DCP Out of Control?

as "founder" who has no official role anymore - I feel the need to poke my nose in for a second...

IMO the mod team has never done a better job than they are doing lately - never

I also believe as a site "ages" you tend to pick up baggage along the way - let's just call the "pot-stirrers" - very often dealing directly with 5-10 folks will eliminate 90% of the issues a site like this will see. It may be time to take a look at the ten biggest offenders and give them a vacation from DCP - say 3 months.

We also always experienced a heated couple weeks the first few weeks of the season... it typically dies down by July. A slightly "heavy-handed" approach is desirable that time of the year to help quell things and "set the stage" for the remainder of the season. A lot of new posters & trolls this time of the year.

So - anyway - I think they are doing a great job & I think they may want to get together and pick the ten worst "pot-stirrers" to send on vacation until September.

Anyway- carry on!!

Good job,

George

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I have seen similar boards where the mods not only allow personal attacks and name-calling; but will slant toward friends of theirs and make it impossible to carry on an intelligent conversation. One in particular is dying due to this type of moderation.

I like to see a certain amount of even-handed control here. It keeps muck-rakers and net-bullies from slashing down sometimes controversial topics (or just topics they do not like) and keeps things as civil as they can be. It does get crazy sometimes here, but at least you can (within the rules) voice an opinion without being knocked around while a mod takes sides.

And yes, I have had a post or two modified or removed. It was at times for my own good. :P

It's a conspiracy... because Jeff Ream IS Catherine. They can't hide it forever.

Well now I know what CB looks like.... :sshh: :rolleyes:

basically if the mods didnt do what they do, all the retards and heavily opinionated band geeks would run rampant and probably destroy the place for a while. why? because nerds are physically and mentally impotent, and rarely find themselves in a position as easy and accessible as this to look bigger and stronger. only way to hold the tide of idiocy back is to heavily moderate. granted ive been on lots of forums that werent moderated or moderated very little and have had no problems, i can think on one good drumming forum right now actually (but im not going to list it because im afraid it will get swamped with dumb from here), but this forum isnt one of them.

without the mods, this place probably wouldnt make any sense.

I see certain long time posters/donaters lambast people all the time and never get edited. Maybe I should hit the report button more. I'll leave it at that.

That's what the report button is for. There is no way the mods can read each and every post. They encourage you to use it to bring these situations to their attention.

i can think on one good drumming forum right now actually (but im not going to list it because im afraid it will get swamped with dumb from here), but this forum isnt one of them.

That one made me laugh.

I've seen no questionable actions by the mods so far...if anything the moderating should get A LITTLE tighter, otherwise things go out of control completely

Every thread I've seen get closed in the junior forum so far has deserved to be

• 4 weeks later...
basically if the mods didnt do what they do, all the retards and heavily opinionated band geeks would run rampant and probably destroy the place for a while. why? because nerds are physically and mentally impotent, and rarely find themselves in a position as easy and accessible as this to look bigger and stronger. only way to hold the tide of idiocy back is to heavily moderate. granted ive been on lots of forums that werent moderated or moderated very little and have had no problems, i can think on one good drumming forum right now actually (but im not going to list it because im afraid it will get swamped with dumb from here), but this forum isnt one of them.

without the mods, this place probably wouldnt make any sense.

I have actually seen a board absolutely destroy itself due to a lack of moderation...and it is a 'marchingperforming arts' board! The trolls (who happened to be close to the moderators via instructors) are allowed to insult and attack certain viewpoints without any restraint; and the mods will actually allow it to occur...as long as they stick to the popular viewpoint prevalant in the board. There are now only about 8-10 regular posters on this particular board...and it is only now serving primairily as a bulletin board for the moderator's perfomance groups.

Strong moderation is needed in a passionate crowd, lest it turn into absolute anarchy...or worse.

Well, a few days ago, I had my comments removed from a thread and was given some kind of warning. Why? Did I mention anybody by name? No. Did I name call? No. I simply pointed out that a thread should be closed as there was already a thread about the same thing (although this thread in question, the 3rd similar thread, was started by a moderator--a moderator well-known for closing closing/grouping similar threads). Immediately after my remark, the mod closed the second similar thread and kept the newest open (the one that they started). I wasn't trying to be offensive, I was just trying to follow that the model that that particular mod uses.

I guess I lost a lot of respect that day for both of them.

Elmo Blatch