2012 Blue Devils

Well, I wanted my own potty not a communal potty, so I guess communism was a non starter for me even before I could utter the word " mine ".

Typical Capootalist!

I think I thunk too munsch the utter day... 's why I have a haddock

This has been known to lead to indigestion too.

Many Dadaists believed that the 'reason' and 'logic' of bourgeois capitalist society had led people into war. They expressed their rejection of that ideology in artistic expression that appeared to reject logic and embrace chaos and irrationality. For example, George Grosz later recalled that his Dadaist art was intended as a protest "against this world of mutual destruction."

According to Hans Richter, Dada was not art, it was "anti-art." Everything for which art stood, Dada represented the opposite. Where art was concerned with traditional aesthetics, Dada ignored aesthetics. If art was to appeal to sensibilities, Dada was intended to offend. Through their rejection of traditional culture and aesthetics, the Dadaists hoped to destroy traditional culture and aesthetics.

As Hugo Ball expressed it, "For us, art is not an end in itself ... but it is an opportunity for the true perception and criticism of the times we live in."

A reviewer from the American Art News stated at the time that "Dada philosophy is the sickest, most paralyzing and most destructive thing that has ever originated from the brain of man." Art historians have described Dada as being, in large part, a "reaction to what many of these artists saw as nothing more than an insane spectacle of collective homicide."

Years later, Dada artists described the movement as "a phenomenon bursting forth in the midst of the postwar economic and moral crisis, a savior, a monster, which would lay waste to everything in its path. [it was] a systematic work of destruction and demoralization... In the end it became nothing but an act of sacrilege."

Oh, I see. Dadaists were simply early-20th Century hipsters.

Hopefully, the Blue Devils' show doesn't fit Carl Jung's description of Dada art: "It's too idiotic to be schizophrenic."

But maybe instead Marcel Janco's description: "At the Cabaret Voltaire we began by shocking common sense, public opinion, education, institutions, museums, good taste, in short, the whole prevailing order."

I must say I'm ambivalent about the whole concept, but the idea that the Blue Devils are going to come out with a show this summer that is blatantly offensive and in bad taste does cheer my heart a little. A big middle finger to the judges and the audience? I'd find that amusing/entertaining just to watch people spontaneously combust in angst. :thumbup:

• Like 2

the idea that the Blue Devils are going to come out with a show this summer that is blatantly offensive and in bad taste does cheer my heart a little. A big middle finger to the judges and the audience? I'd find that amusing/entertaining just to watch people spontaneously combust in angst. :thumbup:

Either that, or " spontaneously combust " in collective laughter.

This show could wind up becoming comic relief watching THEIR "angst" with the world.

Lots of intriguing possibilities here with this show, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

Or, the short version: we are self absorbed, mostly rich, navel gazers that are in our 20's that like to hang out in posh and toney Zurich, Switzerland and our favorite word is " Wah "

Self-absorbed? Sure, everyone is to some extent. But they were pretty #### poor (didn't drink ###### beer ironically) and Zurich at that time was not all that nice (dirt streets... indoor plumbing was becoming all the rage). Most were refugees from the war or immigrants from super posh places like Romania. smile.gif

Hopefully, the Blue Devils' show doesn't fit Carl Jung's description of Dada art: "It's too idiotic to be schizophrenic."

But maybe instead Marcel Janco's description: "At the Cabaret Voltaire we began by shocking common sense, public opinion, education, institutions, museums, good taste, in short, the whole prevailing order."

I must say I'm ambivalent about the whole concept, but the idea that the Blue Devils are going to come out with a show this summer that is blatantly offensive and in bad taste does cheer my heart a little. A big middle finger to the judges and the audience? I'd find that amusing/entertaining just to watch people spontaneously combust in angst. :thumbup:

Toilet paper, beach balls, banners, flags, and signs. There have been many ways that DCI crowds have shown enthusiasm for a favored show.

If we get that "middle finger" from BD, then I'd suggest recipients simply hold up fully-bunned, ready to eat, hot dog at the opener, enjoy the meal slowly during the show, then throw the wrappers at the cutoff in ambivalent soliarity. Then, in unison and during the inevitable golf-clap silence when it's over, release a collective belch as BD leaves the field. (Finally, the echo would be useful!) Preferably, the burps should be timed with the bass drum's exit cadence.

In Dada-istic comparison and contrast to, say, Phantom's 1812, for example. Or 2008.

The final and deserving finale to Dada before he, and his "movement", are again mercifully lost from memory.

Now, that would be entertaining.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 3

More likely reality.... here is some cool music... some cool visual concepts... let's string them together with some sort of theme that makes sense.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it will really be all that deep, ponderous or intellectually challenging... but will, instead, be some killer playing, drumming, spinning and some kids executing the #### out of it while having a great time.

Again, maybe just me, but... I wouldn't read too much into it beyond just cool music and concepts. The lengthy explanation and additional details could just simply be the product of the age we live in where there is an expectation of a volume of information since it is so easily available. Dunno.

• Like 3

Self-absorbed? Sure, everyone is to some extent. But they were pretty #### poor (didn't drink ###### beer ironically) and Zurich at that time was not all that nice (dirt streets... indoor plumbing was becoming all the rage). Most were refugees from the war or immigrants from super posh places like Romania. smile.gif

Some. But most were rich. Hans Richter, one of the major Dadaists there in posh Zurich, Switzerland for example, would be considered a modern day Trust Fund kid. His riches were.. pardon the pun... off the Richter scale at age 22. Like I said, these were mostly Anarchists... although Lenin had a pad up the block and frequented their nightclub a lot. Fights at the Club Voltaire were common. Among audience and performers, and among the Dada performers themselves. Anarchists, as most know, can't agree on anything, and so the Nightclub " Club Voltaire " closed down after only a couple of years of chaos and bedlam there.

Edited by BRASSO

Toilet paper, beach balls, banners, flags, and signs. There have been many ways that DCI crowds have shown enthusiasm for a favored show.

If we get that "middle finger" from BD, then I'd suggest recipients simply hold up fully-bunned, ready to eat, hot dog at the opener, enjoy the meal slowly during the show, then throw the wrappers at the cutoff in ambivalent soliarity. Then, in unison and during the inevitable golf-clap silence when it's over, release a collective belch as BD leaves the field. (Finally, the echo would be useful!) Preferably, the burps should be timed with the bass drum's exit cadence.

In Dada-istic comparison and contrast to, say, Phantom's 1812, for example. Or 2008.

The final and deserving finale to Dada before he, and his "movement", are again mercifully lost from memory.

Now, that would be entertaining.

Hey G, are there 12 or FIFTEEN buns per hotdog bun package? I can't remember.

What other corps get drawn and quartered before we even hear the first note? You can't buy that buzz!!