Championship Site Tests

... You're absolutely right. But until someone is willing to step forward and foot the bill, there is simply no reason for the Northeast corps to travel. If you can figure out a way to ensure that travel is in the best interests of those corps, more power to you.

It's more than that ... the OP was looking for Championship "test sites" ... and, IMO, it just can't be done if you base the success of the show on that gate alone ... the complex algorithm that DCA has set up regarding travel and hotel rooms into the financial mix has nothing to do with the money realized from ticket sales ... unless a "test site" comes up with a comprehensive "weekend" package, DCA (i.e. The Corps) will migrate to where they benefit the most ... and right now that's Rochester ... I don't think a test site is possible as a proving ground to hosting the Championship weekend ...

• Like 2

It won't happen anytime soon, but I can guarantee that if Minneapolis were ever to host the DCA Championships it would be the best-attended, best advertised and best-organized DCA Championships in the history of DCA.

Why? Because the the Twin Cities have a long and lengthy track record of supporting oddball music festivals. With 3.5 million residents, MSP is the North's answer to Austin and the SXSW festival. And as host, MBI would have the best connections to all local rehearsal venues. Furthermore, the stadium (The U of M's TCF Bank Stadium) was designed (with the help of acousticians) to be the best stadium in the US for musical acts. DCI recognized this and their DCI Minnesota show is among their premier venues. This stadium has amazing acoustics. It's like it was built for marching bands and drum corps. The premier suites sell out for DCI Minnesota and those go for $1600 a crack.

Again, it won't happen anytime soon. But imagine the possibilities. :)

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 3

Does anyone know when the next DCA meeting is ? l guess after that meet we find out what corps are doing what shows .

Having the non-Northeast corps meeting up in Cincinnati would be a power line-up:

Alliance

Atlanta CV

Carolina Gold

CHOPS

Cincinnati Tradition

Erie Thunderbirds

Kilties

Govies

Minnesota Brass

:ninja:

Hey Bill -

That'd be an interesting slate..Only question is how many of the faithful from those groups would help bring up the attendance numbers to make it viable. It's not like they're traveling to Rochacha.

Are there enough folks in the 2 "other" regions that would be willing to brainstorm options to publicize, promote and dig up sponsors to find a way to pull this off?

I certainly hope so. I just hope the Cincinnati area would have the logistical facilities to pull off something like this.

I'd be up for this kind of road trip..Might be one of those I STILL might be able to drive to..

Pat

... You're absolutely right. But until someone is willing to step forward and foot the bill, there is simply no reason for the Northeast corps to travel. If you can figure out a way to ensure that travel is in the best interests of those corps, more power to you.

It's more than that ... the OP was looking for Championship "test sites" ... and, IMO, it just can't be done if you base the success of the show on that gate alone ... the complex algorithm that DCA has set up regarding travel and hotel rooms into the financial mix has nothing to do with the money realized from ticket sales ... unless a "test site" comes up with a comprehensive "weekend" package, DCA (i.e. The Corps) will migrate to where they benefit the most ... and right now that's Rochester ... I don't think a test site is possible as a proving ground to hosting the Championship weekend ...

I said this with Winston Salem in 2005, and I was called a hater, but I proved prophetic:

You need to a have sizable local base of fans that will fill in for the NE folks that are sure not to travel. You can view as selfish, lazy, cheap, whatever, it's a reality....you WILL lose a sizable number of fans that will not travel. Even as it is in the NE, there are fans that will NOT go to Rochester but they did go to Annapolis. If it were there I'd attend because it's easier for Sadie sitting purposes. Conversely, there are people who WILL go to Rochester that wouldn't go to Annapolis. Substitute anywhere Nj, CT, etc, there will be people that will go that haven't gone elsewhere, and vice versa.

Now...add a destination a thousand miles away. Ok, take Winston Salem, 7 hours from the closest NE Region corps. you got what 3100 fans? Oh sure, I've seen the claims of the rain keeping people away....that show was advertised to the drum corps fan and priced for the drum corps fan. The diehard. the casual fan didn't know about it and wasn't going to spend $40 to see it. DCA was unknown down there, the townie looking for something to do was going to go across the street from the stadium and pay $20 to watch monster trucks. Probably had far better concessions too.

Say DCA gets 6k paid ( i'm being generous I know)........you'll lose half of that if it moves out of the NE if not more. What region out there right now can fill in those gaps? Will your city open the vault the way Rochester does, and even there I've read people complaining about hotel fees going up. Would I travel if I didn't have a toddler? yeah, but i'm not normal. I actually go to prelims and watch every corps.

All of the regions need to do serious work in building their bases up, even the NE. But of the areas right now that it makes the most financial sense to do so, the NE is the winner right now. And until we see serious numbers from other places that could prove me wrong, I'm sure the corps see it too.

• Like 3

:ninja:

Hey Bill -

That'd be an interesting slate..Only question is how many of the faithful from those groups would help bring up the attendance numbers to make it viable. It's not like they're traveling to Rochacha.

Are there enough folks in the 2 "other" regions that would be willing to brainstorm options to publicize, promote and dig up sponsors to find a way to pull this off?

I certainly hope so. I just hope the Cincinnati area would have the logistical facilities to pull off something like this.

I'd be up for this kind of road trip..Might be one of those I STILL might be able to drive to..

Pat

Hi Pat,

I was mentioning Cincinnati as a regional---a Saturday evening perhaps. A quick "in and out"--if the show lasts longer than 4 hours---we'll have to seek medical attention.

The package is sell-able; even if the average Joe or Joette doesn't know drum corps..............it's the "all the way from........" marketing and the "never seen before, one time only event". put together "family pack" pricing, corporate VIP packages, etc.

All profit goes to Shriners, or St Judes or Breast Cancer, or Kiwanis, etc. Give the public a reason to go beyond the performance end; with other non-profits to benefit for their involvement marketing, boots on the ground, etc.

Putting on a successful drum corps show, for the most part, is simple........not easy, but simple.