Lexington Scores

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that no one has mentioned the fact that every corps suffered a drop in scores in Lexington (over a point). Meanwhile, in NY, scores are up an average of 1.5 pts. Hmmmmm. I wonder when the corps start complaining of inconsistent judging in DCI?

Hah. That judging is nothing new. We scored a 69 for a good couple of weeks straight last year. We would have good shows, bad shows and meh shows, and always a 69.something. We just didn't care about scores enough to really give it much more than a passing thought.

Just back from the Lexington show...........

Southwind............. is improving. They still have a long way to go, but are showing progress. Their drumline is very good.

Spirit............ seems like they are a little weak this year. I honesly do not see them making finals. Probably will finish around 14th. Their hornline is having trouble getting a full ensemble sound.

Boston........... had a solid sound. They are in good shape and just need to continue to clean. I see them around 8th place.

Phantom........... does not have the show design to be near the top. I am usually a huge fan of their ballads. But, this year it seems flat. They have a flugel horn duet that goes forever. I wanted to hear their full line play, and kept hearing two people. I really liked the end of their show, but overall it wasn't a standout show for me.

Cadets.............Here is the deal with Cadets.......Everyone is talking about the narration. I know, we don't want it. But, the corps is playing very well and marching some very hard drill. They are good folks. I do miss them not having a balld. They usually have great ones. I predict this show will be near the top if not at the top. Bottom line. If you like the narration, great. If not, just listen to the music and watch the drill. It's intense. (this is coming from someone who is not a cadet fan)

My predictions for now........

1st/2nd........ Cadets/Cavaliers

3rd..............Phantom

4th..............BD

5th..............Bluecoats

6th..............SCV

Did you forget something? Crown was pretty #### good this evening. Improved drumline, tasty, tasty hornline, good GE generating show. The Willam Tell section might be dragging them down a tad, but I think they might via for one of those 4 through 6 positions. At least we are more likely looking at a solid top-7.

Pretty much with you for the most part otherwise. Cadets are the real deal. IMHO this is the best I have seen them this early since 2000. When they work their normal Holy Name action on this I think they might have a winner. I've seen everybody but the west coasters. Cavies were great, but look beatable at this point. Phantom was solid, but 'needs a bigger boat'. Crown and Blue have taken solid steps forward, but.......

Will see the left coasters in the coming two weeks.

We could just ask DCI to see the finals recaps so we would know the scores and the corps that will be attached to them.

Glad to see there is a corp that is both marching and playing during difficult sections.

Strange that no one has mentioned the fact that every corps suffered a drop in scores in Lexington (over a point). Meanwhile, in NY, scores are up an average of 1.5 pts. Hmmmmm. I wonder when the corps start complaining of inconsistent judging in DCI?

I hear all the time, how judges first priority is to place then rate. Both of which I find to be Horse HOckey! They have a sheet with criteria for each subcaption with clear instructions as to what level constitutes what number. I think it's about time the judges actually do their job proper ... rather than worrying about how to slot the corps properly for each caption.

At least then, I wouldn't get upset when scores fluctuate. I'm sure we would be able to point to 1 or 2 judges on the recap and say AHA!!!! They judge tighter than the others ... or they give out big numbers.

Dan,

A judge's first two responsibilities ARE to rank and rate the corps...that hasn't changed in over half a century. It's not horse hockey to expect them to place the corps in order and put whatever spread they think is correct between them.

Yes, the sheets have criteria on the back...they are especially useful in coming up with the first number....and then using the boxes to create spreads. A few tenths either way in a caption across a bunch of judges will cause a decline or rise in scores even of the performances are relatively equal across shows. The last thing we want is for judges to slavishly examine recaps to make sure they do not go the 'wrong' way in their numbers. I'll take a little variation over that sort of thing.

I hear all the time, how judges first priority is to place then rate. Both of which I find to be Horse HOckey! They have a sheet with criteria for each subcaption with clear instructions as to what level constitutes what number. I think it's about time the judges actually do their job proper ... rather than worrying about how to slot the corps properly for each caption.

At least then, I wouldn't get upset when scores fluctuate. I'm sure we would be able to point to 1 or 2 judges on the recap and say AHA!!!! They judge tighter than the others ... or they give out big numbers.

So, how is it we can call two different judging panels in two different states judging two different sets of corps inconsistent because scores drop at one of the shows, yet corps more than likely got ranked where they should? In the end it is the order/ranking that is the most important.

I am not following your "logic".

It's all about spreads. The score isn't important it is the spread between corps that matters. The poster who compared the spreads between corps to come up with a ranking is close, but you need to use every spread a corps has against every corps and come up with an average score. this will give you a somewhat accurate picture of the current standings. As seen below, although until the West corps see someone other than west corps their scores really do not line up with everyone else's. this will all change come thursday and friday nights.

26-Jun-07

............................... Last.......... Calc

Cavaliers.................. 79.95........81.00

Blue Devils................79.75........79.75

Cadets......................80.00........79.61

Phantom....................78.75........79.41

Bluecoats...................78.20........78.66

Santa Clara................77.70........77.70

Crown.......................76.05.........76.26

Blue Knights...............74.60........74.12

Boston.......................72.55........72.55

Academy...................71.05........71.05

Glassmen..................74.05........70.83

Colts.........................72.00........70.08

Crossmen..................69.05........69.13

Blue Stars..................69.00........67.98

Spirit.........................67.45........67.46

Mandarins..................66.40........66.83

Madison.....................65.05........66.37

Pacific Crest...............64.80........64.80

Southwind..................63.90........63.75

Troopers....................61.45........63.21

Pioneer......................57.15........57.63

Cascades...................No Scores

Edited by bluecoats88

Recaps are up....

Things are all over the board!

CC winning guard - Cadets 3rd

PR winning percussion - CC 4th

In the visual caption, I am not accutely aware of the differences between the subcaptions. If someone scored well in visual performance and color guard, what are characteristics which would justify a sub par score in visual ensemble? Just asking to educate myself...no conspiracy theories please!!!!

In the visual caption, I am not accutely aware of the differences between the subcaptions. If someone scored well in visual performance and color guard, what are characteristics which would justify a sub par score in visual ensemble? Just asking to educate myself...no conspiracy theories please!!!!

Good technique on the field coupled with dirty forms from the stands.