2012 Blue Devils

I could be wrong, but I doubt it will really be all that deep, ponderous or intellectually challenging...

Then don't release a pretentious show announcement that implies it will be.

• Like 2

Then don't release a pretentious show announcement that implies it will be.

There was NOTHING about Dadaism that was " intellectual ".

They themselves even said they abhorred reason and intellect. Dadaism was the very antithesis of Intellectualism.

They were all about ... " anarchy.... " chaos "... and " confusion "... and " unconventionality "

Dadaism was actually a very simple concept to grasp.

If we wanted one word to describe Dadaism, it would most fittingly be that of : " nonsense ", imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I get the "fog" bit. But my eyes do roll back into my head with Dada description of the fog's "paroxysms".

I think that Bill Clinton once used "Dadaisms" when he was asked a question and replied under oath: "Well, it depends upon what the meaning of the word 'is' is". I think this could be an example of modern day Dada "paroxysms". It did give Prosecutors a fit, so it was a "paroxysm" If not, then the "fog paroxysm " phrase might need some peroxide or something, imo, as I have no idea what Dada is talking about with this nonsense.

Heh. I remember the conservative columnist William Safire being torn between his political dislike of Clinton and his admiration for Clinton's careful word parsing -- because Safire was also a grammarian. (Clinton's tricky formulation meant to convey that "is" and "was" are not the same word.) "Paroxysm" has multiple meanings, by the way. Last week I saw a play, set about 30 years before the Dada movement, about doctors in inducing "paroxysms" (mostly in women) as a treatment for "hysteria". (Huh. I see that there's a movie called "hysteria" appearing soon on the same topic.) I think the Blue Devils' production will be nothing like that! (No male nudity, for instance.)

Their description of the show is very poorly written. It feels like someones freshmen college paper where they try to use all big words in order to get a simple point across.

Maybe the description itself is meant to be Dada?

There was NOTHING about Dadaism that was " intellectual ".

They themselves even said they abhorred reason and intellect. Dadaism was the very antithesis of Intellectualism.

They were all about ... " anarchy.... " chaos "... and " confusion "... and " unconventionality "

Dadaism was actually a very simple concept to grasp.

If we wanted one word to describe Dadaism, it would most fittingly be that of : " nonsense ", imo.

So, do I get royalties?!?

(Ballet Mécanique)

("Kiki du Montparnasse")

(Rhythmus 23)

DaDa (L'Étoile de mer)

Are those Dada? Or Surrealist? Or Futurist? Or simply Modernist or "abstract"?

About BD "giving the middle finger" through this show to everyone... well.... they have good experience doing that already in the past...

ph34r.gifdevil.gif

• Like 4

Are those Dada? Or Surrealist? Or Futurist? Or simply Modernist or "abstract"?

BD 2012 should play a finale with the song " Ball of Confusion " ( by The Temptations )

Oh, I see. Dadaists were simply early-20th Century hipsters.

Hopefully, the Blue Devils' show doesn't fit Carl Jung's description of Dada art: "It's too idiotic to be schizophrenic."

But maybe instead Marcel Janco's description: "At the Cabaret Voltaire we began by shocking common sense, public opinion, education, institutions, museums, good taste, in short, the whole prevailing order."

I must say I'm ambivalent about the whole concept, but the idea that the Blue Devils are going to come out with a show this summer that is blatantly offensive and in bad taste does cheer my heart a little. A big middle finger to the judges and the audience? I'd find that amusing/entertaining just to watch people spontaneously combust in angst. :thumbup:

Actually, the only fingers exchanged between BD and the Judges in the last 5 years have been the first and second fingers.cool.gif ....and that won't be changing any time soon!

• Like 2