George Hopkins

Wait - a thread about George Hopkins wanting woodwinds in drum corps has spawned 30+ pages of discussion in a day? While there are a million things to talk about with the start of the season. Really?? I can honestly say i dont understand this place in the slightest sometimes... :blink:

• Like 1

But would they have had the same reaction in say Buffalo? They were practically in their backyard in Akron with many local fans there, I assume.

and this is why those who think audience response should account for something are only looking at part. That can change , night to night, region, homers, little HS girls screaming for the all male corps...lol.younger fans,,,older fans.etc etc

Edited by GUARDLING

Go read the review in the Battle Creek thread. Bluecoats played it in the encore there tonight, too and. Received a similar reaction.

<devils advocate>

If all-acoustic is so audience-effective, why do the bluecoats bother to amplify anything at all?

</satan>

<devils advocate>

If all-acoustic is so audience-effective, why do the bluecoats bother to amplify anything at all?

</satan>

<Cesario's advocate>

Art.

</Ceasar>

What you have suggested is what I call pity applause. When you've experienced the real thing--a well-deserved standing O--and then pity applause (or a pity standing O), you know the difference, and you live for the former.

I call it showing respect for the members who put in the time and effort to put even a "lesser" show on the field. Having been with a corps that was reforming I know how much effort is needed to learn and put on even a last place show. Yeah I got both over the years....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I call it showing respect for the members who put in the time and effort to put even a "lesser" show on the field. Having been with a corps that was reforming I know how much effort is needed to learn and put on even a last place show. Yeah I got both over the years....

You may call it "showing respect", but when I've gotten such responses in concert, it feels more like a slap in the face. At best, I consider it inspiration to do better or a wake-up call. At worst, it's more degrading as silence. At least silence can be seen as awe. Pity applause is patronizing and demeaning. But maybe that's just me. Maybe these kids aren't driven to the same level of performance that I seek.

I understand your desire to encourage students in their educational endeavors, and I applaud it (for lack of a better word). But I think the better answer is for corps to field shows that literally pull people off their feet and leave them with no choice but to shout and scream and clap wildly. That has to be the ultimate goal. Anything short of that isn't quite failure, but it certainly isn't victory, either.

• Like 1

You may call it "showing respect", but when I've gotten such responses in concert, it feels more like a slap in the face. At best, I consider it inspiration to do better or a wake-up call. At worst, it's more degrading as silence. At least silence can be seen as awe. Pity applause is patronizing and demeaning. But maybe that's just me. Maybe these kids aren't driven to the same level of performance that I seek.

Not sure how responses at a concert and field corps performance relate but *shrug*. Have talked to some people who gave us such responses while we were rebuilding and these people were DC savvy enough to know we were going thru the crap to build for the future. And we did hear the word "respect" for what we were trying to do. IOW - the response was based on things other than the performance. LOL my first time in corps we went from last place in Prelims to 6th at Finals so have a rough idea of the differences.

Edit: And when you start beating corps some of the same people don't want to talk to you anymore. :devil:

I understand your desire to encourage students in their educational endeavors, and I applaud it (for lack of a better word). But I think the better answer is for corps to field shows that literally pull people off their feet and leave them with no choice but to shout and scream and clap wildly. That has to be the ultimate goal. Anything short of that isn't quite failure, but it certainly isn't victory, either.

Ahh if it was only that easy. :tongue:

So what is your response if a corps doesn't "pull you off your feet"?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

it's what he said in the podcast -- NOT what I said.

uggh..

MY point was this: the woodwind proposal has nothing to do with breaking new ground and everything to do with money.

FWIW Hop's argument is consistent and makes sense (even if you don't agree with it).

If you add WW's then drum corps literally is marching band. So you can pitch for financial support based on 'we're the pinnacle of the marching band activity'.

hard to make that pitch if you exclude WW's.

besides who says he wouldn't like some of that public money?

I know it's not your opinion, but it doesn't make sense unless he is trying to get everyone tied to schools.

and guess what schools are cutting first? funding for the arts.

and public school systems will want groups that will appear at their events. So, you think Crown will start doing football games?

• Like 1

hard to make that argument when your activity -- by design -- limits participation to brass players only.

gee...and here baseball doesnt take people who only want to play football. Symphonies don't take (except for maybe a special performance) drummers with a set or that want to rock out with a marching snare.

Hell Nascar doesnt take drivers that can turn right.