first couple of weeks their shows will be incomplete. Sometimes even drill won't be quite finished. It's the nature of the beast. Early season shows are ALWAYS like that.

Indeed. When I was in high school, we never had the full show on the field by our first performance.

Lot's of drum corps' guards don't actually start work till after winter guard season is over in April. In many cases, they don't get their costume designs in to the manufacturers till that point as well.

Your soap box is unwarranted. If you don't like it, wait till after July 4th to attend a show.

With the guards starting later, there is some justification for having the costumes unfinished, as you can't make a customized outfit until you know the size of the person who will be wearing it. The flags, however, are another story. All it takes is planning to have them finished. Once you decide how many spots there are for guard in the show, you can get them underway.

I think we started cutting fabric as early as February back when I was doing this stuff. Once you get a few prototypes finished, volunteers can take the rest of the pieces home and work on them a bit at a time in the evenings. You do a final push during everydays and you're good to go.

Magic was notorious for not having stuff done, once even going over half a season with incomplete uniforms on the horns and drums. A little scheduling fixed that, however and the season I was involved we had everything finished, including props, by the season start. My goal was to not have the kids feel embarrased when they went out and performed with dirty practice flags. It's a lot of hours and no picnic, but it can be done.

When I marched, it wasn't all that uncommon that some corps would not have their drills completed at the beginning of the season.

It has been a good decade since I saw any corps at the beginning of the season, but there was nothing unusual about temporary or changing guard equipment at all, ever.