Bluecoats New Ending?

I hope it was just the recording, but I noticed two distinct recent changes to their ending. Did they turn down the "synth" at the end of their show? Before it matched the horn-line perfectly. It seemed to me on the on the Ft. Wayne VOD on Fan Network that it was a huge drop off. Also, I do not like the several second break in between the last ensemble impact and the last 15 seconds of the show. IMO it worked better as one continuous flow. Perhaps they are tweaking it, but for sure I never thought I would say this, but crank the electronics up! You have a great show!

Edited by ohbaby
  • Like 1

I'd rather them do the pitch bends with the brass, not the synthesizer. With the synthesizer, they are pretenders, not contenders.

• Like 2

I hope it was just the recording, but I noticed two distinct recent changes to their ending. Did they turn down the "synth" at the end of their show? Before it matched the horn-line perfectly. It seemed to me on the on the Ft. Wayne VOD on Fan Network that it was a huge drop off. Also, I do not like the several second break in between the last ensemble impact and the last 15 seconds of the show. IMO it worked better as one continuous flow. Perhaps they are tweaking it, but for sure I never thought I would say this, but crank the electronics up! You have a great show!

Good observation, as I noticed this as well... just as you did.

I think the reason for the sound difference is that the Ft Wayne VOD show was recorded with only the stereo pair of microphones on the 50 yard line, where they were far away from the speakers, whereas the Innovations VOD was recorded with the full DCI finals-type setup including microphones on the speakers. Neither is exactly as the audience hears it, but the more microphones used, the better the mix can be.

• Like 1

I'd rather them do the pitch bends with the brass, not the synthesizer. With the synthesizer, they are pretenders, not contenders.

Honest question from a guy who bangs things with sticks:

Is that 'Coats "tilt" really possible with horns?

• Like 2

The sound seemed softer because of the mic placement at Ft Wayne. Many of the electronic segments were softer for all groups because of this. They are not pretending to play the pitch bend, they obviously pull the horns from their faces when the bend happens.

• Like 1

They should actually play the pitch bend. And yes, garfield, the pitch bend is possible, but difficult for one player to do, let alone 80 of them.

However, if they pulled it off, I'd pee my pants with excitement, and it just may help them get a silver medal.

(I don't think anyone will be getting the gold this year, unless they are the Blue Devils.)

• Like 1

You can bend a pitch about a half to a whole tone, but they can half-valve it to get 2 whole-tones down, which is what the synthesizer does.

• Like 1

Honest question from a guy who bangs things with sticks:

Is that 'Coats "tilt" really possible with horns?

They'd have to half-valve it for the interval size they're doing, but possible.