A Traditionalist on Narration

Narration is just plain annoying. Doesn't matter who is doing it. Funny that the die-hard Cadets fans are the first to defend it though.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most" according to who, BTW?
Yes, some on DCP engaged in much wringing of hands and woe-is-me about that show, but as compared to the totality of the drum corps audience it was not even a drop in the bucket.

"not even a drop in the bucket" according to who, BTW?

Narration is just plain annoying. Doesn't matter who is doing it. Funny that the die-hard Cadets fans are the first to defend it though.

I think one of the main reasons for that is because whenever an anti-narration thread comes up, it generally turns into an anti-Cadets topic.

I think one of the main reasons for that is because whenever an anti-narration thread comes up, it generally turns into an anti-Cadets topic.

People too often associate the two. I've read many more posts that said something like, "The narration sucks, but The Cadets hornline and percussion are great this year," compared to posts like "Narration sucks and so do The Cadets."

If you think the narration sucks and you say The Cadets do too, then you deserved to be yelled at by someone. You can't deny the talent-level of that corps this year.

crown '04 was popular, but still got a lot of people angry, especially on here.

But isnt that the point of what the original poster is trying to make? Appealing to all audiences, not just dcp posters or die hard traditionalists? The show made some people angry but im pretty sure there are a lot of fans of that show.

I like how everyone is either old school or not old school. I just got into drum corps in 2005, but I agree with a lot of the "old school" people.

Just clarifying that you don't actually have to be "old school" to hold something similar to that perspective.

Point well taken!

As a really "old fart" (I first started marching in drum corp in 1956--with a no valve G-bugle; by my moniker you can see I pre-date mellophones), the use of human vocalization during a show should be used to enhance the musical presentation by the corps.

The never-ending stream of "love / hate" narration suggests that not everyone who attends drum corps contests--that small, niche market--finds the type of human vocalization described as "narration" as enhancing the musical presentation of the corps. The judges seem to love it--but don't even get me started down that line of thought.

Vocalization as another "musical voice" (and I am not talking about the attempt to "sing words" that some corps have attempted with very little success--IMO) can enhance the overall musical effect of a show. As several on this thread have pointed out, such vocalization can add to the overall enjoyment of the show--not create the sound of finger-nails on a chalk board which is how many "narration haters" describe the use of narration with shows.

Keep vocalizations as a "musical voice"--not an attempt to tell you what someone thinks you need to know.

Cardinal_frnch_hrn

Yep, more than 50 years in drum corps

This is NOT about the Cadets. This isn't Hating. This isn't being against Evolving (whatever that is). This isn't a criticism of The Kids, or the staff, or the directors, or the moms.

This is why narration bothers me - I find myself turning the volume down when listening to CDs when a narration part comes up, particularly when someone is with me, because I find it EMBARRASSING. It just doesn't pass the giggle test. Trying to sound so serious, then coming off so silly (yowza). I'd rather hear music played so well that it makes me tear up. And I have loved the Cadets since the first time I saw them in 1978 when they weren't making Finals and people had "Where's Garfiled ?" signs in the stands on Finals night. I remember overhearing people talking in admiration that no corps works harder than the Cadets.

Except on those signs, they spelled "Garfield" correctly.

I find myself turning the volume down when listening to CDs when a narration part comes up, particularly when someone is with me, because I find it EMBARRASSING. It just doesn't pass the giggle test. Trying to sound so serious, then coming off so silly (yowza).

You're absolutely right. For me, it's usually eye-rolling, though.