What shows first turned you on to drum corps, and why?

First post!

In high school, my director randomly put on a video that happened to be the ESPN recording of finals 2005. Cadets '05 was the first show I ever saw, and it really stuck with me.

I didn't see my first live show until my first performance with Troopers- we went on after Pioneer, then I watched Boston Crusaders and Cavaliers. I realized all the work was worth it.

• Like 3

First post!

In high school, my director randomly put on a video that happened to be the ESPN recording of finals 2005. Cadets '05 was the first show I ever saw, and it really stuck with me.

I didn't see my first live show until my first performance with Troopers- we went on after Pioneer, then I watched Boston Crusaders and Cavaliers. I realized all the work was worth it.

Then you may have missed this article.

Sorry so short. Blame Boo. He asked.

Don't be sorry...It was a great read and your enthusiasm certainly came through.

Going DCA here...Westshoremen 1983. Blew a fifteen year old kid away...and I fell in love!

I had been rehearsing with my corps since December, but had never seen a live show. My mom put me in the corps, as she was in Majorettes back in the day, and figured they were similar.

SO, I had really no idea what I was going to encounter, until we got to the first show of the season. Kitchener-Waterloo. 1987. Dutch Boy.

My section leader in High School, Freshman year 2005 gave me a mix tape that had BD playing When a Man Loves a Woman and Phantom 2003...

PR 2003 practically gave me an out-of-body-experience while listening to it... I'm not kidding. Didn't know their context but man, it was insane. They were so good that even the possibility of joining a group like this didn't even cross my mind as I didn't know of any marching activity outside of marching band and I gradually did my own research by youtubing them, finding a corps in California, finding people I knew who were into it, but Crossmen 1989,92 (Minuano 6/8, Under The Sun, Rainforest) really got me going about ACTUALLY Marching with a Drum Corps because my 2007 high school show were those pieces. The show was called "Inspire" and that's precisely what it did. It along with PR 2003 Inspired the heck out of me to join a drum corps. My folks and I watched part of the 2007/2008 finals on KPBS but I was stupid and didn't watch the rest because I was so insanely jealous of all of them and made me realize how much my band "sucked" in comparison.

7 years and 3 DC seasons later I'm on the verge of making my dream corps.

Going DCA here...Westshoremen 1983. Blew a fifteen year old kid away...and I fell in love!

<insert evil laugh>

Enjoying these as I didn't see my first show until 7 months after I joined my first corps...... and about 4 or 5 months after that corps folded and I joined my second corps. (And that year would NOT have blown you away :tongue: ).

Seeing Troopers in 1974 (5th that year) doing full show run thrus in street clothes blew me away. They did "waiting for the scores" exhibition at our home show which would have been the 2nd show I ever attended. Then we had the Skyliners competing that night when they were in full "it's our turn, get the #### off OUR field" 'tude. At a few days short of turning 17, it was "Ya ain't in MB anymore Jimmy". :blink:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

First post!

Cadets 05 remains one of my favorite shows, despite the controversy. The brass line was darn near flawless and had near perfect balance. Incredible percussion book and guard work as well.

• Like 1

My answer will definitely show my age, but here it goes. I had the opportunity to hear the early 1970s Cavaliers on record. Then, when I saw the 1978 Madison Scouts live in person, that was what really got me interested. They rehearsed in my hometown and I had the opportunity to watch too. Great show!

I love reading this stuff. It proves our common bond and the fact that drum corps fans can be made if they're not born into the activity. It gives me hope that we can continue to make new fans to keep alive the activity.

Interesting

I was born into it

I have no such bond, I am bondless, Ive been forsaken :sad:

maybe thats why I want to pick on so many d/c fan or maybe its because they are just wrong, wrong, wrong

Edited by cowtown