For those DCI shows that have DCA corps present

Try going to Japan and not taking off your shoes when you enter a building or entering a Buddhist, Jewish, or Muslim temple without taking off your shoes. You take your hat off the same way you would tip it to a woman. It may seem silly, but it's a sign of respect.

I just think it's amazing that we even have to have this conversation:

Oh my God, what if a corps has an American Flag! What do we do?

Has it been that long? Is drum corps really that far removed from its origins?

So what's next, you're going to tell me that the score from the Inspection isn't averaged into your final score at the American Legion Nationals?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on a related topic of pet peeves and national anthem, etc, it's also my understanding that the "National Anthem" is an arrangement of the words to the Star Spangled Banner, sung to a particular set of notes and that when singers take "creative liberties" adding all kinds of slurs, glassandos, note changes, and other various "stylistic choices," they ar eno longer singing the "National Anthem" but instead are singing their rendition of the Star Spangled Banner. IF that is true, (and I don't know if it is or not) do the same rules still apply to the SSB as they do for the NA?

:huh::huh::lol::lol::laugh::huh:

Thank Whitney Houston for her rendition at the Super Bowl many years ago that makes all pop and wanna be popstars think they can do this.

The Star Spangled Banner - National Anthem IS NOT a jazz song open to individual interpretation. The melody and words are written a specific way and should be performed that way, PERIOD.

As for the original intent of this thread, thanks for posting it Lisa. I know she wasnt starting this to make an argument thread. This is something that has gotten lost over time. The flag represents a living, breathing country. Born here, immigrated to here, it represents the country and freedoms we all enjoy daily. You may not agree with current administration policies or individuals, but at least respect our country and the one official representation of our country.

Also, we did not have a weapon to guard our colors at the Sunnyvale show. Our director talked to a group of Marines that were at the show and one of them agreed to march out with sabre to guard the colors. Many thanks to him. It added a little extra to the corner of the field.

The whole "no hats" thing is really a rather silly little social construct, if you ask me. Most flag protocol is, as well.

Maybe if no one died fighting under that flag so you could have the freedom to do what you want to do and say what you want to say it would be a silly constuct.

Seeing that many did, your attitude is ill-informed, to say the least. Damnable, to say the most. <**>

Finally, what constitues a "uniform?" that requires a salute? Military? Drum Corps? Marching Band? Boy scout? Your burger king uniforms that you are wearing becuase you came straight to the show from work? Who decides which "uniform" counts and which doesn't?

Military uniforms. Public service uniforms (ie Police, Fire Department.)

I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution. The hornline did not.

I am a deputized representative of our Nation. The drumline is not.

Edited by Henson

:feednotroll: :feednotroll: :feednotroll: :feednotroll:

Not a troll, kiddo. Just a patriot. And one who is sick of seeing this country bashed by the disrespectful and uninformed. And one who WILL respect the symbol that many men and women died under in order for all of us to be able to carry on our lives here without losing ours.

And God help all of us if we lose that freedom paid for in blood. For DC will be the very least of things we will lose.

Military uniforms. Public service uniforms (ie Police, Fire Department.)

I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution. The hornline did not.

I am a deputized representative of our Nation. The drumline is not.

thanks for that clarification...after reading my post again with your reply, I realized it may have come off as sarcastic, but I honestly didn't know if band or corps uniforms "count" or not.

There's been some discusison in various threads about DCA corps at DCI shows and some fans' lack of experience with what US Flag Ettiquette is. This is not a thread to bash DCI corps for not having an American Flag party. Start another thread to do that. It was just simply suggested that perhaps some people dont' know the ettiquette, so I thought I'd post it here.

Lisa,

Thanks for posting that. I saw the Kilties for the first time this past weekend, and I noticed the very literal color guard in the corner of the field by the end zone (Though admittedly, I first noticed them because of the claymore one of the members was wielding). I had no idea that this was common practice, nor why there were there, so your post was not only very informative, but timely as well.

Now, can everyone else stay on-topic?

Aliens should stand at attention.

\\\\\

Rock on.

Does this mean that the illegal aliens need to stand at attention after they have jumped over the border fence, if there is an american flag at that border station?

Since I've already been quoted, I'll just say here that of course you don't have to take your shoes off at a Jewish temple. That's my bad. But you do at a Muslim, Islamic, or Buddhist temple.