Marching Band controversy

----------

Marching Band Routine Offends Mental Health Organization

SAN ANTONIO -- A recent performance by the Churchill High School marching band is being called offensive by some who say the performance was insensitive to those with mental illness.

The band's performance at the University Interscholastic League's state band competition -- entitled "Symphonic Schizophrenia" -- included props resembling padded walls and had some band members dressed in strait jackets running around the field in an erratic manner.

The head of the local chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness said he was contacted by several people who were upset by Churchill's performance...

----continue the rest at http://www.ksat.com/news/17985375/detail.html -------

Obviously another show made by someone who obviously has a thing for Star of Indiana(and their 93 show).

Anyways, while the party being involved wasn't technically a drum corps, I figured it is worth discussing.

My opinion:

The show itself looks rather terrible from a design standpoint(drill-wise...spelling out words is never a good choice IMO).

Though, the guy representing the mentally ill "being offended" is a ##### who can't appreciate an art form, and is taking their show WAAAAAAAAY out of context.

I wonder what that guy would have thought if he saw Blue Knights(WGI) 2005 show, or if he would have been offended by Phantom Regiment's violence used in their recent 08 show.

Thoughts?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show itself looks rather terrible from a design standpoint(drill-wise...spelling out words is never a good choice IMO).

How is this relevant in the slightest?

I dunno...I can see both sides...

This isn't the first time this has happened--I remember a few years ago people talking about a band that had some sort of "crazies in straightjackets" motif in their show. I think it is pretty shallow show design.

good for churchill... more exposure to the marching arts!!!

eh, actually, i personally don't have a problem with the show, yeah it doesn't look like the best design, and they could have done a similar theme without being so blunt with things... but in a world like today, when people are offended by the stupidest things, you have to be careful.... anyway, this topic will probably close soon, but it would be interesting to see what people have to say...

Cadets have a new idea? :big hug:

www.marchingbandplanet.org.

Ever hear of it?

A guard in TN did a show from this piece back in 2003 from TN. One of the best shows I've ever seen.