The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

20 hours ago, corpsband said:

Interesting trivia:

Who was the first DCI corps to bring Philip Sparke to the field? Hint: this was the piece...

ANYWAY

I wish more corps would play his music.  So much good material going to waste.  (Wonder if it's licensing fees? )

Yes.

1 minute ago, corpsband said:

Yes to which?  More corps need to play or licensing fees?

(oh and you didn't attempt a guess !!

In a previous post I wrote that Academie Musicale was the first to perform his music, 1989 with Celebration.

And yes to both. Yes more corps need to perform it, but yes it's due to cost and the fact that he pretty much stopped giving permission in the early 2000's.

His publishing company, Anglo Music, was being absurd with fees since their foundation in 2000, and were jerks long before Tresona.

11 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

In a previous post I wrote that Academie Musicale was the first to perform his music, 1989 with Celebration.

And yes to both. Yes more corps need to perform it, but yes it's due to cost and the fact that he pretty much stopped giving permission in the early 2000's.

His publishing company, Anglo Music, was being absurd with fees since their foundation in 2000, and were jerks long before Tresona.

actually they're only absurd OVER HERE.  Spark himself was apologetic about it when I reached out about it.  (This was quite some ago).  He basically said he has no say at all over the fees in the US (used the "L" word actually ) . He actually suggested that we commission a piece to avoid the fees.  It would have been cheaper with the number of pieces we were considering.  But lead time was two years and we were already well down the design process and never did follow up  :-(  He was actually a little intrigued by the show concept.

Now -- did you really know about AM?  They were my absolute favorite small corps but I had no idea they had played that piece almost 10 years before the Cadets did.  But I have no recollection of them playing it.

Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

actually they're only absurd OVER HERE.  Spark himself was apologetic about it when I reached out about it.  (This was quite some ago).  He basically said he has no say at all over the fees in the US (used the "L" word actually ) . He actually suggested that we commission a piece to avoid the fees.  It would have been cheaper with the number of pieces we were considering.  But lead time was two years and we were already well down the design process and never did follow up  :-(  He was actually a little intrigued by the show concept.

Now -- did you really know about AM?  They were my absolute favorite small corps but I had no idea they had played that piece almost 10 years before the Cadets did.  But I have no recollection of them playing it.

Thanks for the correction on Sparke. I assumed it was him, as when I was writing a show for a band in Illinois in 2005, we contacted Anglo directly and told us that the fee would be $2,000 for the 2 minutes we were hoping to do.

As for Academy Musicale, I did in fact know that. In 1994, the high school I attended used both Celebration and Year of the Dragon as our field show and our director showed us a video of Academy Musicale as a point of reference. When he retired in 1995, he gave me his personal collection of DCI videos that he had purchased, along with the vinyl records dating back to 1982.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tesmusic said:

Thanks for the correction on Sparke. I assumed it was him, as when I was writing a show for a band in Illinois in 2005, we contacted Anglo directly and told us that the fee would be $2,000 for the 2 minutes we were hoping to do.

As for Academy Musicale, I did in fact know that. In 1994, the high school I attended used both Celebration and Year of the Dragon as our field show and our director showed us a video of Academy Musicale as a point of reference. When he retired in 1995, he gave me his personal collection of DCI videos that he had purchased, along with the vinyl records dating back to 1982.

I don't know how I missed that :doh:  I really though the Cadets were the first guys to use him on the field. (And I'm jealous of your BD -- no one was playing Sparke in our design meetings that long ago.  Of course there is the other aspect (actually being able to play Sparke respectably). 

Anyway I really miss AM.  They were -- to me at least -- the most innovative small corps out there and I wish they had managed to stay afloat.   Loved their shows.  

Edited by corpsband

1 minute ago, corpsband said:

I don't know how I missed that :doh:  I really though the Cadets were the first guys to use him on the field. (And I'm jealous of your BD -- no one was playing Sparke in our design meetings that long ago.  Of course there is the other aspect (actually being able to play Spark respectably). 

Anyway I really miss AM.  They were -- to me at least -- the most innovative small corps out there and I wish they had managed to stay afloat.   Loved their shows.  

We had actually played Year of the Dragon the previous year in wind ensemble. I was very fortunate with my high school music experience.