Recaps and "content" scores - BD, Cadets, BC, Crown, SCV

Since I'm not a judging guru, help me understand what it is that the judges have set as the significantly higher "content" in BD's captions? This huge gap, by the way, is very recent.

I'm reading 3-5 point gaps in everything BD's attempting to do compared to other corps. Their execution also leaves room to grow. But at this point, with such huge "content" (for lack of a better term) gap between the devils and everyone else, the judging community is essentially saying no one else has the show to win. Even if they don't clean as well as someone else, what they're attempting, according to the judges, is more difficult enough, or designed better, etc., to win anyway.

Am I reading this wrong? If so, how else would you interpret these captions.

here's my hunch, and this isn't BD haterade.

BD in their last few shows have not been against anyone in that top 4-5 tier. As such, when they follow whoever else is there...they are so much better, it ends up inflating the number.

I honestly expect to see some scores level out this weekend

• Like 1

here's my hunch, and this isn't BD haterade.

BD in their last few shows have not been against anyone in that top 4-5 tier. As such, when they follow whoever else is there...they are so much better, it ends up inflating the number.

I honestly expect to see some scores level out this weekend

My theory as well. It's already happened a couple times this season. The larger the gap between corps, the harder it is for the judges to keep spreads or numbers similar to that of another competition going on in the same day. To emphasize the difference between BD and say, Blue Stars, the judges probably inflate the scores a ton.

well and also, there's many new faces out there this year. Some may be...exuberant in handing out numbers. Is someone really 9.8 readable this early? if they are, then by finals, you should see performer numbers rise above that or have them both flatline.

I'm not sure it's just who they've been up against.

The judges are basically saying that, in terms of drill, or GE, or their percussion and brass books, that they're attempting (to borrow from ice skating) a quad, while the other top corps are just attempting a double or triple axle.

I don't see more demand or content in the Devils' show compared to the others. In fact, I see more demand elsewhere. That's why I'm confused here.

I see higher execution of slightly lower demand in the Devils show. They've played that card very well in recent years, and it's won them gold.

• Like 1

demand isn't just running the whole show or playing a bunch of notes. demand is the layered responsibilities, both physical, visual, musical and environmental. yes, BD does LOOK easy...but dig deep. BD gives you lots of small things all happening at once spread across the field. they've become the masters of how to show you can do something well yet not beating you over the head with it repeatedly.

• Like 4

One of the key words in there is LAYERING. The Blue Devils are masters at presenting many ideas layered on top of one another at any given moment in a show, and making it cohesive. They integrate musical and visual ideas so seamlessly.

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 2

Scores'll level out during the weekend. I actually have tickets to NightBEAT as the last day of my vacation. Can't wait!

When BD manages to go to a comp and play right after a not-as-advanced corps, what the judges have in their mind creates a huge gap in scores and causes inflation. It will level out, though I firmly believe bd will dominate.

demand isn't just running the whole show or playing a bunch of notes. demand is the layered responsibilities, both physical, visual, musical and environmental. yes, BD does LOOK easy...but dig deep. BD gives you lots of small things all happening at once spread across the field. they've become the masters of how to show you can do something well yet not beating you over the head with it repeatedly.

Like Crown's hornline?

• Like 1