2012 Blue Devils

Although there have been several very interesting posts concerning the history of the dada movement, and a few attempts to make some kind of connection to BD's design/motivation......I, for one, couldn't care less about educating anyone on it or any connection, only to say that dada flew in the face of convention for myriad reasons, none of which matter to BD's show . My only thought had to do with my delight in their getting out of the box again.....someone has to! In fact, dada is no more relevant to BDs show than the Cadets theme is to theirs.....doesn't seem to be many posts exploring that or George's motivation....only "will it work?"

Utimately the Cadets show will be (I expect) a trek through our emotional family connections to the wonderful music, accompanied by amazing drill......whille BD will revel in the unexpected and perhaps a bit of shock. Nothing deeper than that......and no pop quiz at the end.

ah but see...people will say " i dont get the show". then the insults fly about being uneducated, a dinosaur, etc.

for a reference, see BD 2008-2011. I still say in 2011 had Ty Pennington showed up and Yelled "Move that bus" they would have had the GE to win

Or, the short version: we are self absorbed, mostly rich, navel gazers that are in our 20's that like to hang out in posh and toney Zurich, Switzerland and our favorite word is " Wah "

:spitting:

I get the " fog" bit. But my eyes do roll back into my head with Dada description of the fog's " paroxysm ".

I think that Bill Clinton once used " Dadaisms" when he was asked a question and replied under oath:

" Well it depends upon what the meaning of the word " Is"..... is". I think this could be an example of modern day Dada " paroxysms ".It did give Prosecutors a fit, so it was a " paroxysm " If not, then the "fog paroxysm " phrase might need some peroxide or something, imo, as I have no idea what Dada is talking about with this nonsense.

great. now I have visions of a guard girl in a blue dress that's stained

• Like 1

great. now I have visions of a guard girl in a blue dress that's stained

... and the drum major toting a cigar! :shutup:

(Oh, now I'm ashamed. Very, very ashamed! ......)

I love the rep, and if BD can come up with a brilliant visual program to accompany a la 2010 then it should be a killer show. I couldn't care less what the show is supposed to be "about" . . . we in the audience aren't privy to the convoluted explications that designers and staffers subject the judges to during critique. Doesn't matter. Good music, good visual and I'll be happy. BD pretty much always delivers in both respects, IMO.

For what it's worth, I find WGI-style poseur intellectualism - which a lot of corps indulge in (this show announcement is great example) - to be every bit as a banal and corny as a typically "corny" Crown show. Strangely enough I love the product both Crown and BD put on the field in most years. There's room in drum corps for all manner of styles . . . too bad more fans can't accept this.

• Like 5

yeah 43....a dinosaur.

guess what...i know many kids that go to shows that feel the same way

Totally just joking with ya Jeff. Just beating other posters to the "dinosaur" punch.

Poseur intellectualism - WGI style.

I like that description.

And please, let's hold off a little on all the jazz runs.

• Like 1

There's room in drum corps for all manner of styles . . . too bad more fans can't accept this.

Is is ok for a Corps show to poke criticism at conventionality and ALSO for some fans to also be extended the same apparently "unconventional" courtesy to say that they may like some things, but not other things ? Or is it just in the domain for a Corps to... as one fan said.... to " give the fans the middle finger " with their show", but it is verboten ( a word used in Zurich )for fans to express some displeasure with that.Do you find any hypocrisy is this ?

There is a Corps show for 2012 that is allegedly about a tribute to a group's fundamental sentiment of" not accepting things." Should fans however be REQUIRED to "accept" that a Corps show designer is paying tribute to a short lived group ( Dadaism ) that was heavily into criticism wah wah ? Does freedom of expression apply ONLY to the Corps right to express themselves, but NOT to the fans right to reject what THEY pay tribute to, or play, in their show ?

I will try and remain open to the distinct possibility that I will thoroughly enjoy or find intriguing this show, despite stong reservations right now after reading the theme and who it is paying tribute too, and its written convoluted description of the show. But you have to admit that reading the theme for the show does give one some pause if nothing else.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 8

... and the drum major toting a cigar! :shutup:

(Oh, now I'm ashamed. Very, very ashamed! ......)

well it depends on what your definition of "is" is

Is is ok for a Corps show to poke criticism at conventionality and ALSO for some fans to also be extended the same apparently "unconventional" courtesy to say that they may like some things, but not other things ? Or is it just in the domain for a Corps to... as one fan said.... to " give the fans the middle finger " with their show", but it is verboten ( a word used in Zurich )for fans to express some displeasure with that.Do you find any hypocrisy is this ?

There is a Corps show for 2012 that is allegedly about a tribute to a group's fundamental sentiment of" not accepting things." Should fans however be REQUIRED to "accept" that a Corps show designer is paying tribute to a short lived group ( Dadaism ) that was heavily into criticism wah wah ? Does freedom of expression apply ONLY to the Corps right to express themselves, but NOT to the fans right to reject what THEY pay tribute to, or play, in their show ?

I will try and remain open to the distinct possibility that I will thoroughly enjoy or find intriguing this show, despite stong reservations right now after reading the theme and who it is paying tribute too, and its written convoluted description of the show. But you have to admit that reading the theme for the show does give one some pause if nothing else.

Amen.

I have passed no judgement on any show yet...haven't seen or heard any.

But I do know, as is DCP custom, if you say you don't like/get a show, the insults will fly, as will being called a hater.

• Like 1