George Hopkins

except the marching band world is tied to public tax dollars in almost every instance.

drum corps can't be

it's what he said in the podcast -- NOT what I said.

uggh..

MY point was this: the woodwind proposal has nothing to do with breaking new ground and everything to do with money.

FWIW Hop's argument is consistent and makes sense (even if you don't agree with it).

If you add WW's then drum corps literally is marching band. So you can pitch for financial support based on 'we're the pinnacle of the marching band activity'.

hard to make that pitch if you exclude WW's.

besides who says he wouldn't like some of that public money?

Edited by corpsband

uggh..

MY point was this: the woodwind proposal has nothing to do with breaking new ground and everything to do with money.

FWIW Hop's argument is consistent and makes sense (even if you don't agree with it).

If you add WW's then drum corps literally is marching band. So you can pitch for financial support based on 'we're the pinnacle of the marching band activity'.

Except all drum corps are marching bands and they happen to be the pinnacle of marching band. However, not all marching bands are drum corps.

All of the changes and yet we crave that classic sound and the excitement it creates.

Pardon the bit of honking here, but a perfectly good example of this was at the Akron show. A buddy of mine went to the show. Do you know what he said received the most applause from any corps at the contest?

YouTube the Bluecoats playing The Boxer in the encore at Akron and see what kind of a response they received. ;)

Except all drum corps are marching bands and they happen to be the pinnacle of marching band. However, not all marching bands are drum corps.

hard to make that argument when your activity -- by design -- limits participation to brass players only.

All of the changes and yet we crave that classic sound and the excitement it creates.

Pardon the bit of honking here, but a perfectly good example of this was at the Akron show. A buddy of mine went to the show. Do you know what he said received the most applause from any corps at the contest?

Hint: It was after the show concluded and was pure acoustical awesomeness.

I can relate to your buddy. I only get to one show a year if nothing goes wrong, but most of the time the encore by whomever is my favorite part of the show. If only someone had not decided to decrease the length of the encore. Several years ago I was at a show near Pittsburgh and Madison had the encore. They dang near made the press box shake with that hornline. One of those moments to remember for me. Sorry to go a tad off topic but I just had to toss this in.

uggh..

He doesn't deserve the public money, because he already doesn't spend and budget wisely.... that just opens up a whole bag of worms. Actually.. to think about it... eh'd probably spend it better than it would get spent otherwise.... but still. ugh... stop me before I go on a political rant. hahaha

But he is working on a very thin line of logic.

And even with the public money, it wouldn't be enough to make up for the loss of fans.

I think it's naive to think that adding WWs would bring in a lot more fans anyway.

In fact, we really haven't seen any recent changes allow for more revenue or more fans. But we have lost fans. Not enough to really hurt anything... or anyone to really be alarmed. And in today's economy it takes even longer for the young fans and alumni to get to the point to where they can support the activity as todays older fans do.

He doesn't deserve the public money, because he already doesn't spend and budget wisely.... that just opens up a whole bag of worms. Actually.. to think about it... eh'd probably spend it better than it would get spent otherwise.... but still. ugh... stop me before I go on a political rant. hahaha

But he is working on a very thin line of logic.

And even with the public money, it wouldn't be enough to make up for the loss of fans.

I think it's naive to think that adding WWs would bring in a lot more fans anyway.

In fact, we really haven't seen any recent changes allow for more revenue or more fans. But we have lost fans. Not enough to really hurt anything... or anyone to really be alarmed. And in today's economy it takes even longer for the young fans and alumni to get to the point to where they can support the activity as todays older fans do.

Again -- it's about driving more dollars into the income stream not about fans.

Marching is a niche activity.

Drum corps is a niche in a niche activity.

If your out pitching for corporate donations, you're odds of getting support for marching band are an order of magnitude better than getting support for drum corps.

I'm gonna stop arguing his points -- listen to the #### podcast. he makes the points perfectly clear.

you don't have to agree with his POV (I don't) but it makes sense.

Edited by corpsband

Switching to B-flat will bring more fans and encourage more students to audition since high school students don't play on G bugles...Yeah, cause there's WAY MORE corps now then there were in 1998.

Bringing electronics to the field will bring more fans because it will give the designers more creativity...Yeah, just look at the pics of the audience in the Martin, Tennessee show thread tonight.

The new scoring sheets will really help utilize the reaction of the audience in the scoring. Well, at least he got that one right. Look at the scores--the audience is "speaking."

• Like 1

Again -- it's about driving more dollars into the income stream not about fans.

Marching is a niche activity.

Drum corps is a niche in a niche activity.

If your out pitching for corporate donations, you're odds of getting support for marching band are an order of magnitude better than getting support for drum corps.

I'm gonna stop arguing his points -- listen to the #### podcast. he makes the points perfectly clear.

you don't have to agree with his POV (I don't) but it makes sense.

I did listen. i get his points.. I don't always agree with him.

FWIW a lot of cops directors are getting corporate sponsorships from companies outside of drum corps. Also many corps are getting quite involved in the off seasons with playing at corporate events, sporting events, etc. BDE for example. They aren't the only corps organization doing this. Hell drum lines are more popular that drum corps and marching band put together. Drum lines are a pretty hot thing right now. Especially in popular music.

YouTube the Bluecoats playing The Boxer in the encore at Akron and see what kind of a response they received. ;)

But would they have had the same reaction in say Buffalo? They were practically in their backyard in Akron with many local fans there, I assume.