11 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

There's so much misinformation in this thread I chalk most of it up to snarky 

so tom is back there writing the percussion, just like the 90s and 2s 

sully is there

arranger arranged cadets in 95

And yes Hop is there 

Cool job.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Good grief. No one was criticizing the sewing ladies. They are the best!

Sometimes your passion can make you r a little defensive. Everyone wants these corps to do well. We are all fans! 

(Well 99.95% or us)

Didn't realize I was being defensive George. I thought I was sharing from personal experience instead of opinion.  I'll be a little more thoughtful with my posts.

Fan of the Arts

26 minutes ago, cowtown said:

So my thoughts on last night…

I enjoyed the music and was fine with the choir and the voice overs. I’m sure you’re stunned but I’m a fan of the original and listen to the entire thing a few times a year and they did a good job with the source material. Well done.

Costume: more shock, as a dinosaur I’m not into the entire costume / uniform debate, it if looks good and works, cool. Cadets' first 2 outfits work, the third needs a gold sash or cummerbund to give them definition at the waist and shape their bodies.  As is, they look they need their diapers changed in their onesies because they don’t fit.

My issue with their costume is I feel they are relying on costume changes for far too much of their visual design and it’s just not enough.  Borg Trigger warning; their visual is completely lacking. They have zero, memorable drill impacts; about the only thing they had going last night was a follow-me guided through the pews.  If Cavies forgot to write a brass books, Cadets forgot to write drill. The drill they did preform was very middling, the sort I’d expect in the 8-10 place range. There is no musicality in their visual package, it’s a major disconnect. Watch their drill from 83 (the primitive genesis of musical drill) for an example of what’s missing. Think about it, Cadets don’t have any good drill :bored:. The show didn’t look modern to me, maybe if they did it in 2006 it would have and I’m OK with that as I like traditional shows. But if that was their goal, nope. The props were too heavy on the field with too little pay-off, it only added to the clumsy, weighted-down feel of the show. A Mass without grace? Yes, it’s early and maybe they can make it up with their last 90 seconds being killer drill. I smell a company front coming as they need to get people off their feet and clapping 

The most worrisome thing though, their members looked completely stressed while the others corps appeared to be having the time of their lives. It sort of echoed that extremely awkward staff video Hop uploaded. Maybe they were all tired and had a bad day or maybe….

Was really hopeful that Cadets would come out of the gate with another Angels and Demons, so we would be talking about how great it is instead of the above. I don't see how the third uniform concept ever got past the first meeting. I realize that things change and evolve as the season progresses, but I was hopeful that it would be how all the other corps evolve, meaning adding to and layering.

If Boston comes out with a show that blows us away, look out below.

Suddenly I am not looking forward to reading this thread as we go forward. 

I though their 2015 show should have won. I loved 12.25. WTF do I know about drum corps, right?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I though their 2015 show should have won. I loved 12.25. WTF do I know about drum corps, right?

I think any of the top 4 could have won that year. It will say it was quite a feat that the Cadets won brass with that insane drill.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Was really hopeful that Cadets would come out of the gate with another Angels and Demons, so we would be talking about how great it is instead of the above. I don't see how the third uniform concept ever got past the first meeting. I realize that things change and evolve as the season progresses, but I was hopeful that it would be how all the other corps evolve, meaning adding to and layering.

If Boston comes out with a show that blows us away, look out below.

Suddenly I am not looking forward to reading this thread as we go forward. 

The kick off response last night on DCP was more positive than that first night in 2011 when the comments were tilted way negative 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The kick off response last night on DCP was more positive than that first night in 2011 when the comments were tilted way negative 

You're a glass half full guy. The older I get the more I like to hang around with people like you. Life is too darn short....

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I wouldn't exactly take the response of DCP as a reflection of what is really happening, George. To be frank, most posters on DCP have no idea what they are talking about. 

Edited by henry7184

37 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

You're a glass half full guy. The older I get the more I like to hang around with people like you. Life is too darn short....

I try to be! 

8 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I wouldn't exactly take the response of DCP as a reflection of what is really happening, George. To be frank, most posters on DCP have no idea what they are talking about. 

It's a data point