DCA From Home - Odds 'n Ends

And as things come to me I'll add:

Third time watching Prelims at home and of course first for the Finals. Before we just bought the Prelims but now have the FN subscription and hope to pound that more. What helps is we now have a laptop with an HDMI plug and were watching the TV via our WiFi. And for what we are paying our TV/phone/Internet provider that #### thing better work.

Prelims: Not gonna gripe about the feed problems. I work IT and have been on that hell of a mess more times than I want to remember. One thing I will NOT miss during retirement. Second feed was doable but hope what was missed because of live problems will be able to be seen on "tape". OK I'm old I still think of things being taped.

My 81 yr old dad came over for lunch and got to watch some corps starting with Govies. He hasn't seen a show in about 25 years and interesting comments from someone who wasn't going to watch LOL. Main comments were lack of a lot of movement and guard dancing and little equipment work. Of course some of the lack of movement was due to Class A size but he was enjoying himself reliving memories. Oh yeah God almighty he still remembers Butch Anderson of the Skyliners (if not Butchs name). Other comment of note was: "What the Hell they're all on that side of the field?" IOW he never saw asymmetric drill. And "Where are these guys from?". When told Minnesota followed by Kilties of Wisconsin it was "####!".

Tried to pick out Charlie Groh but too far away. Narrowed it down to four guys with Charlies type of head gear...

Alumni: NICE flashback segment before Alumni show of (I forget) and Steel City. Saw a glimpse of Hairbear and Sandy which brought smiles to our faces. Then saw Hair with the umbrella and we both yelled at the same time. Missed Jim Russo playing Chris Christie but will have to go back for that. Very quick 3 hours.

Finals: First entire Finals we have seen in years as usually have to leave early. Loved Gil S talking about 50 year marriage and then a proposal that you couldn't hear but knew what was going on by body language. Maybe Gil has ESP....

Bit of stutter on the feed at times but sound not affected that I could tell.

Windsor Regiment made a statement they will be back next year.

Much as I love Govies (and my wife and I had a great talk with Asst DM Charlie 2 years back) bravo White Sabers. There were at our hotel for 2 years when they missed Finals and witnessed them playing for each other for the last time. Class act even then...

Lancers did a parade or two with Fusion their first year and got to talk to an instructor named Nick(y?). Great corps guy and corps just impressed me with dealing with first year struggles. Been then as was with Westshoremen when they reformed and could feel for them. Now Fusion got higher at Finals than I even did (6th).

Larry Hershman as Steve Rs first guest... Westshore 1974 was Larrys first year as Business Manager and my first year in corps. Dang am I historic or just old. Rondos segments were really good and informative and came across the Web well.

Fran Haring.... announcing the corps, switching to Rondo and even doing a few commercials... did you have a plug in your ear telling you when to switch as it seemed.. well seamless...

Personal thoughts: Missed seeing our friends live but did NOT miss the drive or two days of stadium seats. This year we just would not be physically able to do it. Today (Monday) every now and then we'd look at the clock and figure where we would be if driving home. From 1-3 it was stuck in traffic between Bucknell/Lewisburg and where US11-15 goes back to freeway. And if my wife had .25 for each time I said "I can't believe the technology" she would be able to buy a baseball bat... to beat me for saying "I can't believe the technology".

And (won't say what show or corps) but have an addition to "hot dog corps" or "bathroom corps". New phrase is "shower corps" as have to leave right after this webcast is done but need to clean up sometime. So you pick a corps to miss while in the shower.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Nice Jim... all good points

I have not been able to view the clean up of the prelim s there not showing as being av. are they still there to be viewed or did they pull the pug on them?

I have not been able to view the clean up of the prelim s there not showing as being av. are they still there to be viewed or did they pull the pug on them?

I'm thinking they are editing them down for Video on Demand and you'll be able to see every corps in glorious HD that way. It doesn't make sense to go back and clean up a stream no one will ever see again.

• Like 1

I think the Rondo features were well done. the feed issues were beyond DCA's control, and finals was much better.

Fran Haring.... announcing the corps, switching to Rondo and even doing a few commercials... did you have a plug in your ear telling you when to switch as it seemed.. well seamless...

Jim, Mike Symonds was making those calls as to when to throw it to Steve Rondinaro.

Mike would relay the info to the announcer's booth via headset to Steve Anderman and/or Rocky Perrotta (one of the stadium staff members who is also the regular stadium PA guy), then those guys would cue me.

Yes, things are a bit more involved than the old days of "here... read this stuff on this piece of paper." :tongue:

I had a blast working with Mike Symonds, Steve Anderman and Steve Rondinaro!!! Three great pros and great guys. The between-corps interviews were terrific. I hope we can have the same format again next year!!!

• Like 1

And Rocky from the stadium.... man, he is awesome. Great to work with.

So if Fran screws something up he can blame Mike now... :tounge2:

Also Kris took a nap during Finals (2 corps).... She was feeling tired and decided a quick 20 winks was needed so she could stay up for Retreat. Didn't pick which corps to miss so we don't have a "nap corps" to go with bathroom, hot dog and shower corps. Her body said now so she tilted back the lift chair and crashed out. And I started thinking the lift chair would be nice at stadiums but noise of the motors would drown out the corps. :huh2:

Edited by JimF-LowBari