The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Along those lines, last week I saw the University of Oklahoma wind symphony in one of the first performances of a wind ensemble transcription of Deep Field. Had an ambient Interstellar/Arrival feel to it. But some of the slower choral stuff (with audience electronics) near the end would fit in a drum corps show.

• Like 1

This is one of the most epic pieces I've ever heard. Please sit back and enjoy.

Thomas Bergersen - That's a Wrap   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3sf7NxMTqY

Edited by dciboy2000
including title and composer

1 hour ago, dciboy2000 said:

This is one of the most epic pieces I've ever heard. Please sit back and enjoy.

Thomas Bergersen - That's a Wrap   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3sf7NxMTqY

Thanks for sharing this.

I think it has swashbuckling possibilities for a great field show for BAC, Madison, or Crossmen persona. It lends itself for velocity drill which some say is already of the past unfortunately.

The Eric Whitacre piece would not draw paying drum corps audiences for too long.

It sounds like that deep field must be in Colorado with those plants they grow there. I don't imagine it being used for the "marching arts" at all.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:18 PM, Lance said:

I agree.

It's nice at work to just click on some random stuff I've never heard before. Anything that's really great percussion-wise is especially good for me since I know so little about it. 

Ask and you shall receive.  

By far my favorite thing I did in college was percussion ensemble, I have fallen in love with marimba playing the last year or so especially.  Anyone saying you can't make percussion music beautiful/melodic/tonal doesn't have a clue.  

Lots of percussion ensemble/chamber music has found its way on the field in HS and drum corps.  Bluecoats last year with Udacrep Akubrad and Jose/ Before John 5, Carolina Crown in 2014 with Shadow Behind the Iron Sun (which despite peoples reception to it on the field is actually pretty amazing and by a deaf percussionist), and many corps with Stained Glass over the years off the top of my head.  I think I've also posted the Jacob Remmington stuff I've heard in the HS world on this thread.

It can make for some amazing drum features to build around and also can be transcribed for the brass in terms of the melodic stuff (Stained Glass is the prime example).  

Some of my favorite stuff that I could easily see translating:

• Like 1

On 2/22/2017 at 11:57 AM, corpsband said:

actually they're only absurd OVER HERE.  Spark himself was apologetic about it when I reached out about it.  (This was quite some ago).  He basically said he has no say at all over the fees in the US (used the "L" word actually ) . He actually suggested that we commission a piece to avoid the fees.  It would have been cheaper with the number of pieces we were considering.  But lead time was two years and we were already well down the design process and never did follow up  :-(  He was actually a little intrigued by the show concept.

Now -- did you really know about AM?  They were my absolute favorite small corps but I had no idea they had played that piece almost 10 years before the Cadets did.  But I have no recollection of them playing it.

Maybe they played the Kool and the Gang version.   :laughing:

Actually, corpsreps does show them playing the Sparke. However, Sparke's own website shows the piece as being published in 1991. 

Cadets 97 is actually my all-time favorite Cadet show (after my era, of course!). "Celebration" and "Year of the Dragon", 

"Year of the Dragon" was written as a brass band piece, actually. The band I teach did YOTD as our opener in 97...an amazing piece. we had a great trumpet line that year). Our arranger at the time, the late, great John Arietano, brought us a brass band recording to a show design meeting. 

As for commissioning a piece, it is possible. The Hanover Wind Symphony, a community band here in NJ (that I played with when I lived in North Jersey), commissioned him to write the piece he titled  "Hanover Festival" in 1999.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Maybe they played the Kool and the Gang version.   :laughing:

Actually, corpsreps does show them playing the Sparke. However, Sparke's own website shows the piece as being published in 1991. 

Cadets 97 is actually my all-time favorite Cadet show (after my era, of course!). "Celebration" and "Year of the Dragon", 

"Year of the Dragon" was written as a brass band piece, actually. The band I teach did YOTD as our opener in 97...an amazing piece. we had a great trumpet line that year). Our arranger at the time, the late, great John Arietano, brought us a brass band recording to a show design meeting. 

As for commissioning a piece, it is possible. The Hanover Wind Symphony, a community band here in NJ (that I played with when I lived in North Jersey), commissioned him to write the piece he titled  "Hanover Festival" in 1999.

Sparke's lead time at the time was about 2 years for a commissioned piece.  I'm sure it's probably grown since then.

While 97 knocked my socks off,  I've always been partial to Stonehenge (which we actually fielded -- quite respectably too).  Never forget a performance near the end of the season where a handful of Cadets vets walked up to us after the show and congratulated us on how well we handled it.)    I was actually shocked when our brass caption head agreed we could do it;  remember driving home from that design meeting happy and terrified at the same time :-) 

It would require a really talented hornline and/or front ensemble to pull it off, but I really want to hear the first movement of Beethoven's Waldstein Sonata on the field.

22 hours ago, MikeD said:

Cadets 97 is actually my all-time favorite Cadet show (after my era, of course!). "Celebration" 

In my top 5 for favorite wind ensemble pieces. Right up there with Festival Variations by Smith for me.I know the Cavies did it back in the day, but the last 2 minutes of the piece are up there with anything Grainger and Holst wrote for band as well. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1