HTH are Cadets winning?

Just what are the judges qualifications for Voice, Narration, etc ? Are these judges former or current singers ? Since Narration is a central component of a Corps show ( the " performer " afterall is not in the background, but is prominemtly displayed in front of the other " performers" ), do judges have a background in electronics in their professional training ? What constitutes " good narration " from " bad narration " anyway ? Is it the quality of the sound, or is it more the message integration with the musical and visuals components of the show ? What takes preference over the other ? And do judges have fundamental agreement among themselves on what constitutes " good narration " from " bad narration " ? These are fair questions to ask it seems to me, now that narration has become a central method of communicationg to an audience which once was accomplished exclusively by the integration of creative musicianship, interpretitive dance, and visual display.

Excellent points.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well...the cadets arent winning anymore (not that they ever were really). You can all go back to your real lives.

You have a very valid point that human voice isn't an automatic "explanation". It just seems that people particularly are bothered by it because, IMO, fans have had to do the interpreting through music. Thus, when you have shows such as BD's Yowza show, Seattle's air show, and Cadets last year and this... especially this year with the warmup starting with a complete explanation about how they're gonna do X, Y, and Z in the show, fans of all those prior years say, "I'm #### well smart enough to figure out what you're doing, provided the show itself provides direction." Think back to Cadets 92 -- the reason you remember it usually isn't the Holsinger, but that you attached your mind's pleasure of the music with the visual accompaniment of spinning ceiling fans and guard members in pseudo-flight suits.

Look at it this way... Mimes that talk are just goofy French clowns.

And that's exactly why I think a corps should turn The Aristocrats into a field show! :P

All joking aside, yeah. I, too, am ###### off when I feel like I'm being preached at or "guided" through a show. I don't need that, I have a brain, thank you. But on the other hand, I can see plenty of situations where voice can be used simply as another design element of the show (ala the drum speak of Cadets 05). I said in some post around here that I really liked the narration the Cadets used in their third movement, when they were mimicking the staff. I liked the use of narration with the scatterdrill set (and I normally hate scatterdrill sets). I didn't like the parts that felt like "oh we're all part of one big happy family" feel-good cheesiness. Of course, this is based off of one online video from a show and I'm sure by the time I see it at the Atlanta regional it will have changed quite a bit.

And that's exactly why I think a corps should turn The Aristocrats into a field show! :P

All joking aside, yeah. I, too, am ###### off when I feel like I'm being preached at or "guided" through a show. I don't need that, I have a brain, thank you. But on the other hand, I can see plenty of situations where voice can be used simply as another design element of the show (ala the drum speak of Cadets 05). I said in some post around here that I really liked the narration the Cadets used in their third movement, when they were mimicking the staff. I liked the use of narration with the scatterdrill set (and I normally hate scatterdrill sets). I didn't like the parts that felt like "oh we're all part of one big happy family" feel-good cheesiness. Of course, this is based off of one online video from a show and I'm sure by the time I see it at the Atlanta regional it will have changed quite a bit.

"I don't like being preached at or "guided" through a show."

"I really liked the narration the Cadets used in their third movement...."

I love your statements, I really do.

I don't think George Hopkins is trying to imply that the audience doesn't have a brain. I think he's just trying to do something different.

"I don't like being preached at or "guided" through a show."

"I really liked the narration the Cadets used in their third movement...."

I love your statements, I really do.

I don't think George Hopkins is trying to imply that the audience doesn't have a brain. I think he's just trying to do something different.

What, do you think I said something conflicting? Because I didn't.

I reserve the right to like and dislike aspects of the show for my own personal reasons. I'm not bashing GH, I've never participated in such a worthless waste-of-time. I'm not bashing The Cadets, because I like the organization and the shows they've put out and the level of quality where they consistently perform.

Gee whiz, I know that Cadets/GH-bashing is popular these days, but drop your shields there captain.

What, do you think I said something conflicting? Because I didn't.

I reserve the right to like and dislike aspects of the show for my own personal reasons. I'm not bashing GH, I've never participated in such a worthless waste-of-time. I'm not bashing The Cadets, because I like the organization and the shows they've put out and the level of quality where they consistently perform.

Gee whiz, I know that Cadets/GH-bashing is popular these days, but drop your shields there captain.

I'm just saying that you make it seem as if GH is treating the audience like they can't think for themselves. I'm just looking at it as he is doing something other than the norm. And I will NEVER drop my sheilds, ensign.

I'm just saying that you make it seem as if GH is treating the audience like they can't think for themselves. I'm just looking at it as he is doing something other than the norm. And I will NEVER drop my sheilds, ensign.

ENSIGN?????

Come on, I'd at least be a Lieutenant....or....something!

Anyway, I wasn't implying that. There are parts of the narration I don't like because it just seems very much "big happy family" cheesiness to me. I actually didn't feel like any part of the show was trying to forcibly guide me through a storyline narrative, and I thought the show was overall pretty ######. I didn't like the narration in the closer, however. I like the 3rd movement narration the best because it was witty. Oh well, to each their own.

ENSIGN?????

Come on, I'd at least be a Lieutenant....or....something!

Anyway, I wasn't implying that. There are parts of the narration I don't like because it just seems very much "big happy family" cheesiness to me. I actually didn't feel like any part of the show was trying to forcibly guide me through a storyline narrative, and I thought the show was overall pretty ######. I didn't like the narration in the closer, however. I like the 3rd movement narration the best because it was witty. Oh well, to each their own.

Well I hope you enjoy more of the show. I hope I enjoy it when I see it on Saturday (I'm sure I will though)....

....anywho, you can be a Commander...... :)

You have a very valid point that human voice isn't an automatic "explanation". It just seems that people particularly are bothered by it because, IMO, fans have had to do the interpreting through music. Thus, when you have shows such as BD's Yowza show, Seattle's air show, and Cadets last year and this... especially this year with the warmup starting with a complete explanation about how they're gonna do X, Y, and Z in the show, fans of all those prior years say, "I'm #### well smart enough to figure out what you're doing, provided the show itself provides direction." Think back to Cadets 92 -- the reason you remember it usually isn't the Holsinger, but that you attached your mind's pleasure of the music with the visual accompaniment of spinning ceiling fans and guard members in pseudo-flight suits.

This is absolutely the best post I've read on this topic. Bravo. I, for one, agree 100%.

side note...unless it was a one-night thing...no 'warmup speech' at the Benson show.