Cadets 2017

6 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Oh the judges know exactly what this is about.

I think that this is an era, though, where the judges (particularly in GE) are looking at the shows via a reflection of the audience.  And I personally appreciate that perspective... for the sake of fans.

Some of the top winning BD shows in the past few years hardly met that criteria so if Cadets can get performance levels high along with visual/musical clarity, they'll win over the audiences. 

50 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Again.  Bernstein's Mass is much more FOR the atheists than anyone else.  It's a really divisive choice for source material... and even more divisive to choose to present it as closely as possible to the theatrical experience.

The more that people are aware of that, then perhaps the more people will enjoy the show (from all sides)... but I don't understand why the audience should be put under those conditions.

Yes, I understand. But atheists don't like any religious association/exposure whatsoever lol

but I'm sure any atheists on the Cadets are just enjoying the opportunity to march in a drum corps

Just now, wallace said:

No, the Mass ends with the Holy Spirit restoring the faith of the three choirs and a new altar server returning them in song to adoring and praising the Body and Blood of Christ. Doubt does not equate to atheistic skepticism in this case. The sacrilege in Mass is the Celebrant's profane destruction of the Eucharist which, according to the Council of Trent, is an offense that can potentially be punished by excommunication.

Not to turn this into a theological discussion... but the atheist enjoys the exposition of hypocrisy, contradiction and conflict in religion.  And that is why the 'enlightened atheist' can have such an appreciation for the work.  It certainly doesn't profess any sort of apologetic for humanism, if that's what you inferred from my comment.

23 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I (and it seems like a lot of others) want the show to be more abstract and less literal. The music is more "esoteric" than other corps in that it has actual substance and nuance instead of just smashing the audience with "impact moments" and I hope they scale back the non-musical to match that. However, history tells us that 1) judges will say "I don't get it" in critique a lot so 2) they will make everything MORE literal (and embarassing) and less subtle as finals approaches (see 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016). So we'll see

That design team is long gone. I agree about the cheese (see Cavies). Agree subtly will had fuel to this show more than blatant silliness. Good thing is they are easy quick fixes. 

Just now, Cappybara said:

Yes, I understand. But atheists don't like any religious association/exposure whatsoever lol

but I'm sure any atheists on the Cadets are just enjoying the opportunity to march in a drum corps

I would bet my bottom dollar that this is exactly the kind of discussion that Hopkins would appreciate coming out of their production...

I do NOT mean that in any way other than that I believe that Hopkins is a true believe in the impact of art.

• Like 1

Just now, Tobias said:

On the other side.  They sound and look amazing... they always do.  I just don't get the decision-making that is going on.

WELL that's a start....

They looked and sounded amazing last year too... I don't recall that ever being a problem for the Cadets.

1 minute ago, Tobias said:

That design team is long gone. I agree about the cheese (see Cavies). Agree subtly will had fuel to this show more than blatant silliness. Good thing is they are easy quick fixes. 

Cavies' cheese is intentional. It's satirical. 

Cadets' cheese (in 2014 atleast) was incompetence, to put it bluntly 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Not to turn this into a theological discussion... but the atheist enjoys the exposition of hypocrisy, contradiction and conflict in religion.  And that is why the 'enlightened atheist' can have such an appreciation for the work.  It certainly doesn't profess any sort of apologetic for humanism, if that's what you inferred from my comment.

I agree with this. However, thats a very small audience base. I agree that the Cadets could have gone with something a bit more... universal BUT that doesn't mean that this show is doomed in any way. 

If they can find the balance between subtlety and the literal, I think this show can become more appealing to a wider audience

• Like 1

Cavies' cheese is intentional. It's satirical. 

Cadets' cheese (in 2014 atleast) was incompetence, to put it bluntly 

I get the cheese is intentional, glitz, Hollywood, glitter thing. But it still gets very old very quickly. It's there, you watch, giggle and like it. After several viewings, where does it go? Some of BDs greatest shows, you'd see little things you never noticed up until finals and frankly they didn't want you to see every one of them. 

I agree with this. However, thats a very small audience base. I agree that the Cadets could have gone with something a bit more... universal BUT that doesn't mean that this show is doomed in any way. 

If they can find the balance between subtlety and the literal, I think this show can become more appealing to a wider audience

boy... we might as well be talking about political figures here...

• Like 1