Dear Ghost of Drum Corps past

Dear Ghost of Drum Corps Past,

I know I wished that drum corps was nothing but Pits, but I realize now that I was wrong. Drum corps needs a full spectrum of hornlines and battery equiptment! I was wrong! Please Spirit, tell me it isn't too late! Please tell the audio engineers to put the hornlines and batteries back in the recordings! Please Spirit! I'll never take the other sections for granted ever again!!!! I will always play my marimba within the ensemble, just please, bring them back! I beg you...!!!

Lol

Hahaha! True that, my friend. When I went to Benson on Saturday, I was suprsied to see how much pit action was going down. I mean, I'm a front ensemble guy myself so it's right up my alley; but I also love those big powerful hornlines, too.

That's awesome. I was just listening to the 2006 recordings last week, and commented to my wife how overpowering the pits were. I wants me some brass!

I don't know about how it is outside of California, but it seems that the corps I've seen using amplified pits this year were balanced much better than last.

I can tell you firsthand that it is considerably more difficult to record DCI shows today with pit amplification than it was before amplification. The optimal spots for mic placement (to keep the brass on axis) are in the direct path of most Div.1 pit speakers. Last year in my APD recordings, the Div.2 corps brass sounded louder than Div.1, because of the affect of Div.1 pit amplification on balance and subsequent mastering. There is no easy solution to this. Well, there is, but...

Well, since Finals will be in a dome forever more, there's no excuse to not hang microphones from the roof to down behind the pit to pick up brass more.

I think SCV is doing a fairly good job, but still a little strong. BD is way too loud. However, I believe the original poster was refering to the APD's. On the APD's, the hornlines are very, very quiet. They also lack bass. I get no bass at all from the APD's. It sounds the same with no bass as it does with. And then the concert bass hits and peaks out my speakers. Not very well mixed.

Hmm, maybe 70's and 00's recordings aren't all that different after all... :sumo::sumo: ^0^