93 Star vs. 88 Madison

93 Star vs. 88 Madison  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which show do you prefer, 93 Star or 88 Madison

I saw both shows live. I agree with those who are saying Madison on tape doesn't do justice to the live performance. Also, they definitely peaked at their Friday performance. I thought BD had the winner that year. 93 Star got golf claps at best. I thought they were really boring. They've grown on me... but their mythology growth over the years is kinda funny.

. True regarding evaluating a Corps show watching it live as opposed to viewing in on crappy reproduction tapes decades later. I 'd imagine that we 'd have universal agreement here that seeing and hearing a Corps performance from last season live is infinately better than not seeing the show live, but only on a post show tape. And the taping technology of today is light years better than decades ago . The taping technology from decades ago is positively dreadful in comparison to capturing the panorama of sound today. Especially when it's done immediately and taped live . Edited by BRASSO

They were magnificent. Unfortunately a bunch of ######## boo BD every year. Probably the same morons that walked out in 1993 at various shows when Star would enter the field.

. Perhaps it's the same booers, but the booers in 93 , if they were, for just one example, in their late 30's would be near 60 years old in 2013 that were booing Star in '93. So my guess, the booers of Star in 93 have most likely moved on, or grew up and matured,while the majority of BD booers in 2012,2013 were of the younger, newer generation of DCI fans. But of course this is all just speculation and nobody really knows for certain. Edited by BRASSO

I chose the Scouts because in your face drum corps is what I love and heck I'm a Scout and that was a huge night for all of us.

That being said I also loved '93 Star for what they brought to drum corps- the next step in drum corps design not unlike BD brought to drum corps in '76.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that both corps marched their ##### off and the one thing both shows had in common was that Todd Ryan was the head M&M instructor in both shows.

Darn, this was a tough one.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned was that Todd Ryan was the head M&M instructor in both shows.

. It's also not been mentioned that Brian Williams says that he designed with the 88 Madison Scouts, then left DCI for 2 years to climb Mt Everest with Sherpas, 2 years working in a pet shelter, then returning to DCI in 93 to design the Visual closer for Star . I must admit I was not aware of this.

I hear you Ghost, but with each passing day, I 'm coming closer to the realization that perhaps the people who rarely or never listen to the news are probably no less accurately informed than those that regularly do. Such is the sad state of modern journalism, imo.

But, we digress....... so back on topic....

• Like 2

There's always been a debate about how much of the booing for Star 93 was in opposition to the weirdness of the show, or in more "traditional opposition" to their theft of members from other corps at their founding nine years earlier. And various untrue conspiracy theories about them buying their way into DCI, paying members, etc.

True, they hadn't been booed much in a couple of years, but I think that's because those shows were in turn Christian and patriotic and you really can't boo that. In fact (my own conspiracy theory here) I think the Star-haters probably felt that Star was trying to buy the fans (or at least silence them) with these shows the same way they had "bought" their way into DCI. And that may indeed have been the intent (winning over the fans, I mean). If you ran a corps that was getting boo'd and otherwise verbally insulted at shows, wouldn't you be tempted to do shows that would be calculated to silence that?

If that's true, then the 93 show proved that it wasn't going to work permanently; if anything the haters perhaps rebounded in fresh anger at some combination of the old grudge and opposition to the show itself. And of course, only a tiny minority actually boo'd or catcalled them, but it doesn't take many.

In comparison to BD 2012, I would say the Star show was far more innovative (that is, compared to what other corps were doing or what they had done). In fact I would say BD 2010 is far more avant garde than 2012, What's avant garde about 2012? Some unexplained props (symbols from original Dada artworks, I believe. Big deal. Or just random items.) and a little French and German? I think it's the French language itself that engenders about 90% of the criticism, given Americans' predisposition towards all things French.

Edited by Pete Freedman
  • Like 2

" I think it's the French language itself that engenders about 90% of the criticism, given Americans' predisposition towards all things French."

I hope you are not dissing Regiment '15 already, Pete.

Given how many Napoleons and croissants have been downed by myself and others your exclusive statement may be a bit wanting.

But in truth, our "first allies" aren't always so enamored with Americans and their ways, especially Yank tourists.

Pittsburgh, Indy, Vincennes, Detroit, St. Louis, Vermont and New Orleans all owe their roots to the French.