Best drumline in 2007?

Why are those your picks? 2 reviews/opinions have been posted by non-percussionists. You being a percussionist, I had just hoped that you would care to elaborate and let us know why you see things that way. Give us the goods! :)

Haha. Ok, here it goes... It's nothing exciting. Sorry if I disappoint!

1) Cavaliers- Their sound is a main reason. I absolutely love their tuning! Their book is awesome this year, IMO. Casella's writing is sweet. I enjoyed last year's a lot too. Although, I feel that this year's drumline is cleaner. Their bass line is pretty neat. Runs are cool. I love the sound of their tenors. I can't wait until I can hear them live. :) And yes, small bias does go into this pick.

2) Cadets- Great sound. I enjoy their drumlines a lot... even last year's. Their snareline is smokin' already, and it's only a couple weeks into the season. Sometimes their stuff gets repetitive, but hey, they play it really well. The pre-tour videos I saw made my jaw drop. Another drumline I can't wait to hear live.

3) Bluecoats- Pretty clean. Like the snareline the most. Besides that.... I'm really only relying on scores. Haha.

4) Blue Devils- They may not have the best line out there, but I've always enjoyed their playing. I really don't like the drums they play on though. Dynasty? Uh, no thank you.

5) Carolina Crown- Much, much improved over last season. I actually did like their drumline, really only for entertainment purposes. This season they entertain me and they play well.

Once I get to hear Phantom Regiment and Santa Clara Vanguard, I'm sure BD and Carolina will fall from my top 5. I've only been able to hear these corps a very limited number of times, so I'm sure things will change a lot by the end of the season. I've heard The Cavaliers music the most, so that's probably another reason why I have them on top. The Cadets, I've heard clips of warm-ups and stuff here and there, and I can't deny the awesomeness of their drumline.

Very much love to the pit- Cavies, Cadets, Bluecoats...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BD is gonna take it. Period. cadets play too many notes, if they cut some stuff maybe they'll come up, phantom is only clean, and demand is not always apparent. Cavies, if they clean it they could be in a tight race. Bluecoats are in the same spot with PR in my mind.

Disclaimer: not a drummer here

From APDs or live shows, the drumlines that stick out in my mind are

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Vanguard

3. Bluecoats

Agreed. However, I can't comment on SCV live...only from APD. If they are anything like last year, I would just love it.

Elmo Blatch

so far this season i've seen bluecoats, cadets, cavies, glassmen, crown, and spirit.

i will see bd on sunday in allentown and will elaborate more, but this is my opinion so far....

bluecoats as an all around section are definately the tighest line out there right now. their snare line is pretty #### clean thus far, and their bassline is not only the most "ballsy" that ive heard, they are also throwin down some notes that i havent seen any other basslines playing in a few years (and i mean im comparing this line with some of phantom and cadets' basslines from a few years back). The tenor line at coats is big, but they are holdin it down and are playing well. the first time i saw them in june they were more consistent than some of the other guys out there, playing phrases from attack to release very well. i cant wait to see these guys again this weekend.

so far this season i've seen bluecoats, cadets, cavies, glassmen, crown, and spirit.

i will see bd on sunday in allentown and will elaborate more, but this is my opinion so far....

bluecoats as an all around section are definately the tighest line out there right now. their snare line is pretty #### clean thus far, and their bassline is not only the most "ballsy" that ive heard, they are also throwin down some notes that i havent seen any other basslines playing in a few years (and i mean im comparing this line with some of phantom and cadets' basslines from a few years back). The tenor line at coats is big, but they are holdin it down and are playing well. the first time i saw them in june they were more consistent than some of the other guys out there, playing phrases from attack to release very well. i cant wait to see these guys again this weekend.

What's remarkable about SCV's line this year is that they are the strongest the line has been since 04, and they are INCREDIBLY young for a top tier drumline. There are 5 or 6 people who just graduated high school, and at least one more who just left his sophomore year in high school. Wouldn't know that from listening to them, now would you?

I think Crown has come really far from what their drumline was last year... but I'd have to say the best is still Phantom!!!

I like Regiment and SCV. I dunno about Regiment's book being easy or anything - the Pearl video shows them playing some nice book - lots of changeup b/w rudiments, and plenty of flams from what I could see. Love the pit sound - just amazing. The Vespertine Formations bits are just incredible. Look ma, no electronics! They should get 1000x the GE for those echo effects - hope the judges notice how cool that is.

SCV's book reminds me of some of my favorite stuff from past SCV books, so I really dig it, and they have a nice clean snareline this year. Love that quirky drumsolo this year - shoot, it's practially a full drum solo! Wonderful!

Don't want to get into criticism of other lines, but either I don't like their die-Nasty sound or they're just too dang dirty.