The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

21 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

What do they say about forbidden fruit?

I know this is one that he does not allow to be used unless it's under VERY specific circumstances and boundaries.  Unless a drum corps plans to do a show about Schindlers List without deviating much from the original it's something we will probably never see.  I know a few years ago a skater from Russia used it for her program and the Olympics and it was pretty dang beautiful (I think that she won gold that year).  

I wonder if that would really translate.  The score is good but (to me at least) it speaks so strongly because of Itzhak Perlman.  

5 hours ago, Lance said:

I've wondered why a lot of this soundtrack hasn't shown up for Div I for years. I assumed it was some sort of licensing/arranging problem, but since you did it, I guess that's wrong. 

Definitely would love to see more corps tackle this. 

Actually, I was told our band paid Tan Dun a grand total of $75 for the use of any music from the film. This was back in 2009. I did all of the charts, winds and percussion (plus cello). His people even sent us a score to use, but we had to send it back when I was done with the charts.  

I've always hoped that the Blue Devils would use "Sebastian's Theme" by Don Sebesky. I'm sure they're aware of the piece, as it's on the same album as "Bird and Bela in Bb." Sebesky took the second movement, "Siciliano" from Bach's 2nd flute Sonata in Eb and created this gem. I'll put the Sebesky first, and the original second.

If you enjoyed 1991 BD, as well as snippets of Bird and Bela in some more recent shows, you'll enjoy this.

• Like 1

Came across this interesting piece recently from Oliver Davis. Not sure how well this would translate to drum corps, but it's very modern and portions of it seem like something that could be played in today's DCI (I'm imagining Bluecoats for some reason...or perhaps SCV?). Thoughts?!

Edited by scvphan
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, scvphan said:

Came across this interesting piece recently from Oliver Davis. Not sure how well this would translate to drum corps, but it's very modern and portions of it seem like something that could be played in today's DCI (I'm imagining Bluecoats for some reason...or perhaps SCV?). Thoughts?!

Neat little piece. The Blue Knights just did Davis' "Air Waltz" this past season.

Reminds me a bit of this well-known piece by Einaudi.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scvphan said:

I just listened to that whole album. Love it. Thanks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Neat little piece. The Blue Knights just did Davis' "Air Waltz" this past season.

Reminds me a bit of this well-known piece by Einaudi.

Very interesting - I didn't realize that the Blue Knights played Davis' Air Waltz last year. I just stumbled across his music so I'm listening to all of it. According to trusty corpsreps they are the first (and only so far) corps to play any of his music. I suspect that will change and honestly I could see them playing some of his other pieces too.

Edited by scvphan

22 minutes ago, Lance said:

I just listened to that whole album. Love it. Thanks. 

I really like the album too! Thank you local classical music station for playing this the other day on the way to work. :thumbs-up:

He has several albums too you might check out. Perhaps you already have!