Crown = Star

since when is new fans or fans making connections and seeking knowledge a bad thing for any activity?

not everybody who has become a dci fan in the past few years is familiar with its amazing history, and it's pretty stupid to expect them to scour dcp making sure they don't bring up what we might've last talked about several months or even years. 

on a side note, one of the most stunning moments in dci history happened to me last year with crown. the first taste of medea is actually not something that star even played. klesch took some liberty with the chord structure in that opening hit. but the last medea hit was pretty much exactly what star played almost a quarter of a century ago. i can't describe how much it impacted me when i heard it the first time in june. 

• Like 5

I agree with the sentiment that newer fans can be given a pass if they bring up a topic that might've been discussed before, while also acknowledging the fact that for long time DCP'ers, a topic may have been covered, and in great detail, a time or two ( or 3 or 4) before on here, and that's a bit frustrating for them. I guess, we all learn to pick and choose what interests us on here, and learn to scroll by topics and discussions that don't interest us, irrespective of whether or not its a new topic or one what that's been  discussed on here before.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, Lance said:

on a side note, one of the most stunning moments in dci history happened to me last year with crown. the first taste of medea is actually not something that star even played. klesch took some liberty with the chord structure in that opening hit. but the last medea hit was pretty much exactly what star played almost a quarter of a century ago. i can't describe how much it impacted me when i heard it the first time in june. 

The best observation I can make about the relationship of Crown and Star: many Star alumni have "adopted" Crown.   IMHO that speaks for itself.

i agree -- It was pretty exciting to hear that full on Medea hit for the first time.  

Crown has shied away from most of the Star repertoire.   

I'm still patiently waiting for Belshazzar's Feast.  

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I'm sorry if I frustrated anybody posting this thread. It definitely wasn't my intention to. I just wanted to have some discussion regarding the similarities between Crown and Star. I'll try my best next time to look and see if I'm repeating a topic. I can understand the backlash my posting of this topic is getting. Sorry!

32 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

I'm sorry if I frustrated anybody posting this thread. It definitely wasn't my intention to. I just wanted to have some discussion regarding the similarities between Crown and Star. I'll try my best next time to look and see if I'm repeating a topic. I can understand the backlash my posting of this topic is getting. Sorry!

lol I never said I personally was frustrated.  More of it's interesting how it's interesting that it is always a connection that's been made, at least in my time following the activity since 09.   It pops up a lot so there's obviously something to it.  

No ill intent here, just an observation.   Commence.   I'll go hide in the corner with my back scratcher since I'm apparantley being grouchy.   Maybe it was those 3 dots...

Edited by DrumManTx

10 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

lol I never said I personally was frustrated.  More of it's interesting how it's interesting that it is always a connection that's been made, at least in my time following the activity since 09.   It pops up a lot so there's obviously something to it.  

No ill intent here, just an observation.   Commence.   I'll go hide in the corner with my back scratcher since I'm apparantley being grouchy.   Maybe it was those 3 dots...

My comment wasn't directed towards anybody in particular. Just a general apology. I don't like it when other people aren't very happy (if that's a good way to describe it) with me or my actions. I try to appease everybody. 

2 minutes ago, DawsonBurnes said:

My comment wasn't directed towards anybody in particular. Just a general apology. I don't like it when other people aren't very happy (if that's a good way to describe it) with me or my actions. I try to appease everybody. 

You don't need to apologize to DrumMan!  He's just suffering from a bout of indigestion! 

1 hour ago, DawsonBurnes said:

That will be very frustrating and tiring putting out every smoldering whimper and ash. You seek to be a leader. Leaders have to make decisions, assess consequences to the best of abilities beforehand, have a back-up plan in case of unexpected surprises, and then move forward when discerning the greater value and action. In leadership, one is sensitive but doesn't base most judgments on the fringe factions of the bell curve.

Because you write well and ;present yourself clearly some of the DCPers don't realize your age and newness to the activity. That's a strength, not a weakness. Your enthusiasm tinged with idealism is refreshing.

Now get back to your homework so you don't have to go to summer school. Plus there's your  euphonium that needs attention after that; it's not going to win a Jim Ott by itself.:innocent:

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

no. Star was a blessedly unique corps, and was roundly hated at the time, whereas Crown is a darling.