George Hopkins

The line in the sand for a very long time has been woodwinds. It is the one non-element of drum corps that keeps it unique. I would rather the activity die through a slow, proud, and historical existence than to simply prostitute woodwinds into the activity in order to live a few more years in agony and humility. One can't argue that drum corps quality is better now than it was ten years ago. For the most part, I don't mind technological advances that improve the overall quality of performance.

However, let's be honest with one another here; woodwinds on the field suck.

• Like 5

Here's an often missed point in the grand scheme of things.

Entrepreneurs start businesses because they like it (whatever they've started). And the business becomes successful because other people end up liking it to. There is something interesting and unique about the business. There used to be something interesting and unique about DCI. G bugles, for example, were part of that.

What George has done is this, "Hey people like drum corps. But I bet if I changed it (homogenized it), more people would like it." Except he/we've/DCI has gotten to the point where the activity has lost it's original (and loyal) customer base, and it's in a constant search for new customers because it doesn't realize it has lost the old ones. Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseam. It's like a pilot that pulls his plane off course and then ends up in a death spiral. Except George can't figure out why he's in a death spiral and his solution is to keep trying to turn the plane (activity) more.

Quite sad, actually.

• Like 2

Entrepreneurs start businesses because they like it (whatever they've started). And the business becomes successful because other people end up liking it to. There is something interesting and unique about the business. There used to be something interesting and unique about DCI. G bugles, for example, were part of that.

What George has done is this, "Hey people like drum corps. But I bet if I changed it (homogenized it), more people would like it." Except he/we've/DCI has gotten to the point where the activity has lost it's original (and loyal) customer base, and it's in a constant search for new customers because it doesn't realize it has lost the old ones. Wash, rinse, repeat ad nauseam. It's like a pilot that pulls his plane off course and then ends up in a death spiral. Except George can't figure out why he's in a death spiral and his solution is to keep trying to turn the plane (activity) more.

Quite sad, actually.

:worthy:

Quite sad, actually.

George isn't the pilot. He doesn't run DCI and he's not even in the board anymore. He's an influential voice. And if people see him as this mastermind then obviously his reasons resonate with some people. Everything he's proposed could not have been done by himself.

What boggles my mind is that people blame George for everything when really the only person to blame would be te CEO of DCI Dan Acheson since it's his organization. If there are less people at DCI events Dan should be the only name we should be talking about.

#justsayin

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

George isn't the pilot. He doesn't run DCI and he's not even in the board anymore. He's an influential voice. And if people see him as this mastermind then obviously his reasons resonate with some people. Everything he's proposed could not have been done by himself.

What boggles my mind is that people blame George for everything when really the only person to blame would be te CEO of DCI Dan Acheson since it's his organization. If there are less people at DCI events Dan should be the only name we should be talking about.

#justsayin

you obviously misunderstand Dans job description. His job is to carry out what the BOD wants, not run things as he sees fit.

and for many years George was THE voice of the BOD.

• Like 1

You notice all of the big changes happened when George was on the BOD. Now he isn't... and there hasn't been a major change except the sheets for this year since the shake up.

Dan doesn't really have all that much power. It's the BOD who has power. Dan is there to run the business side of things. And do what the BOD wants to do. Do I think he should speak up more as a business man and take a little more control? Yes... but it's just like the President of the US... he can't do anything without Congress' support.

you obviously misunderstand Dans job description. His job is to carry out what the BOD wants, not run things as he sees fit.

and for many years George was THE voice of the BOD.

You can down vote me but I won't give blame to a single member of the BOD. Sure he's most outspoken but the blame is with EVERYoNe at DCI not just George.

• Like 2

You can down vote me but I won't give blame to a single member of the BOD. Sure he's most outspoken but the blame is with EVERYoNe at DCI not just George.

I didn't red mark you. One has to truly be vile in order for me to go there, and you weren't even close.

But, after talking with many people who have been in the room, I'm far closer to the truth than you are. he was the 1000 pound gorilla in the room. getting up and pacing during his spiels, demanding other corps finances be audited because they spent better than he did and he couldn't believe it...yet not opening his books when called out.

I know, and I say this with kindness, that you have soft spot for them. I have a soft spot for the corps itself...I have former students there, and I wish them the best. I'm sure Gibbs is probably as much to blame as Hop is, but then again, Gibbs is A LOT smarter about how he conducts his business.

But hey, I'm just the guy that got the G7 presentation and leaked it on here...what do I know or what do my connections know?

• Like 1

You notice all of the big changes happened when George was on the BOD. Now he isn't... and there hasn't been a major change except the sheets for this year since the shake up.

Dan doesn't really have all that much power. It's the BOD who has power. Dan is there to run the business side of things. And do what the BOD wants to do. Do I think he should speak up more as a business man and take a little more control? Yes... but it's just like the President of the US... he can't do anything without Congress' support.

George proposed action that apparently many BOD members agreed with. George didn't control the votes did he? He was persuasive and ppl agreed with his idea.

• Like 2

George proposed action that apparently many BOD members agreed with. George didn't control the votes did he? He was persuasive and ppl agreed with his idea.

or people decided arguing with him was pointless.

but...given the drastic change in the makeup of the board...well, it's easy to see why things were done one way then, a different way now...

• Like 1