Poll: Under 10 minute penalty

Ten Minute Minimum  

196 members have voted

1. 1. Should DCI enforce the rule by which a corps must go 10 minutes at every show?

• Yes; starting opening day, enforce the rule
    • No; give the corps time to get things figured out
  2. 2. About penalties... do corps completely recover by score?

• It has no long term effect
    • It has a stigma or lasting effect for the season
  3. 3. I would rather see:

• A complete but less clean show
    • An incomplete but cleaner show

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather see the full show even if its not as clean...because chances are in most years I won't get to see them later in the season when it is clean, and i want to see how much potential their full design has.

If a corps has just learned it's closer drill a day or two before a show but they are falling all over each other on the field, it is stupid for them to go ahead and try to hash it out in a performance. Practicing (or performing) something the wrong way only reinforces doing it the wrong way and is counter productive. It also makes you look MORE like a fool on the field than if you decide to stand still through the end of the show. You will also get a bunch of negative reviews on DCP from people saying, "but man their closer drill was SO dirty and they had people running into each other" then people will say "then why didn't they just stand still at the end and then put in the closer drill at the next show". But that just makes too much sense.

It's friggin July 17th, people. I'd like to see YOU go out there and try to play some the music and march the drill that these kids in DCI are doing then see how easy it is to have it all on the field ready to go in mid June.

If a corps has just learned it's closer drill a day or two before a show but they are falling all over each other on the field, it is stupid for them to go ahead and try to hash it out in a performance. Practicing (or performing) something the wrong way only reinforces doing it the wrong way and is counter productive. It also makes you look MORE like a fool on the field than if you decide to stand still through the end of the show. You will also get a bunch of negative reviews on DCP from people saying, "but man their closer drill was SO dirty and they had people running into each other" then people will say "then why didn't they just stand still at the end and then put in the closer drill at the next show". But that just makes too much sense.

It's friggin July 17th, people. I'd like to see YOU go out there and try to play some the music and march the drill that these kids in DCI are doing then see how easy it is to have it all on the field ready to go in mid June.

If it were THAT bad, then you're right, they should wait and fix it first. I wasn't bashing what happened or complaining, simply answering the poll. I personally as a fan in the audience would rather see a full show, but as somebody affiliated with a corps would rather have what we know well on the field and everything else could stand still. I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but at least in Pleasant Hill the corps didn't even stand still through the rest of their show. They just stopped. I don't see any negative effects a penalized score would have on the corps, since they know precisely why they got it, and know that as soon as they finish their show it will be gone completely. I think the rule should be enforced, because like I've seen other people say on some other threads, if you're going to have a rule, you should use it.

Edited by DanjrusMcRynky

The big boys start their preseason in what, October, November? A complete 10 minute show CAN be learned in that amount of time. It was done for YEARS. Yes, I understand that the shows are more demanding and difficult, but that is the CORPS choice. Learn a full watered down show and make additions through the season. How many corps have their beginning of the year show the same at the end? NONE, they make changes. If you can't do it, then GET OFF THE FIELD, but don't bring me a partial show and charge a FULL price, and then get rewarded with high scores. Can we say SLOTTING is in effect? Now please tell me that Spirit with their full show, THEY LEARNED A WHOLE SHOW, should be scored as worse than a corps who couldn't even field a finished product? So then also, if a song or two stinks at the semi finals, do you just play the other two and stop there, then the judges can only judge you for what was done?

Do corps still have the option of performing a judged exhibition? If so, an early season performance could please the audience who want to see a full-length show while, at the same time, give the corps valuable feedback from the judges. That way, almost everybody wins!

What if early season scores really reflected whether a show met time requirements, with no corps getting a pass -- regardless of who they are? Wouldn't there be added incentive for everyone to be ready from Day One? Personally, I'm not as concerned about the drill during the first week; but I'd at least like to hear the music. Back in the day, most shows featured a concert number with the musicians standing still. Who complained then? Nobody. :laugh:

In my years of corps as an instructor (91-96), and I am pretty sure even now, the timing and penalty judge is a bit lenient the first few shows of the season.

I recall when I was on staff in 95 at Blue Knights the TnP judge politely told me in critique I might want to time our next run through.

Rules were the same then as now, 10:00 minimum, 11:30 Max.

Our first show that season ran 13:21

Alot of the show was not up to tempo and we had some cuts to make still.

As for being UNDER time, I don't think many corps lose sleep over it this time of year.

Most would rather be under and take a penalty than run the whole show with the last few minutes looking like crap.

You only get one chance to make that first impression and some judges never forget a nightmare early season run.

When I was marching we always had the show complete on time, and then the first shows were weeks earlier.

In 1986 our first judges/scored performance was June 1st.

I think that penalties need to be assessed for sure. I think DCI has to address this issue.

If a corps isn't finished with their show, they should at least stand still and play all their music during the parts of the show where the drill isn't finished. Coming off the field after 8:57 is just completely unacceptable.

The big boys start their preseason in what, October, November?

While that's true, in defense of the corps most people are pointing all this at, The Cavaliers don't set any show drill until alldays start, so...