Who Is Next?

Which 23-13 corps do you think is the next up and coming corps that will possibly make its way into the coveted top 12 in the coming years? Why?

My heart says Crossmen but my brain says Spirit or Colts.

• Like 1

This type of thread shouldn't be allowed without also specifying the corps that will be displaced. Is it automatically assumed to be the current 12th place corps? Glassmen have only missed finals maybe 2-3 times since making it in 1993. I'm sure the same can be said for Blue Knights. Madison's only going up, and Blue Stars is one the DCI darlings.

So, a more interesting question would be: Who's more likely to stumble; to lose their inertia, thus making it more likely that [insert ur fav non-top-12] will get in?

• Like 1

I'm not so sure I see anyone moving in or out of finals for this coming year.

Glassmen and BK have been finals staples for a long time now. Madison is trending up although they will have a tough time moving up this year because of the quality of the groups in front of them. Boston isn't going to miss Saturday. And the previous years top 8 is basically a lock for finals.

Colts, Academy and Troopers have some serious work to do to get past Friday.

I'm not so sure I see anyone moving in or out of finals for this coming year.

Glassmen and BK have been finals staples for a long time now. Madison is trending up although they will have a tough time moving up this year because of the quality of the groups in front of them. Boston isn't going to miss Saturday. And the previous years top 8 is basically a lock for finals.

Colts, Academy and Troopers have some serious work to do to get past Friday.

Colts have been in 13th very close to Finals for two years. SO close in 2009, decently close in 2010. I can't figure out what's keeping them out of finals except that the Top 12 are SO good lately. And for that, I cannot complain. Better to be out because someone is better than because you are not good enough!

This type of thread shouldn't be allowed without also specifying the corps that will be displaced. Is it automatically assumed to be the current 12th place corps? Glassmen have only missed finals maybe 2-3 times since making it in 1993. I'm sure the same can be said for Blue Knights. Madison's only going up, and Blue Stars is one the DCI darlings.

So, a more interesting question would be: Who's more likely to stumble; to lose their inertia, thus making it more likely that [insert ur fav non-top-12] will get in?

Here is how I've described this very phenomenon in other venues:

In order to break into finals, stay there and keep moving up, a corps - any corps - is going to have to be the 500 lb. gorilla in the room. It's not good enough to just be close and hope for the best. You've got to make a move and make it big, and that is a monster of a feat because in the modern drum corps era you need a magic mix of design, talent, instruction and management in order to become that undeniable entity in the mix.

So, to address your particular question, it's not who is going to stumble but who is going to come into the room and force an answer to the placement question. Madison's move last year might have been a gorilla - we'll see if it sticks. On the other hand, it could be that a stumble will happen and placements might shift a little, but that's less likely to create a completely new dynamic in the top 12 for the long term, IMO.