"Colts" not "The Colts"

Forgive me if this has been covered before but, in the past few seasons, I've noticed Brandt and the other announcers leaving off the "The" from corps names. For example, when introducing the corps, they say "Colts" instead "The Colts" or "Blue Devils" instead of "The Blue Devils". Obviously for corps like Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment or Jersey Surf, it makes sense. With corps with the "S" on the end, it sounds odd.

Just curious.

• Like 1

Some corps include "The" in their official name, eg The Cavaliers, The Cadets, The Academy. Most don't, eg Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Troopers, Madison Scouts, Colts.

I believe the announcers try to use the correct version of the name, though sometimes a "the" will get in there.

Some corps include "The" in their official name, eg The Cavaliers, The Cadets, The Academy. Most don't, eg Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Troopers, Madison Scouts, Colts.

I believe the announcers try to use the correct version of the name, though sometimes a "the" will get in there.

DCI should make a rule that ALL corps must use 'The' as part of their name. :cool:

• Like 1

As long as I've been involved, the corps' names were like this. It's only a recent trend that they were announced as such. Obviously not a big deal, just a curiosity.

Who cares? There are much more important things to ponder.

My Wife & I wondered the same thing. It sounds funny to introduce a corps without saying "the" before their name.

Also, I have to get this off my chest...I used to love Brandt Crocker back in the day when he spoke in his regular natural voice while introducing the corps. When did he start using the over the top raspy voice for his introductions? I literally couldn't understand what he was saying during a few of his introductions, the worst of which was phaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantom Regiment. It sounds terrible.

• Like 2

Forgive me if this has been covered before but, in the past few seasons, I've noticed Brandt and the other announcers leaving off the "The" from corps names. For example, when introducing the corps, they say "Colts" instead "The Colts" or "Blue Devils" instead of "The Blue Devils". Obviously for corps like Carolina Crown, Phantom Regiment or Jersey Surf, it makes sense. With corps with the "S" on the end, it sounds odd.

Just curious.

This must be a recent change because in 2007 and 2009 finals BD was introduced as "the Blue Devils."

This must be a recent change because in 2007 and 2009 finals BD was introduced as "the Blue Devils."

We've also referred to our corps as "the Blue Devils" or "the Concord Blue Devils" as long as I can remember. I would never introduce or refer to them without the "the".