Technology in Todays Corp...

Is the new sound system better than the one they had in '94?

Oh for the love of God, technology is here and it's staying. You may not like it, I certainly don't love it, but give it a rest.

Let me guess, they would sound better with piston-rotor horns, drums on slings, marching xylophones, and a gun to signal the end is coming, right?

I would think rather than GPS devices to determine whether they are hitting their dots, it would be easier just to take overhead drone video footage and overlay it with the drill software program to show the differences between actual marching and the programmed drill.

Similar to long and multiple exposure techniques, they already use a technology in broadcasting sports where they show a video clip that adds a freeze photo of the person every few steps as the video plays, so you get a continuous track of the player's motion - that could be helpful.

But let's not forget when discussing breakthrough technological advances which can be used be drum corps - some drum corps aren't even capable of setting up a decent webpage.

I would think rather than GPS devices to determine whether they are hitting their dots, it would be easier just to take overhead drone video footage and overlay it with the drill software program to show the differences between actual marching and the programmed drill.

Similar to long and multiple exposure techniques, they already use a technology in broadcasting sports where they show a video clip that adds a freeze photo of the person every few steps as the video plays, so you get a continuous track of the player's motion - that could be helpful.

But let's not forget when discussing breakthrough technological advances which can be used be drum corps - some drum corps aren't even capable of setting up a decent webpage.

That would work also, although you would need some sort of fixed targets on the field for calibration, and probably sole sort of signaling device to identify which member is which. And a high resolution camera. 4K would be enough I'm sure. I'd have to do the math to see what the minimum resolution is, but with the advances in vision processing it would Definetly be feasible

this topic is geekiness in all its glory.

can see it now:

todd ryan and his crew fired by bd as their new IT caption head demands 20 out 20 on visual caption at first show.

todd moves to vanguard and beats bd at first show.

time and penalty judge replaced by robot.

all corps members must wear wrist bands that zap members if off their dot position by more than one cm.

vanguard counters bd move by only accepting members who are children of apple, mircosoft, google, and amazon software engineers.

viv, cisco and ebay underwrite new corps with goal of championship in their second year.

all playing members will be miced.

blue knight staff climbs to an unknown rocky mountain location to muse on the nature of humanity.

Hopkins gives himself another raise as the money saved on a.i. staff replacements.

all members required to have smart phones with a dot app- dot book manufacturers file for bankruptcy.

corps fire drivers as all tour vehicles are now driverless.

all costumes and uniforms are equipped with led lights programmed to highlight musical and visual impact points.

dci warns judging community times are a changin'.

shoe manufacturers investigate the incorporation of drones embedded in soles for greater 3d visual effects.

football fields turned into green screens as computer graphic creators demand a caption on the sheets.

jersey surf goes acoustic only with a folk song medley show.

all winter rehearsal weekends adopt a teleconference motif for members.

doctor beat developing a programmed conductor robot.

an all robot corps enters competition as a NO age corps- winter dci meeting in an uproar.

• Like 1

I would really like the corps to use this thing called "social media" before they get too far into GPS drill etc

outreach is pretty weak, some of the websites are even weak, and don't get me started on the "secrecy" which stems back to 1960-1980 drum corps paranoia lol

I mean, not all of those are unreasonable...

this topic is geekiness in all its glory.

can see it now:

todd ryan and his crew fired by bd as their new IT caption head demands 20 out 20 on visual caption at first show.

todd moves to vanguard and beats bd at first show. I mean, unlikely, but if they did move to vanguard this is what would happen

time and penalty judge replaced by robot. With advances in computer vision these days, this one isn't that far off the mark.

all corps members must wear wrist bands that zap members if off their dot position by more than one cm. Maybe not zaps... but sure, why not

vanguard counters bd move by only accepting members who are children of apple, mircosoft, google, and amazon software engineers. Its shocking how many probably are... a

viv, cisco and ebay underwrite new corps with goal of championship in their second year. I mean, if Samsung will sponsor a League of Legends esports team, its possible

all playing members will be miced. All playing memeber, except for the woodwinds. Cause nobody wants to hear them anyways

blue knight staff climbs to an unknown rocky mountain location to muse on the nature of humanity. Pretty sure they already do that...

Hopkins gives himself another raise as the money saved on a.i. staff replacements. You mean hopkins isn't a robot??

all members required to have smart phones with a dot app- dot book manufacturers file for bankruptcy. Drill book next IS pretty awesome

corps fire drivers as all tour vehicles are now driverless. This will happen sooner than you think...

all costumes and uniforms are equipped with led lights programmed to highlight musical and visual impact points. This would be awesome. A manufacturing and logistic nightmare, but awesome.

dci warns judging community times are a changin'.

shoe manufacturers investigate the incorporation of drones embedded in soles for greater 3d visual effects. Why not just use the drones? Who needs humans

football fields turned into green screens as computer graphic creators demand a caption on the sheets. Remind me to make some edits to my bluerays....

jersey surf goes acoustic only with a folk song medley show.

all winter rehearsal weekends adopt a teleconference motif for members. Nah, cause you'll have that one person who doesn't mute their mic and you can hear them talking to their wife about why they think their kid is acting out at school. Oh wait, sorry, that was the staff meeting last thursday.

doctor beat developing a programmed conductor robot. As a former drum major, we really could just be replaced by a bunch of big flashing lights. 9/10th of the job was leadership, the conducting is something a monkey could do.

an all robot corps enters competition as a NO age corps- winter dci meeting in an uproar. Probably a result of the drone shoe research.

I would really like the corps to use this thing called "social media" before they get too far into GPS drill etc

outreach is pretty weak, some of the websites are even weak, and don't get me started on the "secrecy" which stems back to 1960-1980 drum corps paranoia lol

I was considering offering to remake Louisiana Stars website for them for free, so I could have an example in my "code portfolio" and they could have a website that didn't look like it was made in the 1990's... but then I realized that its way too big of a project to do in my spare time... and my javascript and HTML skills are pretty rusty...

Oh for the love of God, technology is here and it's staying. You may not like it, I certainly don't love it, but give it a rest.

Let me guess, they would sound better with piston-rotor horns, drums on slings, marching xylophones, and a gun to signal the end is coming, right?

No, not especially. I've just never heard someone hyping how good a corps' speaker system is. Unless you sit in between the 35's at a show you can't hear them anyways.

Well, this isn't exactly the same thing, but tonight Bluecoats used a drone for overhead views of the corps hitting sets.

I was the one flying the drone for them! The main purpose though was for the media team to use the footage in the True Bloo series of videos on YouTube.

GPS for drill is 'beyond the pale' in terms of effective use. The drill ultimately has to be clean from the box perspective, by the eye. Besides, there is nothing more useful and accurate than a painted dot/line or 'pick' object on the field itself when learning or cleaning drill. Using GPS to tell you something that a spot of field paint or tape can tell you without dependencies is kinda like just playing with a toy because it's fun... or to say that you 'have technology'.

Seems to me that drones are most useful because it gets you to any press box position that you want, without the time and effort of scaffolding or rehearsal space acquisition.