Switching Corps

This is from a current thread on the DCI page but did it happen in your corps?

We had it happen a few times as I remember 2 or 3 individuals left to join St. Joe's, 2 left in 1974 to march Phantom Regiment.

My time with DCA's Sunrisers, we had folks who went to other corps.  We had a couple of guys who marched with us for a few seasons, then went to the Madison Scouts for their age-out years... at least one guard person went to the Bridgemen for the same thing. One of the "Sunrisers to Scouts" age-outs rejoined us for the last couple of weeks of one DCA season to fill a horn spot that had opened up, and stayed for the next season before getting out of drum corps for a while. 

We had a couple of folks who left us for other senior/all-age corps... but that "lateral move" didn't happen often back then.  Seemed to become more prevalent in the late 1980s and beyond. Not just for us, but other DCA corps.

Edited by Fran Haring

Now... the local-circuit junior corps I was with... a bunch of us New Jersey folks "moved up" to the Sunrisers throughout the 1970s. 

John Arietano...one of Sun's star soloists and eventually their brass arranger... also arranged the brass charts for our junior corps. He persuaded my older brother to join Sun for the 1974 season... and that opened up the "Jersey Crew" pipeline.  We had a lot of fun, to say the least.  LOL.

"Moving on Up  (And Out)":

Our Bridgeport Ct junior corps had experienced our most successful season of our short tenure way back in 1965.  We had managed to defeat BOTH our cross town rivals,  (Beating one of them in the Finals of the World Open, right IN old Bridgeport).

However, over the winter a number  of our senior and most experienced members either "retired", or decided that the grass was "Greener" way up on Route Eight in  Shelton and went off to DCA, competition on their way to an American Legion Championship and for several of them a tour of duty in the old USAF Academy drum corps.

Even with the serious loss of those veterans, we had a good season in 1966, with an upset win over the rising Delaware Blue Rock corps, but faded badly at the end which resulted in the corps folding.

We were not the victims of a "Raid".  The boys who left had been with the Parish corps prior to the split and  were all "Original Members" of the Lancers.  They most likely felt they had gone as far as they were going to with a junior corps and wanted to try their luck with the next "Level".

Elphaba  :flower:

Edited by elphaba01

Happened all the time "back then". Kids moved especially from lower level to higher level. Most of Garfield in my era came from smaller class 'B' corps...a lot from the GSC area. I moved from a parade corps to a GSC corps to Garfield myself. . 

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:39 PM, Fran Haring said:

My time with DCA's Sunrisers, we had folks who went to other corps.  We had a couple of guys who marched with us for a few seasons, then went to the Madison Scouts for their age-out years... at least one guard person went to the Bridgemen for the same thing. One of the "Sunrisers to Scouts" age-outs rejoined us for the last couple of weeks of one DCA season to fill a horn spot that had opened up, and stayed for the next season before getting out of drum corps for a while. 

We had a couple of folks who left us for other senior/all-age corps... but that "lateral move" didn't happen often back then.  Seemed to become more prevalent in the late 1980s and beyond. Not just for us, but other DCA corps.

I'm one of those "couple of" who left.  Moved from Sunrisers after 83 to Reading.  Didn 't happen very often IIRC.  No regrets though because it was the happiest time of my marching career.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All I know is in 76 I should have gone to the east bay and not down south.

• Like 1

Most of members were loyal to our local corps in 1965.  One year our soloist left our corps to join the Selden Cadets.  He found out the being a small fish in a bigger pond wasn't as much fun as playing with his friends, and being the big fish.  He had to get voted back in.  We each cast a white or black ball. Luckily, for him he wasn't black balled out of the corps. 

Grenadier

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 9:14 AM, MikeD said:

Happened all the time "back then". Kids moved especially from lower level to higher level. Most of Garfield in my era came from smaller class 'B' corps...a lot from the GSC area. I moved from a parade corps to a GSC corps to Garfield myself. . 

After 1962, it was very rare for anyone to leave the Vanguard to join another corps. I can only recall one member from that era leaving to join another corps. When members left, it was the end of their Jr. Corps experience.