What corps.......

Boston practices at Quincy Ma, right before going on tour. Quincy stadium is about 2 miles from the City of Boston itself. The Corps headquarters are in the Boston area, most of the Board members are from the Boston area, its current Executive Director is born and raised in Boston(and also marched in the Corps ) and the Corps gets the largest bulk of its funds to run its Corps from the generosity of fans and alums from the Boston area. And its 2 shows it sponsors each year is in the Boston area ( Quincy, Lawrence ) Like most DCI Corps, Boston gets marchers now from all over the country.No doubt this has allowed them to both survive and prosper in difficult times, and are grateful for this national and international draw for its members. Ironically, there are more alums from the Boston Crusaders that were from Hyde Park section of Boston that marched in the Corps in the 50's and early 60's that now live in retirement in Florida than live in the city of Boston.( ( or they reside in Heaven or that Other Place now ). But they wore the Red and Black. So they remain " Boston Crusaders " no matter where their bed and pillow resides these nights now.

I think this topic is covered each year. Corps get their names now not from where the vast majority of their marchers come from anymore. The days of the neighborhood Drum Corps where 80-90% of the marchers were born and raised in that community went out with duck tailed greasers haircuts. Some people apparently havn't quite come to grips with Drum Corps INTERNATIONAL Corps, as this topic comes up on DCP each spring almost like crocuses, daffodills, and tulips pop up every year in the spring in the colder climates of the US.

The Madison Scouts are the Madison Scouts too. One look should be enough to see it too.

That's fine that they return there right before tour, but their winter camps are in Florida, which is not Boston. That was the point. Same with Madison rehearsing in Bloomington. The office and everything is in the home city, yes, but they don't do camps in the home city. They go somewhere else, then return home right before tour

That's fine that they return there right before tour, but their winter camps are in Florida, which is not Boston. That was the point. Same with Madison rehearsing in Bloomington. The office and everything is in the home city, yes, but they don't do camps in the home city. They go somewhere else, then return home right before tour

So, since they are spending their move-in in southern California this summer after holding winter camps in Massachusetts, Florida, Texas AND California, I guess I would ask, "What is your point?"

Like BRASSO, I'm a bit surprised this topic has arisen...again.

And to the OP, you knew full well you were setting the bait.... :rock:

Bluecoats have winter camps in both Texas and Canton, Ohio. Those who live closer to texas go to those camps and those who live closer to Canton go to those, but once they bring the corps together (starting with their april camp i believe) all camps are then in Canton or the surrounding area.

Edited by bluecoats88

So, since they are spending their move-in in southern California this summer after holding winter camps in Massachusetts, Florida, Texas AND California, I guess I would ask, "What is your point?"

Like BRASSO, I'm a bit surprised this topic has arisen...again.

And to the OP, you knew full well you were setting the bait.... :rock:

My point was just to answer the question, sorry if that has offended anyone associated with the Boston organization.

Not sure. But I'm in San Antonio and the Crossmen are right down the street rehearsing as I type this... =)

-

That doesn't count, Crossmen are from West Chester PA, Corps hall used to be on Westtown Rd. So that answer is no, just like most corps especally D1 or Open or whatever thier called this year.

• Like 1

That doesn't count, Crossmen are from West Chester PA, Corps hall used to be on Westtown Rd. So that answer is no, just like most corps especally D1 or Open or whatever thier called this year.

The Crossmen WERE from West Chester, PA. They are not anymore, which is pretty obvious. But they are still the Crossmen. Heck, when was the last time they were actually from West Chester. They've been from Wilmington/Newark, DE; Bensalem, PA; YEA; and Allentown, PA. And I might have missed one.

Yes West Chester is still a "home" for the corps and Crossmen alumni are everywhere around here. I run into to people at Wawa all the time, haha. The whole East Coast is home for the Crossmen. And so is the whole state of Texas.

The Crossmen are from San Antonio, TX right now. Trust me I know... I flew 2,000 miles to camps and spring training that were all in San Antonio.

• Like 2

Oh and don't get me wrong here as I understand your point here too. I wish the Red Sox and the Brewers had their Spring training camps in New England and Wisconsin too. But sometimes the baseball diamonds are covered with white stuff in January and the sub freezing temps would make the pitcher's spitballs freeze up while they're on the mound, and doing a Corps camp outdoors in New England and Wisconsin in January- February would likewise make the lips freeze on the brass instrument mouthpiece ala The Christmas Story sadsack with his frozen lips on the pole, you know ? I can certainly understand that if a New England or midwestern Corps has the opportunity to do an outdoor camp in Jan- Feb in a warm weather locale that'd it'd be better than doing it outdoors in Jan- Feb in sub freezing New England and Wisco. Its a lot easier to get 30 pages of drill practiced outdoors in places like Florida than in New England, Wisco. This isn't a a Divine Revelation to anyone. So thats why these Corps ( like MLB teams ) head south in Winter or early Spring to do their camps.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Oh and don't get me wrong here as I understand your point here too. I wish the Red Sox and the Brewers had their Spring training camps in New England and Wisconsin too. But sometimes the baseball diamonds are covered with white stuff in January and the sub freezing temps would make the pitcher's spitballs freeze up while they're on the mound, and doing a Corps camp outdoors in New England and Wisconsin in January- February would likewise make the lips freeze on the brass instrument mouthpiece ala The Christmas Story sadsack with his frozen lips on the pole, you know ? I can certainly understand that if a New England or midwestern Corps has the opportunity to do an outdoor camp in Jan- Feb in a warm weather locale that'd it'd be better than doing it outdoors in Jan- Feb in sub freezing New England and Wisco. Its a lot easier to get 30 pages of drill practiced outdoors in places like Florida than in New England, Wisco. This isn't a a Divine Revelation to anyone. So thats why these Corps ( like MLB teams ) head south in Winter or early Spring to do their camps.

That all makes sense, and isn't a good chunk of the Boston staff from Florida?

If weather is the problem, I wonder why madison only travels a few hours south? Does indiana not get snow?

Also, it's great for the california corps, especially this year when they can be outside for every camp

That all makes sense, and isn't a good chunk of the Boston staff from Florida?

If weather is the problem, I wonder why madison only travels a few hours south? Does indiana not get snow?

Also, it's great for the california corps, especially this year when they can be outside for every camp

The Univ. of Alabama at Huntsville has a Div. 1 College Hockey program. Why do they principally recruit in New England, Canada and other northern climes instead of Alabama for hockey players ? Do you know ? I could never figure this out. And I could never figure out why to my knowledge no College Hockey fans ever asked this question before either. Its kind of weird why this college in the south gets players from the cold climates to go play college hockey in Alabama, instead ofthe school mostly recruiting hockey players from around Huntsville, Ala. The college has 33 hockey scholarship players on their current roster. None from the state of Alabama. Half are from Canada. Its so weird for this Alabama state school to look north for hockey players and some hockey staff for their school don't you think ? Why do you suppose they do this ? It seems rather confusing to me why. Do you know however ? And maybe they should change the name of the school and its college hockey program while there at it if none of the players and staff were born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama. Do you agree ? Or should we conclude that this zip code silliness is just that.... silliness ?

Edited by BRASSO