We're ALL suckers...

The only conspiracy in DCI right now is how they are adding a $4.50 "handling charge" to each ticket you buy. Not each ticket order, but each individual ticket. That added an additional $40 to my ticket orders this year.

After paying for said fees, my tickets didn't show up at the box office for the first or second show, and I'll probably have to get another pass from the will call booth to get into the stadium at Stanford.

With this kind of ham-handed bungling, who can seriously accuse DCI of having the intellectual capital to plan and execute any kind of meaningful conspiracy?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That's crazy. Most people go to see the shows, not because the scores are close.

Hear, hear! I know I go to be entertained...well...and have my brains blown out by LOOOOOUUUUUD!!! ^OO^

God I love drum corps! :ph34r:

Dude, we heard there was some kind of DaVinci Code-esque secret to who will win each year in the third "Fanfare" column in October each year.

Also, tell Dan Acheson it's hard to get so many live Pomeranian puppies for the Board to eat at meetings on such short notice.

Oh no George, not the Pomeranians! :P

First, much respect to you for marching 84 Cadets. One of the first shows I saw live as a young man, and that got me hooked to march in, volunteer, and enjoy the activity.

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. I do believe that the show designs of the corps are better than previous years, and the performance levels of the corps members are stronger than ever. These two items are a fantastic combination for great entertainment.

Quite possibly the model post! Complimentary of the OP, but respectfully in disagreement. Might I suggest that more of us behave in such manner (myself included).

I would see the possibility the OP is right except that nobody seems to be able to predict who will come out on top at any particular show. The top 5-7 corps has jostled every day during the season, to the point that I can't even say "top 6" b/c Crown's numbers have surpassed SCV at specific points a couple of times. SCV started a very surprising first based on strictly numbers. And Blooo has come out of nowhere! OK, don't flame me for that--don't take that out of context. Hence 23 pages in one morning of "Holy Snodgrass--where did THAT come from!?"

I have said since finals last year, watch out--this year is going to be the most competitive yet! And DCI doesn't have to do anything to make it so--the corps are proving me right all by themselves--at every level!!

Are you going to another drum corps event that's not run by DCI?

Uuuhhh...noooooo :ph34r: Why would I? I don't have any issues with DCI. It's not a conspiracy. They're actually trying to do the best job they can. Why wouldn't they? If I thought I could do any better I'd apply for a job there myself (but frankly, I don't think they would pay very well). :)

Uuuhhh...noooooo :ph34r: Why would I? I don't have any issues with DCI. It's not a conspiracy. They're actually trying to do the best job they can. Why wouldn't they? If I thought I could do any better I'd apply for a job there myself (but frankly, I don't think they would pay very well). :)

Well you mentioned loud and in-your-face. That can't be DCI-type corps. They rarely play above a forte (except '03 Phantom and now '07 Bluecoats).

Does anyone else out there find it interesting that the most competitive year in DCI history (any winner on any given night) is happening in the very same summer that the championships are in California for the first time ever??

Hmmmm...

Do you think DCI is trying to sell tickets in Pasadena?

I do.

:ph34r:

Got to say this gets the award for silliest post of the day! :ph34r:

For all of the folks asking me if I have actually seen any shows, the answer is yes. I was at Centerville LAST NIGHT -- it was my third show of the summer, and I agree -- all of the corps are fantastic this year. I couldn't be happier with all of the shows. One of the best years ever.

Earlier this year I decided that I was not going to go to finals. It will be the first one I'm going to miss since 1999. Mostly because it is in California -- it's just too far for me this year.

Anyway, after the show last night, I was totally pumped. Seeing the Bluecoats actually beat Cavies and BD was amazing. At that instant, I actually thought about going to finals -- because all of the corps are so competitive this year -- anyone could win this thing. And I wanted to be there for it!

And it got me thinking... and I posted this topic this morning.

I have no idea if ticket sales are up, down or the same as last year.

I just find it interesting that the most competitive year in history coincidentally has its finals farther away from its "traditional" fan base than ever before.

That is all.