26 replies to this topic

#1 twillms73

twillms73

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Forgive me if this has been covered before but, in the past few seasons, I've noticed Brandt and the other announcers leaving off the "The" from corps names. For example, when introducing the corps, they say "Colts" instead "The Colts" or "Blue Devils" instead of "The Blue Devils". Obviously for corps like Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment or Jersey Surf, it makes sense. With corps with the "S" on the end, it sounds odd.

Just curious.
Tom Willms

IYMSportsRadio.com

Sound of Long Island Baritone & French Horn 89-90
(1989 UDCA Champions)
Sunrisers Mellophone 91-92
Bushwackers DM 93-94,04
(1993 undefeated DCA World Champions)
Sunrisers DM 95-98,03
West Sayville Golden Eagles DM 01-02,04,07-09
(2004 DCA Mini-Corps World Champions)
(2007 MCA Invitational Champions)
(2009 BHOF North American Champions)
DCI/DCA Show announcer since 2002.

#2 skywhopper

skywhopper

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Some corps include "The" in their official name, eg The Cavaliers, The Cadets, The Academy. Most don't, eg Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Troopers, Madison Scouts, Colts.

I believe the announcers try to use the correct version of the name, though sometimes a "the" will get in there.
Posted Image
Drum corps fan since August 12, 1991. Proud dad of a future guard member!

#3 flammaster

flammaster

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,852 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Because Sony owns "The"

huckleberry.gif

#4 IllianaLancerContra

IllianaLancerContra

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Some corps include "The" in their official name, eg The Cavaliers, The Cadets, The Academy. Most don't, eg Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Troopers, Madison Scouts, Colts.

I believe the announcers try to use the correct version of the name, though sometimes a "the" will get in there.

DCI should make a rule that ALL corps must use 'The' as part of their name. :cool:

#5 twillms73

twillms73

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

As long as I've been involved, the corps' names were like this. It's only a recent trend that they were announced as such. Obviously not a big deal, just a curiosity.

Tom Willms

IYMSportsRadio.com

Sound of Long Island Baritone & French Horn 89-90
(1989 UDCA Champions)
Sunrisers Mellophone 91-92
Bushwackers DM 93-94,04
(1993 undefeated DCA World Champions)
Sunrisers DM 95-98,03
West Sayville Golden Eagles DM 01-02,04,07-09
(2004 DCA Mini-Corps World Champions)
(2007 MCA Invitational Champions)
(2009 BHOF North American Champions)
DCI/DCA Show announcer since 2002.

#6 TxBigfoot

TxBigfoot

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

Who cares? There are much more important things to ponder.
Crossmen 2011,2012 (son) Contra Can you say proud dad!!

lead soprano:

1985 Sky Ryders

1983-1984 Nighthawks

Posted Image

#7 zachariaswmb

zachariaswmb

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

Wait, is it the offseason already? Did I miss finals? :tongue:

Zachary Allyn

Southwind 2006
Phantom Regiment 2008
Crusaders Brass Team 2009
Empire Statesmen 2010 - 2013

#8 FlamMan

FlamMan

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

My Wife & I wondered the same thing. It sounds funny to introduce a corps without saying "the" before their name.

Also, I have to get this off my chest...I used to love Brandt Crocker back in the day when he spoke in his regular natural voice while introducing the corps. When did he start using the over the top raspy voice for his introductions? I literally couldn't understand what he was saying during a few of his introductions, the worst of which was phaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantom Regiment. It sounds terrible.
1981 Madison Scouts
'06 Madison Scouts Alumni Corps

The '70's & 80's were the glory years.

#9 Tusayan

Tusayan

DCP Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Forgive me if this has been covered before but, in the past few seasons, I've noticed Brandt and the other announcers leaving off the "The" from corps names. For example, when introducing the corps, they say "Colts" instead "The Colts" or "Blue Devils" instead of "The Blue Devils". Obviously for corps like Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment or Jersey Surf, it makes sense. With corps with the "S" on the end, it sounds odd.

Just curious.

This must be a recent change because in 2007 and 2009 finals BD was introduced as "the Blue Devils."

#10 Kamarag

Kamarag

DCP Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

This must be a recent change because in 2007 and 2009 finals BD was introduced as "the Blue Devils."

We've also referred to our corps as "the Blue Devils" or "the Concord Blue Devils" as long as I can remember. I would never introduce or refer to them without the "the".
John Adcock

Alumnus, Blue Devils, Suncoast Sound &
Reading Buccaneers

"If it's too loud, you're too old."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Please review Drum Corps Planet's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
The contents of this site are copyright (C) 2005-2010 DCP Partners, LLC and all rights are reserved. Requests for use may be directed to the DCP Office.
Drum Corps Planet™ and the DCP logo are trademarks of DCP Partners, LLC. All rights reserved. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.