Walnut Show Non-Review

The timing thing is wierd I'll agree. It just feels odd now and being in the guard our cues for getting set etc are all off now. Usually we assume our opening poses when they ask if the DM is ready and now that its gone its just a wierd sort of looking around and getting set when the DM salutes but there's not a normal annoucement thing. I don't know. . . its just wierd. I didn't even realize that it was a new "official" change though until this thread. I thought the annoucers at the 2 shows I've been in so far just messed up or something.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this may cost me to say this, but it's truly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Someone came up to me at a break and said, "Hey, what's with all of your mistakes tonight." You see, when you have a reputation of talking about a corps show BEFORE they perform, it educates the audience a bit. I was forbidden from doing so. Apparently this all ties in with the 5-min warm up rule. I won't spill the beans who said this to me, but needless to say, someone "important", who referred to this script set up very sardonically as the "Hopkins Rule". I don't know if he asked for it at the Rules Congress or whatever, but truly, it's dumb. If DCI were to have maybe asked the professional announcers out there how to do this to make it a TAD more professional sounding, I would have suggested they can keep the 3-min rule of saying "And now entering the field..." 3 mins prior to the scheduled step off time. But instead of asking the DM if the corps is ready at the one minute mark and then WAITING AN ADDITIONAL MINUTE for the "DCI is proud to present..." (where I was "making my mistake"...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...IT WAS THE SCRIPT!!), you wait until 30 seconds, ask the DM if they're ready, and then IMMEDIATELY say "DCI is proud to present...". Sigh. That way, the audience isn't sitting there in abject silence uncomfortably waiting for the corps to start after the DM has saluted and acknowledged the announcement. It's very awkward feeling in terms of timing.

I am all for not saying "Are the judges ready?" because really, they've never been NOT ready. So that's cool. But the timing of the whole asking the DM if the corps is ready and starting the show is very awkward. Uncomfortable. Once the DM salutes, then that's it. That's when the announcement "Drum Corps International is proud to present, from__________, the ________________".

Heh..... so this is what I can look forward to this Friday night in Maryland? LOL

Fran

The timing thing is wierd I'll agree. It just feels odd now and being in the guard our cues for getting set etc are all off now. Usually we assume our opening poses when they ask if the DM is ready and now that its gone its just a wierd sort of looking around and getting set when the DM salutes but there's not a normal annoucement thing. I don't know. . . its just wierd. I didn't even realize that it was a new "official" change though until this thread. I thought the annoucers at the 2 shows I've been in so far just messed up or something.

When you guys get to DCA's in Rochester, we're still doing the announcements the "old" way. :P

Fran

The timing thing left us holding our horns up for an extra 30 seconds at Riverside. Then again, it also gave us a chance to chat with one of the judges too. That was a first.

I will add some comments from the track point-of-view.

The groovin contra line in Academy's 2nd number is very catchy. I have had that running through my head at work, so far, this week. over and over again.

Ryan is right about Dream. I was impressed mostly by their warm-ups, which I could hear those screaming sops from the performance field. Good full sound.

F tuning is out this year, for the Blue Devils. Love the pit-lead-in though, and the first half of the show is smokin. I am still trying to find Bird and Bela in BD's show. Anyone hear it?

SCV was the most side-to-side marching corps of the night. I am having a hard time of catching on to the music. Just doesn't stick in my heads, except for the 3rd number, with the solo lead-in to their ballad. The ballad probably the best piece of their show.

PC's show is solid, but the vocals make it a little gimmicky. It's added cheese.

Mandarins uniforms have grown on me. I think they made a minor modification to the uniform. Drum line seems soild, but the brass doesn't seem as strong as in recent years. Ateast, not yet.

Gold, I noticed they only have 7 xylophones this year. they had like 10-12 last year. Something like that. The battery is their strongest area in the corps.

VK is all about the horns right now. Nice horn sound.

Impulse, once again, another corps with a strong drumline.

In addition, I'm sick of hearing "Drum Corp International is proud to present ..." before every corps. Someone in DCI must have read something about brand reinforcement and now they are determined to shove the DCI name up our butts whenever possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they say prior to ever BOA band's performance?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what they say prior to ever BOA band's performance?

This is sort of a loaded question that I think I don't want to touch!! :huh:

Seriously...BOA may say something about "BOA proudly presents..." but not "DCI proudly presents..."

This is sort of a loaded question that I think I don't want to touch!! :huh:

Seriously...BOA may say something about "BOA proudly presents..." but not "DCI proudly presents..."

So we should all be writing Dan Acheson about this, right? 'Cause I REALLY don;t want to have iot listen to you and Brandt with this idiocy come August!